Proclamation 1625: America's Enslavement of the Irish

OP
Son_of_Tuathal

Son_of_Tuathal

Donator
PI Member
In the SPLC article above Hogan references a book, they were white and they were slaves by Michael Hoffman. I read this years ago and just dug it out. It is meticulously researched with many citations. I recommend it. Hogan's attack on this book is pallid and he does not address the content I notice.

TW Tone

PI Member
I was teaching a class in a US college one time. It was first day, so I was going down the attendance roster.
I came to one black girl who had the same surname as me.

I joked "You and I could be kin".

Her cold stare showed me I had put my foot in it.

McTell

PI Member
I just added this book to the list of future purchases. The author is African American interestingly:

//Proclamation 1625 is the unveiling of the true and untold history of slavery in America. King James I's Proclamation ordering the Irish be placed in bondage opened the door to wholesale slavery of Irish men, women and children. This was not indentured servitude but raw, brutal mistreatment that included being beaten to death.
The Irish were forced from their land, kidnapped, fastened with heavy iron collars

Proclamation 1625: America’s Enslavement of the Irish Source ISBN: 1460285646

Obviously not all "the Irish".

Maybe 1% of us over a few decades?

OP
Son_of_Tuathal

Son_of_Tuathal

Donator
PI Member
Obviously not all "the Irish".

Maybe 1% of us over a few decades?
50% were killed off in the space of 1 decade via the food confiscation programs. More than half the British army was garrisoned here to ensure there was no resistance to this theft. Deportation was simply another tool in the kit of population replacement and land clearance. There are no detailed records so we don't how many Irish were transported. The beaches of Canada and Nova Scotia are littered with mass graves from those that did not make the trip.

Brenny

PI Member
Hogan is right and he is wrong. The irish were not actually slaves in America, they were indentured labourers but that could very well be worse than being a slave. Bad employers would work an indentured labourer to death and then just get another one. You wouldn't do that with a slave that yoy paid money for. You could exit indentured servitude but not easily leave american slavery nor could your children

parentheses

PI Member
The initial workforce of the British plantations in the Caribbean and America was mostly white "bonded labour". A high percentage of these were Irish. Bear in mind there was a 20% annual deathrate in the Caribbean.

A good book is "White Cargo, the forgotten history of Britain's white slaves", By Walsh and Jordan.

An Fiach Ban

Donator
PI Member
50% were killed off in the space of 1 decade via the food confiscation programs. More than half the British army was garrisoned here to ensure there was no resistance to this theft. Deportation was simply another tool in the kit of population replacement and land clearance. There are no detailed records so we don't how many Irish were transported. The beaches of Canada and Nova Scotia are littered with mass graves from those that did not make the trip.
Under Cromwells depravations the population of Ireland dropped by a third.

OP
Son_of_Tuathal

Son_of_Tuathal

Donator
PI Member
It is believed that over 3000[2] Irish died on the island and over 5000[2] are currently buried in the cemetery there; many died en route. Most who died on the island were infected with typhus, which sprang up from the conditions there in 1847. Grosse Isle is the largest burial ground for refugees of the Great Famine outside Ireland
Grosse Isle, Quebec - Wikipedia

DrPat2

PI Member
That is amazing. Many of these people are 300-400 years removed from Ireland and yet could pass as a man or woman from any town or village in Ireland.
The comments on the piece are something else. All sorts of claims and counterclaims.