Politics.ie Asylum

Threads
I just find this "You can't criticise minorities" garbage so patronising to minorities.
And it's hypocritical as where do you draw the line.....
"Criticism".

Was "Der Sturmer" criticism?

Is hating on gays criticism?

Is saying Jews "made up" the Holocaust, or are plotting to control the world, criticism?

Is conflating all Muslims with unmitigated medieval Islam, criticism?

Is Stormfront criticism?

Is the intent of most of say TG's or SOSC's threads criticism?

No doubt the line between criticism and the encouragement of prejudice and hatred is sometimes fine.

I accept it takes intelligence to know where that line is. So perhaps it is a fault of mine to assume people are intelligent. I typically give them the benefit of the doubt way too long (waves at Maxflinn).

Threads
You guys are leading the way on both in Palestine... :rolleyes:
The old reliable. Cultish. It is no coincidence that you usually find the Palestinian anti-Israel propaganda so hand in hand with every single example that I outlined in my post just above. And you bring to mind a number more similar I could have cited.

Threads
Never eat a Baby...
You're so impressionable, D4. Always with the easily recognisable cliches, and a transparent motivation for imbibing them.

The caricature really based in reality though is the likes of you being fed 'alt' media junk. Pretty pathetic all round.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
Is the intent of most of say TG's or SOSC's threads criticism?
TG and I get lumped together. However there are important differences between us. That said you exaggerate TG's antipathy towards Jews- and wildly so. While at the same time sub-consciously at least you and Poster Without a Name appear to go out of your way to behave in such a manner that it is as if you were trying to turn him into either an Andrew Joyce or Lasha Darkmoon.

Last edited:

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
Is conflating all Muslims with unmitigated medieval Islam, criticism?
The Islam of the High Middle Ages was in general far less a problematic thing that significant proportions of it are today. The ultra-problematic forms of Islam we see today are much more a product of capitalist post-modernity than they are of the Middle Ages as such. You seem to have bought into the myth of "Progress" hook, line and sinker.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
Superhans,

Thank you.

I have these questions, to understand if robust discussion is allowed:

1) What is offensive is subjective. May any party claim to be offended, and thereby inhibit another's free expression? Or is there an objective guideline to inform users?

2) What constitutes abuse? Similar to offensive content, an abusive term in some circles maybe acceptable in others. Are there guidelines that are universal, or is there a consistent policy to make a determination whether abuse has occurred?

3) How are mods selected? If a moderator makes a decision you feel is unfair or in error, what is the process for appeal? And do you ever go back to the site community for input on review of moderator actions?

4) Do you observe "fair use" standards of allowing limited excerpts of copyrighted material for purposes of education and social critique?

5) Living within a corrupt legal system how may one address corruption of the courts in a discussion topic?

There are a quite a number of posters on politics.ie who will be interested in your reply.

Thank you again.
I apologize that this thread has been completely derailed but I will try to give you my answer anyway.

1. I do not believe any poster should be abused in a manner that would not be acceptable in real life. I will pass no remarks for example of someone being called a dimwit but I do not think being called a dipshit is to be allowed. Granted some posters have thicker skins than others but I will look at every report and will address it, if I have time, unless someone else does.

2. I do not believe it is possible to list exactly what would be viewed as abuse and different people will view posts differently.

3. Mods are picked on occasion from people who have expressed an interest in volunteering some time by Rick and SuperHans. As far as I know they solely decide. When P.ie went down 4 new mods were added to the 4 active mods already, London, Belgrade, NickJNR and myself.

The new mods being Dublin4, SwordofStCatherine, Nicenin, and The Equaliser.

If a poster feels that any of these 4 mods is unfair in a ruling he can report it or send a pm to the 4 earlier mods or Rick or Hans.

If a poster feels he is unfairly treated by one of the original mods he should drop a pm to Hans.
It is guaranteed that Hans at a minimum will look at it and reply regardless of whatever he decides.

My understanding is that anyone can ask to be a mod and I also believe that a very liberal poster was about to be asked to be a mod but withdrew his offer.

4 and 5. Hans may be better to answer these two questions

Top Bottom