• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Now it's gone completely NUTS! - Statues of 'slave' girls removed from outside the Shelbourne Hotel.

SwordOfStCatherine

The Duke was opposed to allowing Catholics sit in Parliament but it was made clear to him that any further delay would mean Ireland going up in Flames

- he reluctantly conceded that it would have to happen

A Great General - but a Horrible Reactionary!
Where did you read that? It goes against everything that I have read about him on this subject matter,.

OP
Catalpa

Catalpa

PI Member
Where did you read that? It goes against everything that I have read about him on this subject matter,.
OK Brilliant letter to the Irish Times from Mr Fleming of Palmerstown [!] puts it very well indeed & far better than I can where the Duke was coming from in proposing CE to the House of Lords:

Wellington and Ireland

Martin Mansergh is right to record that the Duke of Wellington forced through the Catholic emancipation legislation of 1829 and that his efforts on behalf of his native Ireland are not fully appreciated here (Letters, June 8th). By quoting the flowery expression of gratitude issued by the Catholic bishops at the time, I fear he runs the risk of overstating the case. Wellington researched the issue of the “Catholic question’” in the early months of 1825 and read a memorandum detailing his findings to his close friends Charles and Harriet Arbuthnot in April of that year. In it he outlined how the younger and newer MPs were in favour of emancipation and he foresaw that this pattern was likely to increase in the years ahead. At the same time the majority against change in the House of Lords would remain and so ongoing conflict between the two Houses would ensue, leading to political instability. The memorandum never saw the light of day but it is clear that, from then on, he accepted that change was inevitable and timing and tactics were the only concern....

That is Wellington saw it as a practical necessity rather than a matter of Principle.

Myles O'Reilly

Deported
PI Member
Top Bloke
I'm somewhat disappointed in you Catalpa :(

Myles O'Reilly

Deported
PI Member
Top Bloke
While I was banned I sent an emissary called Max Cherry to remind you 'twas 100 years to the day the shootout on Talbot St took place where that famous photograph was taken.

Alas one of your customary articles was not forthcoming :cry:

OP
Catalpa

Catalpa

PI Member
While I was banned I sent an emissary called Max Cherry to remind you 'twas 100 years to the day the shootout on Talbot St took place where that famous photograph was taken.

Alas one of your customary articles was not forthcoming :cry:
Didn't get the chance comrade but don't worry I will have a few more on the WOI before the year is out...

El Chaval.

PI Member
Who

- & Why?
He was the Marxist Prime Minister of Spain during the Civil War, and responsible for the brutal murders of tens of thousands of civilians and clergy.
He also sent most of the Spanish gold reserves to Moscow, as Spain lay in economic ruin.
VOX made a vow to remove the plaque, and have done so as their political strength has grown in Madrdi Council.

Top Bottom