Politics.ie - Security Alert!

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
Premium Account
Just a heads-up to anyone with an existing account on Politics.ie, or anyone considering joining that forum.

It's been posted a number of times here before that there are several 'fake' accounts posting on Politics.ie, using the names and avatars of posters from this forum.

In late 2015, I created an account on Politics.ie with the same name and avatar as this one, which was banned after a couple of days with only a handful of posts made by me.

A few months later, it came to my attention that an account with the same name and avatar had been seen posting there again. It was brought to my attention again recently, that this account was still active and posting.

I didn't give it much thought at the time, as I assumed perhaps my account had been deleted and the name was back in circulation. I put it down to some sad, pathetic troll and didn't bother looking into it any further.

A couple of days ago I received an email at the address I used to register my (presumably banned) account on Politics.ie, notifying me about a thread on my supposed 'watch list' there.

Realising the email was still connected to the account, I went to the forum and tried doing a password reset and found that it worked. I was able to change the password, thus regaining control of the account and the ability to log in.

After I logged in I found that this was in fact the very same account that I was told had been banned, along with approximately 150 posts made from shortly (weeks) after I was banned, up until about a week ago!

Which raises the following interesting questions:

How did someone manage to take control of a (complex) password protected forum account?

Why was a banned account able to resume posting, unmolested by the moderators?

Is there a security flaw in the software (which I'm not familiar with) that Politics.ie is based on?

Could the owner/s or administrator/s be complicit in any of this?

Can anything about Politics.ie be trusted?

I also noticed that I couldn't delete my account on Politics.ie, but I strongly urge any members to review any personal information they may have posted there and anyone considering signing up to avoid it entirely, as your privacy may be compromised.

OP
OP
Anderson

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
Premium Account
Fair is fair in love and war!

Incidentally, I got a post from one of the mods over there who said I was being banned for posting over here! Cant access my account anymore on politics.ie

OP
OP
Anderson

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
Premium Account

Incidentally, I got a post from one of the mods over there who said I was being banned for posting over here! Cant access my account anymore on politics.ie

Good call, Mr. Anderson.

I'd urge everyone to alert their friends on facebook or wherever not to frequent that site. On vbulletin forums, it's possible for admins to hack PM so they can be read. I've seen this before on untrustworthy vbulletin forums. So don't touch that site unless you want to be burnt.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account

They don't allow people to post on different fora, or just this one?

What is your account's name over there?

I remember a few years ago, I was a member of a forum that used Simple Machines Forum software, the admin is a corrupt sociopath who used the forum to shill for shady companies in 3rd world countries. The admin had a falling out with one of the owners of the companies and we discovered the scam through them, but being a sociopath he just banned anyone who discovered the scam kept promoting the other companies.

We set up our own forum and discussed how to warn others. We created sock-puppets accounts on the original forum and spam links to our new forum to warn people, so the admin retaliated by taking over one of our accounts, gave it to a sidekick involved in the scam and the sidekick helped him ban our sock-puppets whenever the admin was offline.

Anyway, my point is, on Simple Machines Forums the admin can just commandeer any account without needing to know the password for said account, so it might be the same for whatever software P.ie uses.

If you have visual proof your account was commandeered, you should post about it on Boards and r/Ireland.

Dublin 4

Donator
Premium Account
Just a heads-up to anyone with an existing account on Politics.ie, or anyone considering joining that forum.

It's been posted a number of times here before that there are several 'fake' accounts posting on Politics.ie, using the names and avatars of posters from this forum.

In late 2015, I created an account on Politics.ie with the same name and avatar as this one, which was banned after a couple of days with only a handful of posts made by me.

A few months later, it came to my attention that an account with the same name and avatar had been seen posting there again. It was brought to my attention again recently, that this account was still active and posting.

I didn't give it much thought at the time, as I assumed perhaps my account had been deleted and the name was back in circulation. I put it down to some sad, pathetic troll and didn't bother looking into it any further.

A couple of days ago I received an email at the address I used to register my (presumably banned) account on Politics.ie, notifying me about a thread on my supposed 'watch list' there.

Realising the email was still connected to the account, I went to the forum and tried doing a password reset and found that it worked. I was able to change the password, thus regaining control of the account and the ability to log in.

After I logged in I found that this was in fact the very same account that I was told had been banned, along with approximately 150 posts made from shortly (weeks) after I was banned, up until about a week ago!

How did someone manage to take control of a (complex) password protected forum account?

Is there a security flaw in the software (which I'm not familiar with) that Politics.ie is based on?

I also noticed that I couldn't delete my account on Politics.ie, but I strongly urge any members to review any personal information they may have posted there and anyone considering signing up to avoid it entirely, as your privacy may be compromised.
Politics.ie Message
You have been banned for the following reason:
This account has been suspended pending review. Please contact [email protected] for further information.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Ol Dirts :D

Explain if you would what exactly you know about the "security industry " and what a security breach is . You don't even know the correct SOP (standard operating procedire) for issuing a security alert.

Anyway, my point is, on Simple Machines Forums the admin can just commandeer any account without needing to know the password for said account, so it might be the same for whatever software P.ie uses.

If you have visual proof your account was commandeered, you should post about it on Boards and r/Ireland.
Admins have access to the emails we all signed up on. So they can delete it, replace it with their own and go through the lost password rig mo-roll to take control of your account.

I full confidence in the crew here mind you. They are good eggs. But as a general rule on forums it's something to bear in mind.