Petrol Heads Corner

datsunireland

PI Member
Were some American cars assembled in Ireland as CKD.... Complete knock down kits? A Dublin garage?

I remember a newspaper article about it..
Possibly could have been. Only for the wealthy though because the customs excise was huge on imports. I know in the UK there were a number of private garages offering to help you build your kit car, usually Rover types or Ford kit cars.

BSA

PI Member
Good in a straight line but the golf mk 1 or 2 had better roadholding.
Can't confirm that Datsun..

Never drove either..

From 1979 to 1983 I worked in a large Fiat Lancia and Alfa Romeo dealership in the south east.. I sampled many cars of the era and here's two of my faves..

I make no excuses... They are my favorites from the era...

Drumroll... First up...

The Fiat 127...quit grinning... I'll explain.. A simple push rod 901cc engine, light body, a hoot to drive, we could order Abarth parts fairly easily a weber carb a belt primary drive and saw off the silencer. You felt like you were in a race car. I solemnly swear the following.... I owned several.. Serviced on the button they were reliable. If you were flush there was a Sport version of it, out of my league tho..

Next up...

My all time favorite...

A two seat, five speed unabashed sports car, mid engine, designed by Bertone Studios, near perfect 50/50 weight balance, the intake was next to the drivers left ear and it howled when you pressed on... A removable T top roof!

Just driving down an Irish country road "on a bitterly cold day with a roof off, heater full on and Tattooed Lady on the cassette player.. You'll never feel. as alive again..

Its not a Ferrari..... This

datsunireland

PI Member
Can't confirm that Datsun..

Never drove either..

From 1979 to 1983 I worked in a large Fiat Lancia and Alfa Romeo dealership in the south east.. I sampled many cars of the era and here's two of my faves..

I make no excuses... They are my favorites from the era...

Drumroll... First up...

The Fiat 127...quit grinning... I'll explain.. A simple push rod 901cc engine, light body, a hoot to drive, we could order Abarth parts fairly easily a weber carb a belt primary drive and saw off the silencer. You felt like you were in a race car. I solemnly swear the following.... I owned several.. Serviced on the button they were reliable. If you were flush there was a Sport version of it, out of my league tho..

Next up...

My all time favorite...

A two seat, five speed unabashed sports car, mid engine, designed by Bertone Studios, near perfect 50/50 weight balance, the intake was next to the drivers left ear and it howled when you pressed on... A removable T top roof!

Just driving down an Irish country road "on a bitterly cold day with a roof off, heater full on and Tattooed Lady on the cassette player.. You'll never feel. as alive again..

Its not a Ferrari..... This

Fiat 127 great little car, learned to drive in one. 127 sport was also nice, black or orange with a 1.3 engine, not very quick but great handling. Bertone x19 lovely little car also. Quick light and I think a 1.5 engine.

BSA

PI Member
Fiat 127 great little car, learned to drive in one. 127 sport was also nice, black or orange with a 1.3 engine, not very quick but great handling. Bertone x19 lovely little car also. Quick light and I think a 1.5 engine.
The engine was from the Fiat 128, A simple SOHC unit... The timing belt was an absolute bitch to change, the X19 engine bay was tiny.. Fourteen inch long treble jointed fingers attached to three hands were a must..

What a fun car though,

They were badged and sold as Bertone cars in America, don't know why..

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Well, this is my other favorite car - just lovely. Owning one of these in 1968 must have been like owning a spaceship would be today. Completely out of the world.

Sorry BSA I can out do you on all of that. I was the only Irish apprentice that serviced Maseratis. My favourite was the Maserati Bora 4 twin choke webers V8 . Top speed near 200mph . Not bad for 76. I also serviced Ferrari and de tamaso Pantera. I was given the Bora for the day when I was 16 by The owner Brendan Costtello who owned 2 e- Types. and a Roller which lingard Goulding totalled on shelbourne Rd. I was Sixteen without a licence when I was driving around in the Maserati. for the day. It still is my favourite car. I finished as the man to come to in Sweeney and Forte Fiat Howth Rd. where I used to fix Fiat 130 Automatic Gearboxes. I gave up Mechanics when I qualified. Still want a Bora.

BSA

PI Member
Sorry BSA I can out do you on all of that. I was the only Irish apprentice that serviced Maseratis. My favourite was the Maserati Bora 4 twin choke webers V8 . Top speed near 200mph . Not bad for 76. I also serviced Ferrari and de tamaso Pantera. I was given the Bora for the day when I was 16 by The owner Brendan Costtello who owned 2 e- Types. and a Roller which lingard Goulding totalled on shelbourne Rd. I was Sixteen without a licence when I was driving around in the Maserati. for the day. It still is my favourite car. I finished as the man to come to in Sweeney and Forte Fiat Howth Rd. where I used to fix Fiat 130 Automatic Gearboxes. I gave up Mechanics when I qualified. Still want a Bora.
Great post...

It's hard to get across how ... Exotic... These cars were back in the poverty stricken Ireland of the 70's..80's and 90's..

People literally goggled in amazement when one drove past...