One british soldier to be charged over Bloody Sunday

Traynor

PI Member
You can't possibly tell relatives and family that they are wasting their time, trying to get to the bottom of how and why their loved one was murdered. As a matter of fact, it was the pressure from victims relatives that finally forced any grudging admissions from the British, such as the Savile Enquiry. Just shutting up and accepting the British are bad and always will be, nothing you can do about it, is a slave mentality. It plays right into the hands of the murderers. They know full well they have utterly acquiescent victims.
Exactly.

I was quite moved watching the families speaking outside the court yesterday; their sense of loss, anger and resentment was evident. It's not that they want justice, they need justice. One elderly man spoke of how his life had been ruined by the events of that day. That is the scale of the suffering we are dealing with here.

Exactly.

I was quite moved watching the families speaking outside the court yesterday; their sense of loss, anger and resentment was evident. It's not that they want justice, they need justice. One elderly man spoke of how his life had been ruined by the events of that day. That is the scale of the suffering we are dealing with here.
They need truth. I don't think any of them want a 74 year old man to go to jail, they are beyond that. They want public justice, for a judge to say "What you did was a heinous and abominable act, and it has been proved before us. There is no statute of limitations on murder. I am sending you down". Only then can they feel that the world knows what happened, not just their supporters and well-wishers.

On a side-note, the photographs from Bloody Sunday are heart-breaking. Derry is "flying" now, a really cool, artsy, smart little city, but back then you could see the poverty and the years of suppression. And still those little marchers put on their shiny, patched, Sunday suits and their battered hats, and stood up, with pride and dignity. They need to be honoured and respected and listened to.

Traynor

PI Member
They need truth. I don't think any of them want a 74 year old man to go to jail, they are beyond that. They want public justice, for a judge to say "What you did was a heinous and abominable act, and it has been proved before us. There is no statute of limitations on murder. I am sending you down". Only then can they feel that the world knows what happened, not just their supporters and well-wishers.

On a side-note, the photographs from Bloody Sunday are heart-breaking. Derry is "flying" now, a really cool, artsy, smart little city, but back then you could see the poverty and the years of suppression. And still those little marchers put on their shiny, patched, Sunday suits and their battered hats, and stood up, with pride and dignity. They need to be honoured and respected and listened to.
Yes, very well said. You can't but admire them.

That's interesting what you say about Derry. I have only been there once - and I was only 4 or 5 at the time. My Father taught in a school on the Donegal/Derry border and we would regularly go to see Derry City play. All I remember is being fascinated by the murals in the Bogside! I was in Belfast a few weeks ago and that seems to be on the up as well.

Yes, very well said. You can't but admire them.

That's interesting what you say about Derry. I have only been there once - and I was only 4 or 5 at the time. My Father taught in a school on the Donegal/Derry border and we would regularly go to see Derry City play. All I remember is being fascinated by the murals in the Bogside! I was in Belfast a few weeks ago and that seems to be on the up as well.
I do, I am just about old enough to remember the Civil Rights Marchers and their total courage in the face of a Unionist establishment so brutal they lost even the confidence of the British Army. Who proceeded to treat it all as another "colonial mopping up operation" - smack a few heads together, Orange or Green, and bish-bosh, job done. It was a total nightmare.

I have always been of the view that Derry and Donegal are the same place, or at least that is how it seemed to someone from Antrim. :)

Traynor

PI Member
I do, I am just about old enough to remember the Civil Rights Marchers and their total courage in the face of a Unionist establishment so brutal they lost even the confidence of the British Army. Who proceeded to treat it all as another "colonial mopping up operation" - smack a few heads together, Orange or Green, and bish-bosh, job done. It was a total nightmare.

I have always been of the view that Derry and Donegal are the same place, or at least that is how it seemed to someone from Antrim. :)
There's certainly a dismissive, arrogant attitude held by many down here towards people in the North. I've heard a number of people this week saying "ah, get over it. It happened ages ago" and so on. But it's easy to dismiss the suffering of others when you haven't lived through it. All the books and documentaries can't provide insight compared to real, lived experience.

There's certainly a dismissive, arrogant attitude held by many down here towards people in the North. I've heard a number of people this week saying "ah, get over it. It happened ages ago" and so on. But it's easy to dismiss the suffering of others when you haven't lived through it. All the books and documentaries can't provide insight compared to real, lived experience.
I think they were trained in that, by a whole generation of media/politicians who were very concerned the Troubles might spill over the Border and challenge them! When I was a kid in the 70s and early to mid 80s, the only embarrassing thing about "going South" was having people worrying over you, and I was like "Oh, it's OK, I am not actually dead, you know." I think the Irish people never ever once broke faith with the North. The establishment in Ireland, well they did good things and bad things.

El Chaval.

PI Member

Child poverty in the west bank of Derry is around 60%,
The three most deprived areas in the city are Nationalist.
The three most affluent areas are Unionist.
The City Centre has less shops and businesses today than during the bombing campaign. Unless you like charity shops.
It's a polished turd.

El Chaval.

PI Member
I heard that one soldiers was responsible for 5 deaths around Gartan Square. I'm guessing it's him.
One of the deceased victims had a brother in the Paras at the time, and he was in Derry that day serving. Hasn't been seen since.

Sitt Fein

Donator
PI Member
I understand where you're coming from, but put yourself in the shoes of the families who have waited so long in search of answers for what happened that day. Losing a loved one in such circumstances is unimaginable for most of us. I don't blame them - and in fact, very much admire them for working towards getting what Seamus Heaney called"The longed-for tidal wave of justice".
Seamus Heaney was full of shite. What searching do they have to do. Everyone knows what happened. The Brits are cutns - surprise surprise. Next.

Sitt Fein

Donator
PI Member
You can't possibly tell relatives and family that they are wasting their time, trying to get to the bottom of how and why their loved one was murdered. As a matter of fact, it was the pressure from victims relatives that finally forced any grudging admissions from the British, such as the Savile Enquiry. Just shutting up and accepting the British are bad and always will be, nothing you can do about it, is a slave mentality. It plays right into the hands of the murderers. They know full well they have utterly acquiescent victims.
Yes you can. You can say whatever the hell you like to them. I've been saying it for years. Light a white candle. Rest in Peace.

Top Bottom