• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Music Video Neil Peart is dead

ShumanTheHuman

Donator
PI Member
At the boundary of Good Taste. Apparently.
Cannot believe I wrote that title. News emerged last night that the great rock drummer and lyricist Neil Peart has died aged 67 after suffering from brain cancer being diagnosed 3 years ago on Tuesday.
I've been a fan of the Professor and Rush for almost 40 years and he and the band have been, to varying degrees and sometimes in opposition, an integral part of my development throughout my life.

One of their iconic songs

Peart came out, usually, on top of drummer polls for decades. In all time polls of rock drummers he is invariably second to John Bonham. With the regard he was held in by fans and professional peers it is no great claim to say he was at or very near the top. Rush concerts always had a drum solo. Now I love his drumming because of the textures, patterns and dynamism he brought to the songs. His solos? Not so much. I know plenty of fans would regard his solo as the highlight of the show but, the two occasion I saw them, I used these as an opportunity to hit the bar. I just don't care for Rock solo's of any sort, drums, guitar, cow bell. It's not the form for solo's. Rock is about songs, tunes, riffs. If you want to feel your life ebbing away watch Ginger Bakers "Toad". And I know Baker came from a Jazz background - it's still a load of old balls. However I do like a nice jazz solo and like all great musicians Peart had a love of all great music and was open to influences wherever he found them. Growing up he was as much a fan of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa as Keith Moon.
He was such a fan of Buddy Rich, in fact, that he organised a tribute concert, Burning for Buddy, in 1994. Here is his solo from the concert

Pearts solo that he used to perform in the mid-late 70's contained phrases he took from Rich. Here he incorporates his own elements back into his tribute to Rich (when the backing musicians break into smiles and start nodding to each other) which is a lovely way to pay back and complete the circle

Peart's lyrics were divisive to say the least having him appear on both the Best and Worst lyrics polls sometimes at the same time. Personally I think when he was good he was great
Subdivisions
Sprawling on the fringes of the city
In geometric order
An insulated border
In-between the bright lights
And the far, unlit unknown

Growing up, it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass-production zone
Nowhere is the dreamer
Or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out

Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths, we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory
Of lighted streets on quiet nights

Subdivisions
In the high school halls
Peart suffered great personal tragedy in the late 90's when he only child died in a car crash, losing his wife shortly after to cancer. Although as Peart said "When their daughter died she just gave up. The doctors said she died of cancer but I know she died of a broken heart."
Following this loss Peart told his band mates he was hanging up his sticks and took to the road on his motorbike for the next couple of years. He documented this period in the book: Ghost Rider - travels on the healing road.
After this catharsis, and having not played drums for a number of years, he reconnected with his band mates and began writing and eventually touring again. While they never truly recaptured their old songwriting form, which had already ebbed away prior to Pearts tragedy, they were still capably of blowing audiences away live as this now legendary Live in Rio performance shows

Right up to the end of Rush the band were playing 3 hour sets despite both Peart and guitarist Alex Lifeson suffering from ever worsening physical aliments. Lets just leave Geddy Lee's ever declining vocal abilities aside for now

Peart married again in the 2000's and leaves a wife and daughter from that marriage.

If you can't stand the band, prog or hard rock in general, I would still recommend you watch Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage which is available on Netflix. I know I'm a fan but it's a hugely enjoyable documentary which encapsulates the band almost perfectly.

Some heavy rotation be happening this weekend

Last edited:

NiceNin

Donator
PI Member
Cannot believe I wrote that title. News emerged last night that the great rock drummer and lyricist Neil Peart has died aged 67 after suffering from brain cancer being diagnosed 3 years ago on Tuesday.
I've been a fan of the Professor and Rush for almost 40 years and he and the band have been, to varying degrees and sometimes in opposition, an integral part of my development throughout my life.

One of their iconic songs

Peart came out, usually, on top of drummer polls for decades. In all time polls of rock drummers he is invariably second to John Bonham. With the regard he was held in by fans and professional peers it is no great claim to say he was at or very near the top. Rush concerts always had a drum solo. Now I love his drumming because of the textures, patterns and dynamism he brought to the songs. His solos? Not so much. I know plenty of fans would regard his solo as the highlight of the show but, the two occasion I saw them, I used these as an opportunity to hit the bar. I just don't care for Rock solo's of any sort, drums, guitar, cow bell. It's not the form for solo's. Rock is about songs, tunes, riffs. If you want to feel your life ebbing away watch Ginger Bakers "Toad". And I know Baker came from a Jazz background - it's still a load of old balls. However I do like a nice jazz solo and like all great musicians Peart had a love of all great music and was open to influences wherever he found them. Growing up he was as much a fan of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa as Keith Moon.
He was such a fan of Buddy Rich, in fact, that he organised a tribute concert, Burning for Buddy, in 1994. Here is his solo from the concert

Pearts solo that he used to perform in the mid-late 70's contained phrases he took from Rich. Here he incorporates his own elements back into his tribute to Rich (when the backing musicians break into smiles and start nodding to each other) which is a lovely way to pay back and complete the circle

Peart's lyrics were divisive to say the least having him appear on both the Best and Worst lyrics polls sometimes at the same time. Personally I think when he was good he was great
Subdivisions

Peart suffered great personal tragedy in the late 90's when he only child died in a car crash, losing his wife shortly after to cancer. Although as Peart said "When their daughter died she just gave up. The doctors said she died of cancer but I know she died of a broken heart."
Following this loss Peart told his band mates he was hanging up his sticks and took to the road on his motorbike for the next couple of years. He documented this period in the book: Ghost Rider - travels on the healing road.
After this catharsis, and having not played drums for a number of years, he reconnected with his band mates and began writing and eventually touring again. While they never truly recaptured their old songwriting form, which had already ebbed away prior to Pearts tragedy, they were still capably of blowing audiences away live as this now legendary Live in Rio performance shows

Right up to the end of Rush the band were playing 3 hour sets despite both Peart and guitarist Alex Lifeson suffering from ever worsening physical aliments. Lets just leave Geddy Lee's ever declining vocal abilities aside for now

Peart married again in the 2000's and leaves a wife and daughter from that marriage.

If you can't stand the band, prog or hard rock in general, I would still recommend you watch Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage which is available on Netflix. I know I'm a fan but it's a hugely enjoyable documentary which encapsulates the band almost perfectly.

Some heavy rotation be happening this weekend
Thanks for that. I didn't know there's a Netflix documentary about them.

I think the remaining Rush members are still touring?

We were very lucky to grow up in such a profound musical era, although we didn't see it at the time. Indeed the legendary hard rock drummers were influenced very much by Gene Krupa.

"Spirit of Radio" one of the greatest rock anthems of all time.

RIP Neil Peart and thank you.

OP
ShumanTheHuman

ShumanTheHuman

Donator
PI Member
Thanks for that. I didn't know there's a Netflix documentary about them.

I think the remaining Rush members are still touring?

We were very lucky to grow up in such a profound musical era, although we didn't see it at the time. Indeed the legendary hard rock drummers were influenced very much by Gene Krupa.

"Spirit of Radio" one of the greatest rock anthems of all time.

RIP Neil Peart and thank you.

Lee & Lifeson have speculated about writing together but haven't done anything as yet afaik. Lifeson has performed with other bands such as here

I think Geddy Lee has just been concentrating on his History of Bass project.

Not aware of him playing with anyone.
Hopefully this will get them together again

OP
ShumanTheHuman

ShumanTheHuman

Donator
PI Member
They were a huge influence on th e New Wave of British Heavy Metal and bands like Iron Maiden as can be seen from this video.
Thrash bands usually cite them as well, particularly Metallica. Anthrax do a decent cover of Anthem.
Billy Corgan, of Smashing Pumpkins fame, is a huge fan, Trent Reznor also. Jeff Buckley was a fan as well

Their Prog Pomp Peak? This, to me, is a great example of the musicality and creativity that Peart brought to the songs as well as his lyrical imagination. This is where my From Location comes from

GodsDog

RIP Neil Peart.

Was a big fan. Still have a few Rush tracks on the sd card currently in my car stereo.

Top Bottom