• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

No Stone Unturned Loughinisland

OP
OP
Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
I wonder how they would hold out without the indirect support of the British Army behind them. They were second rate during the troubles, even with state collusion - the provos were more sophisticated and deadly.
I guess it's conventional wisdom that the Dublin/Monaghan bombings were orchestrated by MI5/Special Branch and that the Loyalists who were fingered just delivered the bombs. Tonto Watt was the U.V.F.'s top bomb maker, but the best he could muster was to stuff beer kegs with sticks of gelignite? Kids' stuff...

Even though Martin Dillon doesn't have the balls to intimate that the Brits/R.U.C. were involved in keeping the murder squad in the dark regarding the identity of the Shankill Butchers, Lenny Murphy's being able to lead the cops around by the nose for years on end just stinks to high heaven. I'm not sure Jimmy Nesbitt was instructed to play dumb or else, but it doesn't add up that Lenny Murphy had no problem in having William Moore and Basher Bates do his bidding for so long. Murphy was a clever son-of-a-bitch, but...

That is quite true. They used to call most of their own operations as "TPFU's": Typical Prod fuck ups.
Especially considering they picked the softest targets possible: Catholics sitting in a bar, simply opening the door to their homes or walking home liquored up and getting brained by a wheel brace and dragged into a taxi and tortured to death. The description of the murders in the Shankill Butchers book made me want to vomit. Really.

OP
OP
Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
I wonder how they would hold out without the indirect support of the British Army behind them. They were second rate during the troubles, even with state collusion - the provos were more sophisticated and deadly.
But what do yous make of the theory that Martin McGuinness was a British informant? The penny dropped for me when he claimed that he drove around Northern Ireland completely unarmed. Was it the Brits' telling Loyalists to let him be or else, or was it McGuinness bullshitting, so he could get even more street credibility and admiration from Provos?

I guess it's conventional wisdom that the Dublin/Monaghan bombings were orchestrated by MI5/Special Branch and that the Loyalists who were fingered just delivered the bombs. Tonto Watt was the U.V.F.'s top bomb maker, but the best he could muster was to stuff beer kegs with sticks of gelignite? Kids' stuff...

Even though Martin Dillon doesn't have the balls to intimate that the Brits/R.U.C. were involved in keeping the murder squad in the dark regarding the identity of the Shankill Butchers, Lenny Murphy's being able to lead the cops around by the nose for years on end just stinks to high heaven. I'm not sure Jimmy Nesbitt was instructed to play dumb or else, but it doesn't add up that Lenny Murphy had no problem in having William Moore and Basher Bates do his bidding for so long. Murphy was a clever son-of-a-bitch, but...

Especially considering they picked the softest targets possible: Catholics sitting in a bar, simply opening the door to their homes or walking home liquored up and getting brained by a wheel brace and dragged into a taxi and tortured to death. The description of the murders in the Shankill Butchers book made me want to vomit. Really.
Overall, I think they would run into serious problems hanging on to their identity if their "allies" withdrew. I can't see any other outcome. Of course quite a number of civilians could possibly die.

I'm not the type of person who gets intoxicated with patriotism really. I wouldn't enjoy parading around other people's death.

OP
OP
Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
Overall, I think they would run into serious problems hanging on to their identity if their "allies" withdrew. I can't see any other outcome. Of course quite a number of civilians could possibly die.

I'm not the type of person who gets intoxicated with patriotism really. I wouldn't enjoy parading around other people's death.
I suspect that N.I. loyalists see their counterparts in Donegal (and elsewhere) march around and think to themselves, "There's no way that's going to happen to me!" Therein lies the rub, me thinks.

maxflinn

Donator
Premium Account
I was doing some building work onetime for a retired sergeant here in Waterford. He used to be part of Paisley senior's security detail when he'd come down south for talks etc.

He surprisingly said that Paisley was very warm and friendly to them all and would remember their names and ask how they were doing etc every time he'd see them.

Totally different to the bombastic character we used to see on the TV.

Oh and the cop 'took care' of some penalty points I'd acquired for speeding too, in return for not charging him for a bit of extra work I done.

He was Irish alright :)