Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Professor Barry Cunliffe: Who Were the Celts?

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member
Some fascinating new theories emerging on the origins of the Celts and our languages. Could it be that Celtic developed from an Aryan ancestor language in the West and spread East as far a modern day Turkey? Recent DNA evidence suggests that Celtic DNA in Ireland, Britain, France and the Iberian Peninsula is much older than had previously been thought. Celtic and Latin belong to the same branch of Indo-European (they are the only two languages in this group), so it may be that all the Aryans in Western Europe spoke the same language, and over time Celtic and Latin diverged from each other.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8FM9nMFbfI

Last edited:
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member
SwordOfStCatherine said:
Doesnt the Book of Invasions posit a Western origin?

It claims that the Son of Mil, i.e. the Gael, came from Spain to Ireland about 4,000 years ago.  That would go along with Professor Cunliffe's claim of a cultural traffic along this Atlantic zone. Of course, it doesn't say that these were the first Celtic speaking people in Ireland.  The previous inhabitants are given Celtic names also.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
Tadhg Gaelach said:
It claims that the Son of Mil, i.e. the Gael, came from Spain to Ireland about 4,000 years ago.  That would go along with Professor Cunliffe's claim of a cultural traffic along this Atlantic zone. Of course, it doesn't say that these were the first Celtic speaking people in Ireland.  The previous inhabitants are given Celtic names also.

But doesnt it say that the Sons of Mil were related to the Tuatha De Danann who did come to Ireland from a lost western continent?

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member
SwordOfStCatherine said:
But doesnt it say that the Sons of Mil were related to the Tuatha De Danann who did come to Ireland from a lost western continent?

I don't think so a chara, but I've never read the whole thing, just abbreviated versions.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member