New Nationalist Party formed in Ireland - An Páirtí Náisiúnta \ The National Party

Yes, our latterday Republicans feel a lot more comfortable with Connolly - though with a very dumbed down and Disneyfied version of him. Apparently James Connolly died for gay marriage and abortion for all.
I consider Patrick Pearse to have been a Saint. What makes someone a Saint? Well remember on the thread that you started on Alchemy where I talked about the difference between allegory and symbol, how allegory drains something of it's essential content and fills it with another while with a symbol it retains it's essential content but becomes transparent to a Light from above- I think that is what Sainthood is, being wholly yourself but at the same not despite but because of that you become transparent to the Pre-Eternal Glory. If you got people to see Patrick Pearse as a Spiritual Ideal in the same way that St Sava and St Lazar was and to a degree still is to the Serbs I believe it would have a transfiguring effect upon the Irish people.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
I consider Patrick Pearse to have been a Saint. What makes someone a Saint? Well remember on the thread that you started on Alchemy where I talked about the difference between allegory and symbol, how allegory drains something of it's essential content and fills it with another while with a symbol it retains it's essential content but becomes transparent to a Light from above- I think that is what Sainthood is, being wholly yourself but at the same not despite but because of that you become transparent to the Pre-Eternal Glory. If you got people to see Patrick Pearse as a Spiritual Ideal in the same way that St Sava and St Lazar was and to a degree still is to the Serbs I believe it would have a transfiguring effect upon the Irish people.

I fully agree a chara. Trying to fit Pearse into materialist categories is sheer foolishness. So much so that our latterday Republicans have had the good sense to stop doing it - but since they don't have any other categories except materialist categories, they must pass over his name in a confused and embarrassed silence. Of course, the free staters have moved on to outright hostility and sneering derision.

I fully agree a chara. Trying to fit Pearse into materialist categories is sheer foolishness. So much so that our latterday Republicans have had the good sense to stop doing it - but since they don't have any other categories except materialist categories, they must pass over his name in a confused and embarrassed silence. Of course, the free staters have moved on to outright hostility and sneering derision.
Yet despite all this there are plenty of people like Ire-land who have an instinctive veneration of his memory.

Ire-land

Donator
Premium Account
Yet despite all this there are plenty of people like Ire-land who have an instinctive veneration of his memory.
I was lucky enough to have been brought to Kilmainham Gaol when I was a child, and it had a deep impact on me, even as very young person, and even though my parents weren't overly Irish in their thinking. I remember being in the yard and thinking that our people had been killed there, and looking at the wall that would have been the backdrop. I would visit it from time to time as a young man too, it always felt like a very important place to reconnect with. And I'm no history buff or anything like that, it was more a spiritual thing for me. So it's making a lot of sense to hear you talk about Pearse the way you are. But the others too felt sacred to me, they were always presented as heroic figures in school too. But there is definitely something about Pearse that's almost mythical. I have to say that his profile pictures added to that sense, and how he's always looking upwards in them too, so that adds a religious sort of element to it.

Ire-land

Donator
Premium Account
"O'Donovan Rossa was splendid in the proud manhood of him, splendid in the heroic grace of him, splendid in the Gaelic strength and clarity and truth of him."

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
Premium Account
Yes...............but did he take it up the Gary?