R.I.P Department of Enviroment

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
R.I.P to Department of the Environment.

Its gone, its dead, Its has ceased to exist.

The Department of Environment is gone - so where does Irish Water go now?

AMID ALL THE news today about the big changes to Ireland’s government departments, two words have been notably missing.
Where is Irish Water?
The controversial utility, which proved to be the single biggest headache for the last government and a major bone of contention in the talks to form the current minority government, appeared to have fallen between a few stools after today’s reshuffle.
Previously, Irish Water had fallen under the aegis of the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government under Minister Alan Kelly.
However one of the surprising announcements today was that the Department of Environment no longer exists. Instead, its functions have been split between three other newly aligned departments:
  • Housing, Planning and Local Government, under Minister Simon Coveney
  • Communications, Climate Change and Natural Resources, under Minister Denis Naughten
  • Regional Development, Rural Affairs, Arts and the Gaeltacht, under Minister Heather Humphreys
Which department Irish Water would fall under would depend on whether it was seen as a local government issue or one of natural resources – and very few people in government were willing to answer that question.
Outgoing minister Alan Kelly was one of the people left wondering where the utility had ended up.
In the Dáil this evening, he said that three ministers are effectively taking over his role – and he wasn’t too impressed.

http://www.thejournal.ie/which-department-irish-waterauto-draft-1462564746-2756590-May2016/

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
WOW, that odd looking chap from Kerry gives one speach and everyone's wise up. Well done, too bad he does not have 80 brothers to run the entire kip.

Ren84

PI Member
Threads
I thought it had become split up?

Eitherway, Its a silly change that wasn't needed.
Does it reallt matter? Government depts are frequently broken up and merged after new govts are formed. Though I accept that some level of permanence in government depts is probably needed. My proposal would be to create fewer depts but coverig a wider remit than existing depts ....

Cabinet Office - (Dept of Taoiseach, miscelleanous agencies like OPW, CSO, cross border institutes, etc)

Foreign and European Affairs

Department of the Treasury - former Finance and Public Expenditure.

Public Security - Gardai, Coast Guard (massively expandes with its own coastal fleet and SAR air arm), new National Fire and Rescue Service, National Ambulance Service, Mountain Rescue, Civil Defence, Prison Service, Border and Customs, new Irish Intellgence Service formed from Garda special branch and DF DI.

Department of Defence - Army, new Navy, new Air Force, new Marines.

Department of National Development:
Roads, rail, airports, sea ports; gas, electric, water and telecoms grids; broadcasting transmission grid, public housing, environment, national petroleum reserves, handling all oil and gas exploration licences.

Department of Health, Education, Labour and Welfare - schools, hospitals, job centres, children affairs.

Department of Culture, Media, Sports, Tourism, Arts and the Gaeltacht - exactly whay it says on the tin.

Department of Commerce - jobs, trade, business regulation, R&D, economic policy, etc.

Department of Agriculture, Rural and Marine Affairs - farming, forestry, fisheries (onshore and offshore), environmental affairs, climate change and rural Ireland.

MrX

Political Irish
Threads
Does it reallt matter? Government depts are frequently broken up and merged after new govts are formed. Though I accept that some level of permanence in government depts is probably needed. My proposal would be to create fewer depts but coverig a wider remit than existing depts ....

Cabinet Office - (Dept of Taoiseach, miscelleanous agencies like OPW, CSO, cross border institutes, etc)

Foreign and European Affairs

Department of the Treasury - former Finance and Public Expenditure.

Public Security - Gardai, Coast Guard (massively expandes with its own coastal fleet and SAR air arm), new National Fire and Rescue Service, National Ambulance Service, Mountain Rescue, Civil Defence, Prison Service, Border and Customs, new Irish Intellgence Service formed from Garda special branch and DF DI.

Department of Defence - Army, new Navy, new Air Force, new Marines.

Department of National Development:
Roads, rail, airports, sea ports; gas, electric, water and telecoms grids; broadcasting transmission grid, public housing, environment, national petroleum reserves, handling all oil and gas exploration licences.

Department of Health, Education, Labour and Welfare - schools, hospitals, job centres, children affairs.

Department of Culture, Media, Sports, Tourism, Arts and the Gaeltacht - exactly whay it says on the tin.

Department of Commerce - jobs, trade, business regulation, R&D, economic policy, etc.

Department of Agriculture, Rural and Marine Affairs - farming, forestry, fisheries (onshore and offshore), environmental affairs, climate change and rural Ireland.
I think this is nothing more than Enda trying to erase the mistake that is Irish water.

Everything to do with Irish water has tarnished his political career and if Fine Gael have any hope of lasting more than 1-2 years they must eradicate anything that links them to Irish water. Thanks to Phil Hogan the Department of the Environment will always be linked to water charges so it was necessary for them to create a new department, a fresh start if you will.

The cost for this `Fresh Start` is yet again further proof of how this government are out of touch, wasting public money of vanity projects such as this.

Ren84

PI Member
Threads
I think this is nothing more than Enda trying to erase the mistake that is Irish water.

Everything to do with Irish water has tarnished his political career and if Fine Gael have any hope of lasting more than 1-2 years they must eradicate anything that links them to Irish water. Thanks to Phil Hogan the Department of the Environment will always be linked to water charges so it was necessary for them to create a new department, a fresh start if you will.

The cost for this `Fresh Start` is yet again further proof of how this government are out of touch, wasting public money of vanity projects such as this.
But Irish Water is still with us as is the Dept that oversees IW, albeit renamed and with some new tasks. Enda is still Taoiseach and IW continue to send out water bills. Hardly a victory for the anti everything mob.

Top Bottom