Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Self Moderated Rare Interview with IRA Volunteer Mairéad Farrell

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
It's heartbreaking to think that this brave Patriot was sold out by Adams & Co. for the sake of the Queen's Shilling and some Crown appointments. Óglach Mairéad Farrell was the bravest of the brave. She died in a hail of enemy bullets on active service on March 6th 1988 on the Rock of Gibraltar. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dílis.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Casting aside politics for a moment she was a really amazing human person in and of herself. She died before I was born but at the same NOT THAT LONG BEFORE. The fact that someone like her walked this soil so very recently I think should inspire hope no matter how dark things seem.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
All a waste. The war was already over behind the scenes and rapidly losing public support. To survive the prison conditions was a fete in itself. For what died the Sons (and daughters) of Roisin?

I wouldn't say that it was a waste. Ireland is in the gutter today, but if we are ever to climb out of the gutter it will be because we have the memory of Óglach Farrell and her Comrades.

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
I wouldn't say that it was a waste. Ireland is in the gutter today, but if we are ever to climb out of the gutter it will be because we have the memory of Óglach Farrell and her Comrades.
Mmmm, Ms Farrell wouldn’t be my first choice to be honest. The first Volunteers in int late 1960’s were unbelievably courageous, regardless of what I think of a violent conflict.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Mmmm, Ms Farrell wouldn’t be my first choice to be honest. The first Volunteers in int late 1960’s were unbelievably courageous, regardless of what I think of a violent conflict.

And so was Farrell. She stood up to years of Brit torture in Armagh Jail and went straight back on active service when she got out - taking on the most dangerous operations.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
All a waste. The war was already over behind the scenes and rapidly losing public support. To survive the prison conditions was a feat in itself. For what died the Sons (and daughters) of Roisin?

We are all products of our time. Under the situation she was in she strove for lucidity and with that a sense to do her duty no matter what the cost. She was in very many ways a very "girly girl" but when you look at that interview and others with her you see no narcissism. The PIRA lost the war, yes, and Ireland is in a mess unimaginable when she died, yes, however I don't think her life was a waste. I think she gave Irish women and girsl an ideal to try and live up to. That is a very major thing. If I die one fifth of the person she was it would be more than I ever in the height of my arrogance dreamed.

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
We are all products of our time. Under the situation she was in she strove for lucidity and with that a sense to do her duty no matter what the cost. She was in very many ways a very "girly girl" but when you look at that interview and others with her you see no narcissism. The PIRA lost the war, yes, and Ireland is in a mess unimaginable when she died, yes, however I don't think her life was a waste. I think she gave Irish women and girsl an ideal to try and live up to. That is a very major thing. If I die one fifth of the person she was it would be more than I ever in the height of my arrogance dreamed.
I’m a pacifist / coward but realise that armed conflict by the IRA Volunteers was an unavoidable consequence of the Hate of Catholic’s in the six counties. Whilst I have a deep understanding of the 6 counties I’m not qualified to have an opinion as I did not take up Arms. I’ll quietly close the door behind me on the way out.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
I’m a pacifist / coward but realise that armed conflict by the IRA Volunteers was an unavoidable consequence of the Hate of Catholic’s in the six counties. Whilst I have a deep understanding of the 6 counties I’m not qualified to have an opinion as I did not take up Arms. I’ll quietly close the door behind me on the way out.
I am from a Loyalist background and when I first looked into her at 15 I was burnt up with envy.

I think her central focus was National Liberation as such- Catholics being oppressed was part of that but a minor part relatively speaking. I think in a very straight forward and unpretentious way she a continuation of the radical Anto-Treaty side in the Civil War down here. I don't think had she lived she would have supported the GFA.

Tom

Eirú Sean Gael
PI Member
There are some pacifists that are extremely brave.

Leo Tolstoy , George Bernard Shaw , Mahatma Gandhi ,Bertrand Russell ,Aldous Huxley ,Sophie Scholl ,Albert Einstein .

Top Bottom