• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

NASA's TESS is Now a Fully Armed and Operational Exoplanet Finder

johnhan279

PI Member
After a successful launch on April 18th of this year onboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, the next generation of space telescopes to look for exoplanets, in our galaxy, the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite has completed its commissioning phase and is now ready to take observations. TESS promises to expand our catalog of exoplanets and bring humanity a little closer to finding out if we are alone in the galaxy.

TESS planet-hunter snaps 1st test image, swings by moon

OP
johnhan279

johnhan279

PI Member
Major step up on keplar system

Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite - Wikipedia

The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) is a space telescope for NASA's Explorers program, designed to search for exoplanets using the transit method in an area 400 times larger than that covered by the Kepler mission. It was launched on April 18, 2018 atop a Falcon 9 rocket. During its primary mission, it is expected to find more than 20,000 exoplanets, compared to about 3,800 exoplanets known when it launched

Truthisfree

PI Member
For me, it is a case of we are not alone until proved otherwise.
For me it is a case we are alone until proved otherwise, discovering life on other planets may not be such a good thing.

Truthisfree

PI Member
Very true. But for me it takes a greater leap of faith to say we are alone than we aren't.
It does take a greater leap of faith to say we are alone, but we are and facing that reality is all we have. Don't get me wrong, Space exploration should and will continue.

OP
johnhan279

johnhan279

PI Member
TESS begins the hunt for rocky worlds
NASA’s newest planet-hunting spacecraft finds 50 candidate worlds during first survey
By Elizabeth Howell | Published: Friday, September 14, 2018

TESS begins the hunt for rocky worlds

In just six weeks of science observations, NASA's Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) has already found 50 possible new worlds for scientists to examine.

TESS finds planets by watching the dip in light as a planet passes in front of its parent star. It began science observations on July 25 and the first set of information was available to astronomers on September 5, but the first step in examining TESS’ data is to eliminate false positives. Sometimes a possible "planet" will actually be a binary star blocking its companion’s light, or it could be sunspots on the star's surface, no second body needed.

OP
johnhan279

johnhan279

PI Member

TESS the transiting exoplanet survey satellite, has taken its first science image. For those who don't know TESS is designed to look at small dips in brightness as planets pass between us and their host stars and will look at almost the entire sky over the course of 2 years.

OP
johnhan279

johnhan279

PI Member
Get ready for the avalanche folks! TESS is starting to return science data and already they've discovered two exoplanets. In this episode, I'll let you know more about them.

GodsDog

=>7:04
And you know the reason I really love the stars
is that we cannot hurt them

We can't burn them or melt them or make them overflow.
We can't flood them or blow them up or turn them off
But we are reaching for them

We are reaching for them

NotPC

PI Member
It's good to see NASA take up space programs again after their ill advised trip into the FAKE CLIMATE SCAMMING INDUSTRY!!!!!

Top Bottom