Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Paths of Glory

DS86DS

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
Thread for discussion and media relating to the 1957 film, Paths of Glory

🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️

🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️

🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️

France_1000.jpg

Last edited:

page61

PI Member
Now your talking..I always thought this was an exceptional movie especially for its time .

Considering the era which it was made ,and the country in which it was made, It is a brave stance against the likes of the John Wayne mentality of most US war films. It is no surprise that the film barely broke even .

Same year as 12 angry men ..another classic.

I used to love a film called the run of the Arrow ..which was out that year.Rod steiger is a great actor.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Mr Kubrick clearly knew little about infantry frontal assault tactics.
The bunching together almost shoulder to shoulder of an infantry advance did not occur as he depicts.
Tacticians in WW1 knew full well such idiocy made easy targets for enemy fire and advised soldiers to spread out to minimize casualties.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
That's brilliantly directed scene. Builds up the tension far more effectively than the landing scene in Saving Private Ryan and other more modern films. And Douglas with his little pistol and whistle charging against machine guns and heavy artillery conveys the absurdity of WW1 perfectly.

amsterdemmetje

PI Member
Dwayne the Rock Johnson had an army tank named after him recently by the army its called Dwyane the Rock Johnson . As you know he hasn't made any war movies yet like the rest of ye I am hoping he wil this year .

Top Bottom