New Hollywood movie on the famine

bobsecret

Political Irish
A new movie based on the Irish famine.

Not sure how historically accurate it will be, but it looks quite good.

The movie, “Black 47”, follows the story of an Irish Ranger, during the worst of the Irish Famine in 1847. The Irish young soldier had been fighting for the British Army abroad but abandons his post to reunite with his family. Despite been hardened by his time on the battlefield he is shocked by the horror he discovers in his ravaged homeland.

Feeney, the Ranger, played by James Frecheville, finds his mother starved to death and his brother hanged by the brutal hand of the English. With little else to live for he sets a destructive path to avenge his family.

The Boss

Donator
Premium Account
More bollox to make the English look bad, If it isn't Rob Roy and Braveheart we now have Holywood faking shit with us and the Paddies.

The Irish were as much to blame for the famine as the English, but I bet the truth won't feature on this latest anti-English Bile.

It has received some bad reviews. Paddy Braveheart kinda stuff. I do hope it does a big box office, though, so that it might draw some Hollywood cash to some other projects with Irish history.

I've long felt that our rich mythology would make for great inspiration for a big budget Lord of the Rings type of saga. Surely audiences must be tiring of the X men/Avengers/Superbatman/Antman fillums by now. They do nothing for me at all.

D

Deleted member 2348

Non Registered Member
It has received some bad reviews. Paddy Braveheart kinda stuff. I do hope it does a big box office, though, so that it might draw some Hollywood cash to some other projects with Irish history.

I've long felt that our rich mythology would make for great inspiration for a big budget Lord of the Rings type of saga. Surely audiences must be tiring of the X men/Avengers/Superbatman/Antman fillums by now. They do nothing for me at all.
Neill Jordan had to swallow hard and make 'High Spirits', (Seen it?...don't!) before he could get a go at Micheal Collins..which for all its faults...

But you're right. This is rich territory to be mined.

K. Knightley will be Niamh Cian Oir and Daniel Day Lewis will play the Salmon of knowledge I'd reckon.

jmcc

No doubt the scum in the Dublin media who reviewed "The Wind That Shakes The Barley" without even watching the movie will be giving this a negative review. Eoghan Harris never got over the fact that Hollywood chose Jordan's script for the Collins movie rather than Harris's rubbish.

Last edited:
Neill Jordan had to swallow hard and make 'High Spirits', (Seen it?...don't!) before he could get a go at Micheal Collins..which for all its faults...

But you're right. This is rich territory to be mined.

K. Knightley will be Niamh Cian Oir and Daniel Day Lewis will play the Salmon of knowledge I'd reckon.
All of those dashing Hemsworth lads could play Fionn and Oisín and Cú Chulainn.

D

Deleted member 2348

Non Registered Member
All of those dashing Hemsworth lads could play Fionn and Oisín and Cú Chulainn.
No hold on I'm getting this all wrong, Gleeson is the elder Fionn and Colin Farrell is Oisin and that lad from the peaky blinders is the younger Fionn and Liam Neeson is obviously the salmon of knowledge.

What are you doing. The lighting?

No hold on I'm getting this all wrong, Gleeson is the elder Fionn and Colin Farrell is Oisin and that lad from the peaky blinders is the younger Fionn and Liam Neeson is obviously the salmon of knowledge.

What are you doing. The lighting?
If they're to be the male leads, the women.

Of course Tyrone and Shaqanda would probably be inserted into any film dealing with our fantastic myths.

Top Bottom