Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Pearse Doherty highlights how insurance companies are ripping us off.

GodsDog

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Car insurance is legally compulsory in this state and as such is a natural monopoly.
Natural monopolies should be state run.

In general, the more you drive the greater the chances of you being involved in an accident.

Quite clearly we are not successfully regulating the insurance industries because they are cute enough to capture the regulators
or influence/corrupt the political gombeens in charge. They are using a few high awards as an excuse to take the piss with premiums.

The legal profession are making out like bandits on all this so they don't want much to change either.
No doubt they too are influencing the gombeens in charge behind the scenes to drag their feet.

My solution would be to throw the lot of these car insurance companies out of Ireland
Nationalise the car insurance industry. Normalise claims into simple bands as they do in other countries
Then on that basis, deal with claims quickly. No messing. Everybody gets the one basic state 3rd party fire and theft policy
Then instead of everybody wastefully applying for insurance, we simply put it all on the cost of petrol.

The more you drive the more it costs you. Don't use the car much? It's cheap to run it.
Use it a lot? Then you pay more for the extra risk involved to the state.
A whole layer of parasites cut out of the chain. The whole thing completely simplified.
And a massive bureaucratic headache and a barrier to car ownership cut out of everyone's life each year.

Road tax should be on the cost of petrol too. More pointless expensive bureaucracy gone.

You just register ownership of your car and do an NCT each year and that's it, you are covered

Can't be much worse than the current shit sandwich we all eat each year!

GodsDog

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
[MOD]
Insurance rip off premiums is a serious topic that affects us all and which is worthy of some adult discussion.
Some off topic ad hominem and baiting posts and responses have been deleted.
Behave yourselves ok? Play the ball not the players!
[/MOD]

Dublin Stan

PI Member
[MOD]Insurance rip off premiums is a serious topic that affects us all and which is worthy of some adult discussion.Some off topic ad hominem and baiting posts and responses have been deleted.Behave yourselves ok? Play the ball not the players!
[/MOD]
But your previous post is not adult and is wrong. You deleted one of my comments. which was uncalled for.

"In general, the more you drive the greater the chances of you being involved in an accident. " Not true. Insurance and assurance famoulsy break down by age and sex. You are propounding a Sinn Fein line here. Certain cohorts, young males, males in their "menopause", are riskier. Some insurance companies lay off if you do not drink; there was well established linkls with postal areas (codes in Britian) and accidentsa, no mater what Sinn Fein thickos might say.

"Natural monopolies should be state run." You provide no evidence supporting that, just a Pearse Doherty type rant. Do you know how car insurance is evolving in China or Vietnam. If not, why not, given your statement?
Can you not see the dichotomy between a state run monopoly and insurance, which is a hedge againsat unknown but quantifiable risks. Are you a member of Sinn Fein?

"My solution would be to throw the lot of these car insurance companies out of Ireland" And replace them with Quinn, the Continuity IRA and Names like Bono who got stung reinsuring Lloyds? Is this Sinn Fein policy?
"Then on that basis, deal with claims quickly. No messing" You do know all the back staff insurance companies have, not only in maths but also expert lock smiths and so on, to check how many times keys have been used. You do know "messing" and pooling of data is essential to check claims of the usual suspects?
The rest of your post is, at best, a waste of bandwidth.

Dublin Stan

PI Member
[MOD]
Insurance rip off premiums is a serious topic that affects us all and which is worthy of some adult discussion.
Some off topic ad hominem and baiting posts and responses have been deleted.
Behave yourselves ok? Play the ball not the players!
[/MOD]
Should gambling be state nationalised along with insurance as they work on the same principle? How would the state, under a Sinn Fein government, off set bets in gambling if Doherty nationalised the industry?
Why do you think the Lotto is so well regulated? (Hint: iti s a money tress, a tax on the poor for the rich). And on and on.
Now, if you want to say like your mater I am drinking alcohol, just because I object to that idiot Doherty, then just delete my account. Doherty's claims are so stupid they would be incredible except we also have PBP etc in Leinster House.
I have found this site tolerable once I stopped arguing with pigs.

Ted

PI Member
The Law Society is feeling the heat -

Ken Murphy, director general of the Law Society, said: “Pearse Doherty’s questions laid bare the insurers’ distraction technique of blaming false and exaggerated claims, rather than their own profiteering, for the excessive premiums that threaten the survival of so many Irish businesses.
“It is now clear that insurers are making enormous profits while Irish businesses struggle to pay exorbitant premiums. We are glad to see political recognition that it is insurance companies, themselves, not the victims of accidents, the judiciary or the legal profession, who must answer for the incredibly burdensome premiums they are choosing to charge their customers.
“It is also clear that a primary source of false and misleading claims in this public debate is the insurance industry itself. In the light of what Deputy Doherty’s fearless and forensic questioning has exposed about false and exaggerated claims, should the insurers not report themselves to the gardaí?”

Law Society commends Sinn Féin TD for 'exposing' insurance companies on fraud

The legal profession and judiciary are as innocent and pure as the driven snow.

GodsDog

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
But your previous post is not adult and is wrong. You deleted one of my comments. which was uncalled for.

"In general, the more you drive the greater the chances of you being involved in an accident. " Not true. Insurance and assurance famoulsy break down by age and sex. You are propounding a Sinn Fein line here. Certain cohorts, young males, males in their "menopause", are riskier. Some insurance companies lay off if you do not drink; there was well established linkls with postal areas (codes in Britian) and accidentsa, no mater what Sinn Fein thickos might say.

"Natural monopolies should be state run." You provide no evidence supporting that, just a Pearse Doherty type rant. Do you know how car insurance is evolving in China or Vietnam. If not, why not, given your statement?
Can you not see the dichotomy between a state run monopoly and insurance, which is a hedge againsat unknown but quantifiable risks. Are you a member of Sinn Fein?

"My solution would be to throw the lot of these car insurance companies out of Ireland" And replace them with Quinn, the Continuity IRA and Names like Bono who got stung reinsuring Lloyds? Is this Sinn Fein policy?
"Then on that basis, deal with claims quickly. No messing" You do know all the back staff insurance companies have, not only in maths but also expert lock smiths and so on, to check how many times keys have been used. You do know "messing" and pooling of data is essential to check claims of the usual suspects?
You asked me do I work for or am I a member of sinn Fein? NO!
Nor any other political party.

I have to ask you do you work for a private insurance company or related business interest or in paid advocacy,
or perhaps the legal profession? Or another political party who benefits from bad press for Sinn Fein?

You say I provide no evidence. Yet all you yourself provide is hearsay.
Where are your links to credible sources for YOUR assertions?

You say My comment is not adult? and that deleting your comment was uncalled for?

Is this comment adult?? Is it on topic?? Is it called for?? :rolleyes:

Needdl;ess insult from an ignoramus, who most likely supports idiots like Doherty #blocked
At least I tried to discuss the OP material without taking a pop at other posters.
My opinion may be flawed as are most opinions but at least it IS an attempt to discuss
the OP material and provides a basis for further discussion
and is not just a transparent excuse for a childish bunfight as are so many other posts on this site.

I'm sure you could have critiqued it quite easily without getting personal if you were an adult.
But you chose otherwise.

Wolf

PI Member
Nor any other political party.

I have to ask you do you work for a private insurance company or related business interest or in paid advocacy,
or perhaps the legal profession? Or another political party who benefits from bad press for Sinn Fein?

You say I provide no evidence. Yet all you yourself provide is hearsay.
Where are your links to credible sources for YOUR assertions?

You say My comment is not adult? and that deleting your comment was uncalled for?

Is this comment adult?? Is it on topic?? Is it called for?? :rolleyes:

At least I tried to discuss the OP material without taking a pop at other posters.
My opinion may be flawed as are most opinions but at least it IS an attempt to discuss
the OP material and provides a basis for further discussion
and is not just a transparent excuse for a childish bunfight as are so many other posts on this site.

I'm sure you could have critiqued it quite easily without getting personal if you were an adult.
But you chose otherwise.
There are some posters here for whom the words 'Sinn Fein' are like a red rag to a bull.
It's pointless trying to discuss anything with people of that mindset....

Dublin Stan

PI Member
Nor any other political party. I have to ask you do you work for a private insurance company or related business interest or in paid advocacy,
or perhaps the legal profession? Or another political party who benefits from bad press for Sinn Fein? You say I provide no evidence. Yet all you yourself provide is hearsay. Where are your links to credible sources for YOUR assertions? You say My comment is not adult? and that deleting your comment was uncalled for? Is this comment adult?? Is it on topic?? Is it called for?? :rolleyes:

At least I tried to discuss the OP material without taking a pop at other posters. My opinion may be flawed as are most opinions but at least it IS an attempt to discuss the OP material and provides a basis for further discussion and is not just a transparent excuse for a childish bunfight as are so many other posts on this site. I'm sure you could have critiqued it quite easily without getting personal if you were an adult. But you chose otherwise.
I am an adult and I am very knowledgeable about insurance and also related businesses, as it happens. Are you trying to tell you who I am so Sinn Fein thugs can come around and do me in. I am attacking one individual in Sinn Fein, the spoofer Doherty, who lied he was an engineer and who took insurance reps to task in Leinster House for the good of the cameras and his fellow unwashed.
I am not speaking hearsay or evidence. I am saying it how it is. Do you want me to give you an actuarial qualification and a degree in insurance in a post?
The post you removed was telling Wolf why I blocked him. Not because he is a Sinn Fein supporter which is bad enough but because he said I was drinking. I was not and nor am I now but that is how Sinn Fein scum roll. Like Doherty, nothing under the bonnet.
Now, I will entertain you this time and never again
<<I have seen Ted's post and will reply separately to that>>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Certain cohorts, young males, males in their "menopause", are riskier. Some insurance companies lay off if you do not drink; there was well established links with postal areas (codes in Britain) and accidents, no matter what Sinn Fein thickos might say.

Young male low cc motorbike riders and older guys geting back on big bikes are the outliers here. Young females tend to be much safer. There is one road in Yorkshire responsible for a huge amount of big bike motorbike deaths
The temperance discount is of long standing
Rural accidents are well known here, as are the different fatality rates in different postal districts. London famous had 40 times/cap the knifings of the Blue Belt anbd East Glasgow had 4o times/cap that of London but that may have changed under Khan,
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Natural monopolies should be state run." You provide no evidence supporting that, just a Pearse Doherty type rant. Do you know how car insurance is evolving in China or Vietnam. If not, why not, given your statement?
Can you not see the dichotomy between a state run monopoly and insurance, which is a hedge against unknown but quantifiable risks. Are you a member of Sinn Fein?

China in particular presents a problem as everyone, young and old, was learnign to drive at the same time and so actuarial records were not there. There are ways to get around that to a degree and a lot of mathematical modelling addresses it but AIG and other firms took huge hits as they were being defrauded left and right.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Insurance is based on insuring large numbers and watching the outliers. Ireland does not habve the big numbers and has too many outliers. It is kind of interesting there was no thread here on the Fermanagh/Cavan terrorism, where Quinn thought he had a cash cow, as did Bono by being a Lloyds underwriter, until he got hit by massive reinsurance claims.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Last edited by a moderator:

TommyTayto

PI Member

Ken Murphy, director general of the Law Society, said: “Pearse Doherty’s questions laid bare the insurers’ distraction technique of blaming false and exaggerated claims, rather than their own profiteering, for the excessive premiums that threaten the survival of so many Irish businesses.
“It is now clear that insurers are making enormous profits while Irish businesses struggle to pay exorbitant premiums. We are glad to see political recognition that it is insurance companies, themselves, not the victims of accidents, the judiciary or the legal profession, who must answer for the incredibly burdensome premiums they are choosing to charge their customers.
“It is also clear that a primary source of false and misleading claims in this public debate is the insurance industry itself. In the light of what Deputy Doherty’s fearless and forensic questioning has exposed about false and exaggerated claims, should the insurers not report themselves to the gardaí?”

Ken Murphy managed to forget that the judiciary award payouts 4.4 times that of the UK with of course the legal industry getting a huge cut of the winnings. I wonder why ? 💩😀

GodsDog

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
I am an adult and I am very knowledgeable about insurance and also related businesses, as it happens. Are you trying to tell you who I am so Sinn Fein thugs can come around and do me in. I am attacking one individual in Sinn Fein, the spoofer Doherty, who lied he was an engineer and who took insurance reps to task in Leinster House for the good of the cameras and his fellow unwashed.
I am not speaking hearsay or evidence. I am saying it how it is. Do you want me to give you an actuarial qualification and a degree in insurance in a post?
The post you removed was telling Wolf why I blocked him. Not because he is a Sinn Fein supporter which is bad enough but because he said I was drinking. I was not and nor am I now but that is how Sinn Fein scum roll. Like Doherty, nothing under the bonnet.
Now, I will entertain you this time and never again
<<I have seen Ted's post and will reply separately to that>>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Certain cohorts, young males, males in their "menopause", are riskier. Some insurance companies lay off if you do not drink; there was well established links with postal areas (codes in Britain) and accidents, no matter what Sinn Fein thickos might say.

Young male low cc motorbike riders and older guys geting back on big bikes are the outliers here. Young females tend to be much safer. There is one road in Yorkshire responsible for a huge amount of big bike motorbike deaths
The temperance discount is of long standing
Rural accidents are well known here, as are the different fatality rates in different postal districts. London famous had 40 times/cap the knifings of the Blue Belt anbd East Glasgow had 4o times/cap that of London but that may have changed under Khan,
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Natural monopolies should be state run." You provide no evidence supporting that, just a Pearse Doherty type rant. Do you know how car insurance is evolving in China or Vietnam. If not, why not, given your statement?
Can you not see the dichotomy between a state run monopoly and insurance, which is a hedge against unknown but quantifiable risks. Are you a member of Sinn Fein?

China in particular presents a problem as everyone, young and old, was learnign to drive at the same time and so actuarial records were not there. There are ways to get around that to a degree and a lot of mathematical modelling addresses it but AIG and other firms took huge hits as they were being defrauded left and right.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Insurance is based on insuring large numbers and watching the outliers. Ireland does not habve the big numbers and has too many outliers. It is kind of interesting there was no thread here on the Fermanagh/Cavan terrorism, where Quinn thought he had a cash cow, as did Bono by being a Lloyds underwriter, until he got hit by massive reinsurance claims.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
That is a very serious allegation to make about somebody on an Irish public forum.
As I stated before, I have nothing to do with Sinn Fein, nor any other political party.

You however certainly sound quite like an insurance industry / political party shill to me!

Still no credible links just the same repeated insults and some hearsay DS.
I expected more from you. I'm disappointed frankly.

Last edited:

Dublin Stan

PI Member

Yes,. I thought you had been standing up for the terrorist apologists who are after me her. Let's go through what this idiot said.

1. Pearse Doherty’s questions laid bare the insurers’ distraction technique of blaming false and exaggerated claims, rather than their own profiteering, a. a. The fat fails are too fat. Insurance companmies have abandoned Ireland, citing that as the reason. No more bouncy castles.
b. Insurance is a long game, not a short game like banking. Insurance make their money over time and they have to be ready for the hiccups, which working in a Sinn Fein enriched society entail. If thee insurance companies wobble, then that is very bad news.
2.. “It is now clear that insurers are making enormous profits while Irish businesses struggle to pay exorbitant premiums". No it is not. I just got off the phone with a German friend of mine in England, who imported a car from japan but could not get it insured there. He got a German company to insure it. No English company felt competent to give him a half way reasonable quote.
We had the recent case of a TD suing a company for falling off a swing, and then dropping her claim. The boss of the company said it was only brought to his attention because of the publicity but they get claims like that 24/7. Aided by lawyers putting in nonsensical claims, ambulance chasing as they call it.
A friend of mine (anecdote) had a surgeon accidentally cut his foot. The surgeon was scared of being sued. But my pal is not a Sinn Feiner/itinerant.
Why do you think Caesareans are so popular?

3. We are glad to see political recognition that it is insurance companies, themselves, not the victims of accidents, the judiciary or the legal profession, who must answer for the incredibly burdensome premiums they are choosing to charge their customers.
Ha ha. The legal profession and Populist Sinn Fein. What a team.
A lot of work and a lot of brains go into drawing up insurance models. Customers are lazy and seldom switch providers (bank, insurance, phone, electric etc) and are gouged but that is not waht is at issue there. It is the big payments to the Sinn Feiners, Romanians and travellers and their D4 FG equivalents.

" who must answer for the incredibly burdensome premiums they are choosing to charge their customers."

The legal and Sinn Fein populist mafias are just the lads to do that. The legal scam has been in the same families - O'Higgins etc - for 200 years. Huge cash cow.

“It is also clear that a primary source of false and misleading claims in this public debate is the insurance industry itself.
" Insurance works on historical data, properly analysed
Trivial case: Insuring musical instruments. There are two groups: classical musicians who take care oftheir instruments and wanna be rock stars who lose them. The former get punished because of the latter.

" fearless and forensic questioning has exposed about false and exaggerated claim" Insurance companmiues have to do the forensics to catch out the swing set. Doherty is not fearless. He is ignorant.
"should the insurers not report themselves to the gardaí?” Hopefully they will sue the Law Society or whatever group this waster represents.

Reactions: Ted

Wolf

PI Member
That is a very serious allegation to make about somebody on an Irish public forum.
As I stated before, I have nothing to do with Sinn Fein, nor any other political party.

You however certainly sound quite like an insurance industry shill to me!

Still no credible links just the same repeated insults and some hearsay DS.
I expected more from you. I'm disappointed frankly.
In the post above he refers to me as 'Sinn Fein scum'.
Considering the whole country know how insurance companies are gouging and profiteering from hard pressed Irish people I reckon he should get a mirror if he wants to see scum.

Top Bottom