• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Memories of my Last Visit to Ireland 1980

Art

Donator
Premium Account
Well it would be of great interest to hear your account. I assume you have a spouse to accompany you. Otherwise save a few quid and visit Boston. I have met people that got fantastic bargains in the off season. One couple got a long weekend and put into the Park Plaza Hotel for I think he said about 700 euro.
Serious question - what would make Boston worth the trip? Do they have any particular tourist attractions?

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
Premium Account
Serious question - what would make Boston worth the trip? Do they have any particular tourist attractions?
They dye the river green for paddys day?

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Easily the most interesting for history. Also for sport with 4 winning teams, theatre and boston pops

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
There is not much of a flow rate on the Charles River so it would not work

OP
OP
Plasticpaddy
I went to Boston in March 1999 I saw the St.Patrick's Day parade.I had a great time.I remember they had gigantic horses.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
I went to Boston in March 1999 I saw the St.Patrick's Day parade.I had a great time.I remember they had gigantic horses.
Horses here are regular size. If their necks were a bit long Plastic, they were a different animal called a giraffe.

OP
OP
Plasticpaddy
Anyway lets hear some positive things .People tell me what you like about living in Ireland.I'm still interested in old slang and new.

Art

Donator
Premium Account
For all our griping there is nowhere else I would rather live.

With the exception of a few black spots we have

Beautiful scenery
Friendly people
Relatively safe streets
Politically stable
Relatively high standard of living
Good range of consumer choices
Decent public transport in the capitol.
No poisonous /dangerous plants or animals
Pleasant weather generally

It ticks all the boxes really.

Don't any of you like living in Ireland anymore,it's not that bad is it?

The thing that has changed above all else, is the type of emigrants Ireland is breeding. They are not Cricklewood cubs, but Celtic Tiger pups, most of whom are to the British Financial Markets, what 98% of Irish Premiership wannabes are to the Football Industry. The older emigrants were made of sterner stuff, and came from a different Class.

For all our griping there is nowhere else I would rather live.

With the exception of a few black spots we have

Beautiful scenery
Friendly people
Relatively safe streets
Politically stable
Relatively high standard of living
Good range of consumer choices
Decent public transport in the capitol.
No poisonous /dangerous plants or animals
Pleasant weather generally

It ticks all the boxes really.
Where is the beautiful scenery? One picture is worth a thousand words.
Beating up tourists is friendly?
Where are the safe streets?
Politically stable; with a mick mack government...
Public transport - lol
Ragworth
Nice soft rain

Bullshíte!

Art

Donator
Premium Account
Where is the beautiful scenery? One picture is worth a thousand words.
Beating up tourists is friendly?
Where are the safe streets?
Politically stable; with a mick mack government...
Public transport - lol
Ragworth
Nice soft rain

Bullshíte!
I did say apart from a few black spots.

I currently live in Cork and find the scenery enchanting, the people very friendly, and the streets safe. And yes we might not like the government, but we are a long way from a revolution or a military coup and so we are politically stable.

When I lived in Dublin I rarely ever drove within Dublin as the public transport was convenient and cheap. A car in the city was more of a hindrance than a help.

There were a total of 17 violent crimes committed against tourists in Ireland last year, which is 17 too many but far from epidemic proportions. All of these attacks were in Dublin city centre which is shamefully under patrolled by the Gardai.

Ireland is in fact now seen as a safe destination away from terrorist attacks with a subsequent big increase in tourism numbers.

Tourism is on the rise in Ireland because holiday-makers are staying away from terror-threat locations, experts say.
The Irish Tourism Industry Confederation (ITIC) has warned that more hotels must be built to cope with the demand, particularly in Dublin.
The ITIC said that tourism has increased as Ireland is viewed as a ‘safer’ option following horror attacks in Paris, Brussels, Egypt and Tunisia.
http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tourism-increasing-dublin-viewed-safer-11289974

Last edited:
I did say apart from a few black spots.

I currently live in Cork and find the scenery enchanting, the people very friendly, and the streets safe. And yes we might not like the government, but we are a long way from a revolution or a military coup and so we are politically stable.

When I lived in Dublin I rarely ever drove within Dublin as the public transport was convenient and cheap. A car in the city was more of a hindrance than a help.

There were a total of 17 violent crimes committed against tourists in Ireland last year, which is 17 too many but far from epidemic proportions. All of these attacks were in Dublin city centre which is shamefully under patrolled by the Gardai.

Ireland is in fact now seen as a safe destination away from terrorist attacks with a subsequent big increase in tourism numbers.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tourism-increasing-dublin-viewed-safer-11289974
'Savage' attack by group of teenagers on tourist in Dublin city centre
Man in critical condition following assault in Dublin city centre

OP
OP
Plasticpaddy
Thanks for the feedback both positive and negative.Being London born of Irish parents has given me a mixed psychology I think the depression and anger I've had in my life comes from that.I have even been homesick for a land I didn't grow up in.Now I embrace the tag Plastic Paddy and see the good and the humorous side of it all.