• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

O’Donovan must sincerely apologise or leave office – Gavan

Mar 15, 2017
O’Donovan must sincerely apologise or leave office – Gavan

Sinn Féin Senator Paul Gavan has called on Junior Minister Patrick O'Donovan to “get his act together or get out of office” after the Minister got the date of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings wrong three times in a letter to a survivors’ group. This follows an interview in which the Minister blamed the IRA for the atrocities, which were actually carried out by the UVF with the assistance of British security services.

Senator Gavan said:

“Minister O’Donovan was responding to a letter from the Justice for the Forgotten Group who were seeking an apology for his comments alluding to IRA responsibility for the bombings. In his letter, Minister O’Donovan, three times, references the bombings as having taken place in 1973 when the atrocities actually happened in 1974.

“In his letter to the Group, Minister O’Donovan says: ‘Time only acts as a small consolation for you and for the families of Justice for the Forgotten in your quest to establish the full truth behind the horrific 1973 bombings’. He makes two further references to the year 1973 in the same letter.

“It is bad enough that the Minister continues to refuse to apologise, but to get the basic facts wrong again with regard to the date of the atrocities is just unforgivable. Is this more carelessness from Patrick O’Donovan or is he just completely unaware of what actually happened in Dublin and Monaghan in 1974?

“Minister O'Donovan needs to either get his act together and issue a sincere apology to the Justice for The Forgotten group, or else he needs to get out of office and go back to the backbenches. The manner in which he has dealt with this whole issue, which is a mess of his own making, is bringing ever greater embarrassment to his party, who were in Government at the time of the attack, and further hurt to those who survived and lost loved ones to these atrocities.” - Sinn Féin (@sinnfeinireland)

'It's ignorance': Sinn Féin calls for apology after junior minister blames party for Dublin-Monaghan bombing

Junior Minister for Finance Patrick O’Donovan questioned Sinn Féin’s involvement with the Dublin-Monaghan bombing over the weekend.

SINN FÉIN HAS called on Junior Minister for Finance Patrick O’Donovan to apologise for his “clueless” comments made in an interview over the weekend regarding the Dublin-Monaghan bombings.

In an interview with the Sunday Independent, O’Donovan said that before Sinn Féin can be considered as a potential party in government it must deal with issues of the past and went on to reference the Dublin-Monaghan bombings.

During the bombings of 17 May 1974, three bombs exploded in Dublin during rush hour and a fourth exploded in Monaghan almost ninety minutes later, killing 33 civilians and injuring almost 300.

The Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF), a loyalist paramilitary group from Northern Ireland, claimed responsibility for the bombings in 1993.

However, O’Donovan suggested that Sinn Féin played a role in the attack.

“I, and so many other people in Limerick will always remember where we were the day Jerry McCabe was murdered,” O’Donovan told the Sunday Independent.

“But I also think about another garda, Seamus Quaid, whose brothers and sisters live here in Newcastle West. This was a man lured to his death in a quarry in Wexford. His family has to bear that cross.

“Have they or the McCabes ever had proper reconciliation? I don’t think so,” he said.

They are just two victims. What about Brian Stack? What about the innocent children blown to smithereens indiscriminately in the likes of the Dublin-Monaghan bombings? That was not done in my name or in the name of any right-minded person.

So when I hear senior people of a political party talk about ‘legitimate combatants’, in whose eyes? Who voted for that? I certainly didn’t.

Responding to these comments, Sinn Féin Senator Paul Gavan called O’Donovan “clueless”.

“This is a government that’s supposed to be engaging with the British government to get justice for the 33 people who died and the dozens injured,” Gavan told TheJournal.ie.

“It’s absolutely bewildering.”

Gavan told TheJournal.ie that he wants an apology from O’Donovan on behalf of the Justice for the Forgotten Campaign – a campaign for the victims which has received unanimous support from the Dáil.

“He needs to apologise and he needs to really educate himself and meet these people so he can understand what they’ve been through. This was the biggest terrorist incident to ever happen on the isle of Ireland.”
How does it look when a government minister comes out with a statement as wrong-headed and just as plain stupid as this?

“I couldn’t believe it. I actually read the article three times to make sure that I was reading it right. It is worrying. It’s a level of ignorance that’s inexcusable and it frightens me,” Gavan said.

Fine Gael declined to comment on the matter. - 'It's ignorance'
Antóin Mac Comháin
Mar 15, 2017
Sinead O'Connor Changes Names After South Hackensack Motel Incident

Sinead O'Connor Changes Name to Magda Davitt

SOUTH HACKENSACK, N.J. -- Following a media storm over a video she made at a South Hackensack motel, Sinead O'Connor announced Monday that she was out of treatment -- and had changed her name.

"My new name is Magda Davitt," the Irish singer-songwriter wrote in a video she posted on Facebook in a plea to Dr. Phil to save three women from a treatment center he'd referred them to.

"Please, please don't ever send anybody to that trauma center again," she says.

Davitt/O'Connor, 50, made headlines last month with a tearful video recorded at the Travelodge on Huyler Street in South Hackensack .

She then turned to Dr. Phil, who sent her to an undisclosed trauma facility, where, she says in the Labor Day video, she was "abused from one of the night staff" when she complained about it and "falsely accused of not signing out" when she "went out for smokes."

Davitt/O'Connor doesn't say where he recorded Monday morning's video.

She says her trauma work "was going very well" but that she was having difficulty sleeping and needed a boost in her medications.

She says she was told she needed a brain scan because of anger issues, then was "banished" from the facility on Friday because she insisted that "no one should be dying" there.

She also expresses gratitude to Dr. Phil for what he's done for her but questions why he hadn't checked in on her in the three weeks since she was admitted.

"I'm not an insane person. I do not have a mental illness," she says in the video. "I had every right to be very, very angry, to shout and to scream, to use bad words, to slam the doors in the 23 days I was there.

"I am way more intelligent than them," she says, adding that "there are people in danger there." - Sinead O'Connor

Sinéad O’Connor joins Sinn Féin and calls for Gerry Adams to step down

Dublin-born singer says party elders should stand aside after criticism of their handling of sexual abuse allegations.

In the early 1990s, the Dubin-born singer initially expressed support for the Provisional IRA’s campaign but later retracted her comments, saying she was “too young to understand the tense situation in Northern Ireland properly”. In 1993 she took part in protests against an IRA bombing in Warrington that killed two children. - Sinéad O'Connor joins Sinn Féin and calls for Gerry Adams to step ...

Panorama: Britain's Secret Terror Force

The funeral of Óglach Martin Doherty, Dublin, May, 1994

The 1994 April edition of Saoirse carried an unbiased report of all the children that were killed, and didn't shy away from listing those killed as a direct result of the IRA. Of course emotion was a huge variable, and that's why it was so selective, in my humble opinion. People were swept along on an emotional wave, where one side was demonised, and the other side were excused. The difference is that there was no bias shown towards children killed by the British Army-RUC and the child killed by the IRA bomb in Warrington.

I have an article here in front of me from 20 years ago that appeared in the Sunday Tribune, (July-11-1993), about the 'Peace Rally', with a picture of a man being manhandled and led away by the Gardaí after he had been attacked by a section of the 'Peace Rally' crowd for holding a picture of a number of children killed by the RUC. The organizers of the 'Peace Rally' condemned the attack at a later stage. The 'Peace Rally' was held in the wake of the 'Warrington bomb', which is fair enough, but the only wrong the arrested man done was held a placard with images of (Stephen McConomy-11), (Kevin McGovern-13), (Seamus Duffy-15) and (Fergal Carragher) who were killed by the RUC.. The Media have always been biased.

That particular Sunday Tribune article was, irony of ironies, titled Free Speech, obviously not for all, and the point I was making is that there was an extreme amount of biased reporting which still exists.

''Some people from the North and South, carried placards which did not relate to the Warrington deaths but to killings of people by the Northern Ireland security services, especially by plastic bullets. In what was to be an embarrassment to the organisers later on, the main crowd started attacking this group of demonstrators and tearing up their placards.

But this being Ireland it was not those visiting this small-scale violence who were carted away by the Gardaí but their victims. Four of them were taken to Store Street Garda station and charged with ''threatening, abusive and insulting words of behaviour with intent to provoke a breach of the peace or conduct likely to cause such a breach.''

That's broadly what it was like for Nationalists trying to highlight the injustices that were taking place on an Industrial scale.

It was hard not to notice that the 'peace people' rallies were 'politically biased' and created an unfair 'hierarchy of victims'. I think it's actually astonishing that people were arrested and charged, for highlighting the murder of children by the RUC. The truth was uncomfortable for some people and didn't fit the script. Nobody denied that the 'Warrington Bomb' was an absolute tragedy, and I'm certainly not trying to make little of the loss of any child, but we see the same biased reporting time and time again in the Media, and the blatantly biased manner with which they portray the events of the past, working hand-in-glove with the same establishment revisionist clique, that have been doing the rounds since 1913.

Antóin Mac Comháin
What is defamation of character? Did I become an Informant before June 1994, when I resigned from the Dublin Anti-Water Charges Campaign Coordinating Committee that I had helped to establish and organize from the beginning, and the Residents Association that I had founded when I was a teenager, because I wanted space away from a relative of one of the people who abused one of my loved ones, or was I recruited as an Informant at a much, much later date?' How dare Sinead O'Connor, and people like her.

This Is Abuse - The Forgotten Child Victims Of British Occupation - Saoirse April 1994

'The tragic deaths of two children, killed by a Republican bomb in Warrington in March 1993, hit the world headlines, simply because of the power of the British media networks. Every Republican mourned their deaths, but many felt angry because the-powers-that-be, as formerly, remained highly selective in their condemnations. When Warrington occurred we witnessed what amounted to political amnesia, which was a studied insult to the intelligence of the ordinary people of the occupied zone. Those who felt such most intensely included scores of families who witnessed their children being killed by the British so-called 'security forces'. What follows is a reminder and a memorial to their memory. This research topic is ongoing and is therefore currently incomplete, yet worthy of publication as it is at an advanced stage.'

14 August 1969 - Patrick Rooney (9) - Shot dead by the RUC Belfast
06 April 1970 - Francis McGuigan (2) - Killed by Asphyxiated CS Gas fired by British troops in Ballymurphy Belfast
27 June 1970 - Carol Ann McCool (3) - Killed in premature explosion in Derry
27 June 1970 - Bernadette McCool (9) - Killed in premature explosion in Derry
08 February 1971 - Denise Ann Dickson (5) - Killed by British army in Belfast
00 February 1971 - Angela Gallagher (17 months) - Killed by UVF bomb in Belfast
00 February 1971 - Desmond Healy (14) - Killed by UVF bomb in Belfast
00 February 1971 - James McCallum (14) - Killed by UVF bomb in Belfast
24 July 1971 - Damien Harkin (6) - Killed by British army in Derry
09 August 1971 - Leo McGuigan (15) - Shot by British army in Belfast
06 September 1971 - Annette McGavigan (14) - Shot by British army in Derry
04 December 1971 - Marie McGurk (13) - Killed by MRF/UVF bomb in Belfast
04 December 1971 - James Cromie (13) - Killed by MRF/UVF bomb in Belfast
11 December 1971 - Tracey Munn (1) - Killed by a bomb in Belfast
11 December 1971 - Colin Nicholl (7 months) - Killed by a bomb in Belfast
14 December 1971 - Martin McShane (15) - Killed by the British army in Coalisland
07 January 1972 - Shaun O'Riordan (14) - Shot by British army in Belfast
19 February 1972 - David McAuley (13) - Shot by the British army in Belfast
01 March 1972 - Michael Connors (14) - Shot by the British army in Belfast
20 April 1972 - Francis Rowntree (11) - Shot by British army in Belfast
29 April 1972 - Rosaleen Gavin (8) - Shot by British army in Belfast
11 May 1972 - Joan Scott (12) - Killed in a gun battle involving the British army and the UDA
14 May 1972 - Michael McGee (16) - Shot by the UDA in Belfast
19 May 1972 - Manus Deery (15) - Shot by the British army in Derry
09 July 1972 - John Dougal (15) - Shot by the British army in Belfast
12 July 1972 - David McCleneghan (15) - Shot by the UVF in Belfast (He had a mental age of 7 and the UVF gang raped his mother, as he was forced to watch, and the mother was then shot, but survived)
14 July 1972 - Harold Morris (14) - Shot by the UDA in Belfast
16 July 1972 - Tobias Molloy (15) - Shot by the British army in Strabane
19 July 1972 - Alan Jack (5 months) - Killed in bomb explosion in Strabane
21 July 1972 - Stephen Parker (14) - Killed by IRA bomb in Belfast
31 July 1972 - Catherine Eakin (9) - Killed by IRA bomb in Claudy
31 July 1972 - Joseph Connolly (16) - Killed by IRA bomb in Claudy
31 July 1972 - William Temple (16) - Killed by IRA bomb in Claudy
31 July 1972 - Daniel Hegarty (16) - Shot by British army in Derry
22 September 1972 - Daniel Rooney (15) - Shot by British army in Belfast
07 October 1972 - Alec Moorehead (15) - Shot by UDR in Newtownstewart
14 October 1972 - Michael Turner (15) - Shot by MRF in Belfast
15 October 1972 - William Doherty (4) - Shot by British army in Belfast
00 October 1972 - William Warnock (15) - Shot by British army in Belfast
31 October 1972 - Paula Strong (6) - Killed by MRF/UVF bomb in Belfast
31 October 1972 - Claire Hughes (4) - Killed by MRF/UVF bomb in Belfast
27 November 1972 - Rory Gormley (14) - Killed by UVF bomb in Belfast
16 December 1972 - James Reynolds (16) - Shot by UVF in Belfast
27 December 1972 - Eugene Devlin (15) - Shot by British army in Strabane
30 December 1972 - Bernard Fox (16) - Shot by British army in Belfast
29 January 1973 - Petter Watterson (14) - Shot by British backed death squads in Belfast
30 January 1973 - Philip Rafferty (14) - Shot by British backed death squads in Belfast
27 February 1973 - Kevin Healy (13) - Shot by British army in Newry
23 March 1973 - Sean O'Riordan (13) - Shot by British army in Belfast
19 April 1973 - Anthony McDowell (12) - Shot by British army in Belfast
17 May 1973 - Eileen Mackin (14) - Shot by British backed death squads in Belfast
16 June 1973 - Daniel Rouse (15) - Shot by British backed death squads in Belfast
09 August 1973 - Paul Crummey (4) - Shot by British backed death squads in Belfast
14 August 1973 - Henry Cunningham (16) - Shot by British backed death squads in Belfast
08 September 1973 - Brian McDermott (10) - (His body was found in a river after he had been reported missing for several days. He had been sexually assaulted and tortured by his killer, alleged to have been John McKeague*(1). The killing, which involved dismemberment and the burning of the body in the Ormeau Park, was so gruesome that the local press speculated that it might have been carried out as part of a Satanic ritual.)
14 November 1973 – Kathleen Feeney (15) – Shot during IRA attack on British army in Derry
29 May 1974 – Michelle Osborne (13) – Killed by a UVF bomb at Hannahstown outside Belfast
11 July 1974 – Michael Browne (16) – Shot by the UVF in Belfast
12 July 1974 – Barbara Leatham (8) – Beaten to death by Loyalists in Lurgan
29 April 1975 – Anthony Meli (10) – Killed by UVF bomb in Belfast
17 July 1975 – Ciaran Irvine (16) – Shot by a ‘nervous’ British soldier, after the car in which the youth was travelling ‘backfired’ as an army foot patrol was passing in Belfast
06 August 1975 - Siobhan McCabe (4) – Shot by British troops in Andersontown Belfast
07 August 1975 – Patrick Crawford (15) - Shot by British troops in Andersontown Belfast
28 August 1975 – Stephen Geddis (10) – Victim of a rubber bullet fired by the British army in Belfast
17 March 1976 - James Francis McCaughey (aged 13) - killed by UVF bomb outside Hillcrest Bar Dungannon
17 - March 1976 Patrick Barnard (aged 13) - killed by UVF bomb outside Hillcrest Bar Dungannon
10 August 1976 – Andrew Maguire (6 weeks) – Occupant of a car riddled with bullets by the British army
10 August 1976 – John Maguire (2) - Occupant of a car riddled with bullets by the British army
10 August 1976 – Joanne Maguire (8) - Occupant of a car riddled with bullets by the British army
14 August 1976 – Majella O’Hare (12) – Shot by the British army in Whitecross
27 August 1976 – Brigeen Dempsey (10 months) – Shot by the British army in Belfast
10 October 1976 – Brian Stewart (13) – Shot by the British army in Belfast
11 October 1976 - Anne Magee (15) – Shot by UFF/UDA in Belfast
09 November 1976 – Cornelius McCrory (16) – Shot by UFF/UDA in Belfast
10 November 1976 – Carol McMenamy (14) - Shot by UFF/UDA in Belfast
24 December 1976 – Geraldine McKeown (14) - Shot by UFF/UDA in Belfast
24 October 1977 – Michael Neill (16) – Shot by British army in Belfast
16 November 1977 – Marcia Gregg (15) – Killed when Loyalists burned her home in Ligoniel Belfast
00 February 1978 – Michael Scott (10) – Killed alongside his grandmother by a Loyalist bomb at their home in Belfast
09 April 1978 – Kevin MvMenamin (10) – Killed by a Shankill Butchers bomb in Belfast
11 July 1978 – John Boyle (15) – Shot dead by the SAS in Antrim
01 October 1978 – Grahame Lewis (13) – Protestant who was accidentally shot when playing with his father’s legally-held gun in Belfast
09 October 1978 – Denis Neill (16) – Shot by the British army in Belfast
01 January 1980 – Doreen McGuinness (16) Shot by the British army in Belfast
31 March 1980 – Paul Moran (15) – Shot by the British army in Belfast
23 July 1980 – Michael McCartan (15) – Shot by the RUC when he was painting a slogan on a wall in Belfast
15 April 1981 – Paul Whitters (15) – Shot by the British army in Derry
07 May 1981 – Desmond Guiney (14) - Killed during a riot in Belfast
12 May 1981 – Julie Livingstone (13) – Killed by the British army in Belfast
22 May 1981 – Carol Ann Kelly (12) - Killed by the British army in Belfast
08 July 1981 – John Dempsey (16) – Shot by the British army in Belfast
09 July 1981 – Daniel Barrett (15) - Shot by the British army in Belfast
11 April 1982 – Stephen McConomy (11) – Shot by the RUC in Derry
06 July 1988 – David Hanna (6) – Killed by an IRA bomb in Armagh
24 July 1988 – Eamma Donnelly (14) – Killed during an IRA attack on Benburb RUC base
09 November 1991 – Colin Lundy (16) – Killed alongside his mother by a Loyalist petrol bomb in Belfast
05 February 1992 – James Kennedy (15) – Killed by the UFF/UDA in Belfast
23 October 1993 – Michelle Baird (7) - Killed by an IRA bomb in Belfast
23 October 1993 – Leanne Murray (13) - Killed by an IRA bomb in Belfast
05 December 1993 – Brian Duffy (15) – Shot by the UFF/UDA in Belfast

*(1) John McKeague is believed to have played a leading role in the formation of the Ulster Volunteer Force in 1966, as well as being a member of numerous other Loyalist Paramilitary groups. In 1966 he joined Ian Paisley's Free Presbyterian Church, and in 1968 having moved to Belfast he then joined the Ulster Protestant Volunteers. Before coming to Belfast he had been questioned in relation to a sexual assault on two young boys although the charges were later dropped. In 1969 he helped to establish the Shankill Defence Association which later merged with the Ulster Defence Association, and then in 1972 he helped to establish the Red Hand Commandos. McKeague's relationship with William McGrath and Tara*(2) is also disputed. McGrath was later charged and convicted of the sexual abuse of kids at Kincora Boy’s Home.

According to Tim Pat Coogan McKeague was a founder member of Tara of 1966 although he does not elaborate on the details. Chris Moore, in his investigation into the Kincora scandal, insists that McKeague was never a member of Tara but that he and McGrath had met to discuss trading weapons between their two groups and that following these meetings McKeague had become a regular visitor to Kincora, where he was involved in several rapes of underage boys living at the home.

In 1971 he was tried for incitement to hatred after publishing the controversial Loyalist Song Book. The first man to be tried under the Incitement to Hatred Act, McKeague's book included the line "you've never seen a better Taig than with a bullet in his head". After the jury disagreed at his trial a retrial was ordered at which he and a co-defendant were acquitted. Martin Dillon in the Dirty War argues that it was around this time that Special Branch first recruited him as an agent, allegedly using information they had obtained about his paedophile activities to force him to agree, and that he was handed over to Military Intelligence by Special Branch the following year.

McKeague became a leading figure in the Ulster Loyalist Central Coordinating Committee (ULCCC), and in 1976 publicly endorsed Ulster nationalism in his capacity as an ULCCC spokesman. The aim of the group, which McKeague chaired, was to co-ordinate loyalist paramilitaries with the aim of founding a unified "Ulster army".

In January 1982 McKeague was interviewed by detectives investigating the Kincora Boy’s Home*(2) scandal about his involvement in the sexual abuse. Fearful of returning to prison McKeague told friends that he was prepared to name others involved in the paedophile ring to avoid a sentence. On 29 January 1982, McKeague was shot dead by the INLA.

*(2) Kincora Boys' Home

On 3 April 1980 three members of staff at the home, William McGrath, Raymond Semple and Joseph Mains, were charged with a number of offences relating to the systematic sexual abuse of children in their care over a number of years. All three were later convicted and jailed. Mains, the former warden, received a term of six years, Semple, a former assistant warden, five years and McGrath was jailed in December 1981 for four years.

Allegations were later made that the Royal Ulster Constabulary had been informed of the abuse at the home for years previously, but had not moved to prevent it. In his 1999 book The Dirty War, Martin Dillon claims that McGrath, who was also the leader of an obscure loyalist paramilitary group called Tara, may have been employed by MI5 since the 1960s and was being blackmailed into providing intelligence on other loyalist groups.

Ian Paisley, leader of the Democratic Unionist Party and moderator of the Free Presbyterian Church which he founded in 1951, was accused of failing to report the fact of McGrath's abuse to the relevant authorities although he initially denied ever being advised by his informant, a church member, Valerie Shaw, that it was taking place. McGrath was himself married with children. Paisley later gave other versions acknowledging learning from Shaw about McGrath's homosexuality.

During this time, it is alleged by current affairs magazine Private Eye, high-ranking members of the Whitehall Civil Service and senior officers of the British military were involved in the sexual abuse of boys in Kincora.

A "private inquiry" was set up in January 1982 by James Prior, the Northern Ireland Secretary of State, under the Commissioner of Complaints, Stephen McGonagle, to deal with these allegations. However it collapsed after three of its members resigned because they felt that the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) had failed to carry out an effective investigation.

Joshua Cardwell, an east Belfast Unionist Party of Northern Ireland (UPNI) councillor and Stormont MP who formerly chaired the Belfast Corporation Welfare Committee responsible for children's' homes, died by suicide in 1982 after making a statement to the RUC in March over Kincora.

IRN - Tragic incident was ‘major success’ for British Army

A confidential British government document has been unearthed that describes one of the most painful incidents of the conflict, resulting in the deaths of three children, as a “carefully planned operation” and “a major success”.

The memo was written the day after the deaths of the three children who were struck by an out-of-control car whose driver had been shot dead by British troops.

The case is being reviewed by the Historical Enquiries Team (HET) as part of a probe into the August 10 1976 events.

The deaths of the three innocent children on Finaghy Road North in Belfast sparked the formation of the Peace People movement.

Among the documents the HET is reviewing is the confidential note of the meeting held in the Northern Ireland Office the day after the tragedy.

“The chairman remarked that the incident which resulted in the death of two children in Belfast had otherwise been a major success for the security forces,” it states.

“My main point is that if this was a carefully planned operation, if they had prior information, why did they not arrest my brother?

“Why did they start shooting on a busy road in the middle of a hot summer’s day when the place was full of people?

“It’s reasonable to see if you fire in an open area, people may get shot and if you fire at a car, it may go out of control.

“It was reckless and the end result was the tragic death of three children and my brother at the hands of the British army. “

The Lennon family also say the Peace People, founded by the children’s aunt Mairead Corrigan Maguire and campaigner Betty Williams, hindered a proper investigation into the event.

“The birth of the Peace People, we believe, prevented people from coming forward at the time,” Sean Lennon said.

The Peace People movement held marches that were thousands strong before its founders became the youngest recipients of the Nobel peace prize.

While lauding the Peace People movement, the political and media establishment also ensured the childrens’ deaths were blamed squarely -- and falsely -- on the executed IRA Volunteer.

“Our family became hate figures throughout the world,” Mr Lennon said.

“We got hate mail through the door for months and we would have to come to the house before the postman so that our mother didn’t have to see it.

“The Peace People was a politically orchestrated campaign.

“They didn’t do our family any favours and portrayed a story that my brother murdered three children.

“With the whole Peace People movement, we were forgotten about.

“There has never been any inquest in this case and the autopsy reports into the children’s death have never been made public.

“l have all the sympathy in the world with the Maguire children.

“The story of the Maguire kids was rightly told but ours never was.

“Our family have carried that for all the years. I do not blame Danny one iota for the death of the Maguire kids.

“Danny was innocent of the deaths of the Maguire children.

“I lay the responsibility with the British army.”
Last edited: