Patsy Dan Rodgers the last king of Ireland

FightingForTheBull

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
King of Tory Island dies aged 74

The King of Tory Island, Patsy Dan Rodgers, has died at the age of 74.

The artist and musician was the island's best known resident and campaigned against government plans to resettle the islanders on Donegal's mainland following storms in 1974.

Mr Rodgers had lived on the 5km-long and 1km-wide island off the coast of County Donegal from the age of four.

Tory Island is home to more than 100 people and has one road, one church, one grocery shop, one lighthouse, one hotel, one hostel and one social club.

In his role as king, Mr Rodgers welcomed visitors to the island, entertained them in the evenings by playing accordion and telling stories about his homeland, and said a farewell at the harbour.

He also fulfilled various ambassadorial obligations on the mainland and abroad.

'Last king of Ireland' dies aged 74

A sad day for Ireland. Let's hope the new King is half as good.

D

Deleted member 2531

Non Registered Member

The artist and musician was the island's best known resident and campaigned against government plans to resettle the islanders on Donegal's mainland following storms in 1974.

Mr Rodgers had lived on the 5km-long and 1km-wide island off the coast of County Donegal from the age of four.

Tory Island is home to more than 100 people and has one road, one church, one grocery shop, one lighthouse, one hotel, one hostel and one social club.

In his role as king, Mr Rodgers welcomed visitors to the island, entertained them in the evenings by playing accordion and telling stories about his homeland, and said a farewell at the harbour.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam. Moladh go deo le dia thú.Ní bheidh a leithéid arís ann.https://media.mutualart.com/Images/2011_02/15/0003/1106041/129403242127450997_299e1fa5-3844-4a30-b241-7c252f56692a_312448_570.Jpeg

Atlantean Irish

PI Member
There's a similar Island not too far away that died and is completely abandoned since the 40's that is ripe for a new King to reclaim. Pretty much the same size and once had close to the same numbers.

Inishmurray - Wikipedia

The faster Ireland swirls down the toilet the more appealing this looks...
Excellent thread

and always found it appealing.

FightingForTheBull

PI Member
Patsy Dan Rodgers - remembering The Last King Of Ireland

By way of remembering King of Tory Island Patsy Dan Rodgers, who has passed away aged 74, we're revisiting Kieran Devaney's acclaimed Documentary On One production, The Last King Of Ireland.

Listen to it above, and read Kieran's introduction, written before his passing, to the magic of Tory - "a doorway into another world" - and his friendship with the legendary Patsy Dan below.

The jovial stranger stood out from the regulars when he walked into the bar at the United Arts Club in Dublin where I was perched on my usual corner stool.

He was a stocky little man in his early sixties wearing a neatly ironed white shirt, a striped tie and a double breasted navy blue jacket. A blue serge nautical cap was perched jauntily over his ears which were adorned with four gold earrings – three on his left ear and one on his right. He carried an old battered black leather accordion case under one arm and used the other to wave to the barman. In a Donegal accent he ordered a large Bushmills and Red Bull, which he referred to as a lethal injection. He introduced himself as Patsy and sat down beside me and insisted on topping up my glass of wine.

Patsy unfastened the case’s worn straps took out the accordion and started to play. It’s called "The Waves of Tory" he shouted, and I realised I had just met a living legend who was to become a lifelong friend.

Today, at the age of 73, Patsy Dan Rodgers is known as the Last King of Ireland. He’s ruled his remote North Atlantic fiefdom of Tory Island for almost a quarter of a century. His is not an hereditary title. He was elected by the people of Tory who can trace an unbroken lineage back to a saint Colmcille who granted the title to an Islander in the fifth century.

Over the centuries led by their Kings – and in at least one case a Queen – the Islanders have beaten off Vikings, marauding pirates and invaders from the mainland which lies nine miles off the coast across some of the most treacherous waters off the Irish Coast.

Patsy Dan Rodgers - remembering The Last King Of Ireland

Karloff

PI Member
The whole fixation on republicanism on the part of a lot of Gaels is something that I have found annoying and also mystifying. The Gael like all other Celtic peoples has favoured the clan type family over the nuclear type one with this only beginning to change among the totally deracinated urban bourgeois in the late 90s and 00s- generally clan type families have a patriarch or matriarch who forms the centre around which everyone else circles as planets to the sun. I think Monarchy reinforces the concept of a nation as an extended family. The Gael used to be very Monarchial. And no, I am not a fan of the utterly corrupt and depraved Windsors who don't have even a weak claim to the Throne they are usurping.
Nothing mystifying about it, the English killed or drove off candidates for monarchy here, would be very pretentious and silly to bring it back.

Besides, in the modern age we see them as they always were... little more than celebrities and beings who follow and obey the mainstream narratives and do not offer 'leadership' and certainly no Noblesse Oblige. If anything their presence solidifies a permanent ruling class and it's self justification.

FightingForTheBull

PI Member
There's a similar Island not too far away that died and is completely abandoned since the 40's that is ripe for a new King to reclaim. Pretty much the same size and once had close to the same numbers.

Inishmurray - Wikipedia

The faster Ireland swirls down the toilet the more appealing this looks...

Minister to intervene in row over access to historic island
Boat operators were told they risk prosecution if they continue trips to Inishmurray Island

Keith Clarke has been bringing visitors to Inishmurray Island, seven kilometres off the coast of Sligo, for 32 years, but says he was devastated last month to be told he risked prosecution if he continued to do so.

The island is famous for having one of Ireland’s best-preserved early monastic sites, which was established by St Molaise in the sixth century. It also once enjoyed a reputation for high-quality poteen, so popular that early in the last century John Power of Power’s Whiskey arrived there on a fact-finding mission.

Keith Clarke has been bringing visitors to Inishmurray Island, seven kilometres off the coast of Sligo, for 32 years, but says he was devastated last month to be told he risked prosecution if he continued to do so.
The island is famous for having one of Ireland’s best-preserved early monastic sites, which was established by St Molaise in the sixth century. It also once enjoyed a reputation for high-quality poteen, so popular that early in the last century John Power of Power’s Whiskey arrived there on a fact-finding mission.
The ruins on Inishmurray Island, Co Sligo. Photo supplied with permission from Keith Clarke
But now the Marine Survey Office (MSO) attached to the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport has warned a small number of commercial boat owners who provide day trips to the island that this practice must cease with immediate effect.
The MSO said this was “due to concerns for safety during embarking and disembarking” at the island.
It insisted that the “recognised landing”, a natural harbour, is “wholly unsuitable for landing passengers”. But locals say there has never been an accident, before or since the last of the islanders left in 1948.
Safety record
Mr Clarke, skipper of the MV Fiona Tee said the safety record is so good because of the local knowledge of the boat operators, but he warned that private operators may now take a chance and land there. “I know it like the back of my hand. I only did seven trips last summer. Some summers I do 20. It all depends on the swell,” he said.

Minister to intervene in row over access to historic island

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis. Rinne sé eacht ar son a mhuintir agus a thír. Ní bheidh a léithid arís ann.

Top Bottom