Memories of my Last Visit to Ireland 1980

The last time I was in Ireland was the summer of 1980.At the age of 24 my mate and I began our holiday in Kinvarra Co. Galway.We stayed with his relations we were both London Irish and it was a whole different scene for us.We did a lot of drinking and some dancing.One day I climbed some rocks on my own a foolish thing to do but I got away with it.On a hot summers day we helped on the farm I remember herding cattle and stacking hay.
The second part of our journey took us to Cashel,Co. Tipperary,my father's second wife's family lived there.There was more drinking and some dancing.One night the locals gave me pigs trotters and poteen I sang Liverpool Loo and was sick as a dog.I remember banter and phrases used in the area,such as Limerick where the flays eat the man,Dublin jackeen,and culshie and bogman.The local lads would refer to young women as horses.As in she's a fine horse,a bit like saying a nice looking bird in England.I do wonder if such phrases and banter still go on or is it all old hat now.I certainly have great memories of all the great people I met.

Spearmint

Political Irish
Ireland has changed a lot since the 80s, back then it was a more quieter place where you could drive for miles and end up in some rural village with 10 pubs and great banter and craic in each one.

Today its just a copy of England, you can still find some lovely places to visit but unlike the Ireland of old its a much more modern hip place thst will rip you off.

Afternoon tea in a nice hotel could set you back anywhere between 20-30 euro.

The phrases still exist but are used as a racial slur more than a harmless bit of banter.

New words are langer and knacker.

RockingRock

Political Irish
PP, whats wrong with you lad?

36 years since you been home?

Too long away, get back over here and get some real guiness inside you.

Cork, Kerry are beautiful places, you should visit them areas if you havent previously.

Listowl in Kerry is a favourite getaway of mine.

OP
OP
Plasticpaddy
PP, whats wrong with you lad?

36 years since you been home?

Too long away, get back over here and get some real guiness inside you.

Cork, Kerry are beautiful places, you should visit them areas if you havent previously.

Listowl in Kerry is a favourite getaway of mine.
Thanks for the Tipp. It's funny how the years go by I am married and living in Brighton now.Maybe I will visit Ireland again I am an old git of 60 now Brighton is a great place as for home I suppose that's a state of mind.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
It's not like you are a million miles away Plastic, drive over for a week. I wish I could visit as easily.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
Premium Account
Thanks for the Tipp. It's funny how the years go by I am married and living in Brighton now.Maybe I will visit Ireland again I am an old git of 60 now Brighton is a great place as for home I suppose that's a state of mind.
I dunno if I would agree. The beach in Brighton is covered with stones.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
The last time I was in Ireland was the summer of 1980.At the age of 24 my mate and I began our holiday in Kinvarra Co. Galway.We stayed with his relations we were both London Irish and it was a whole different scene for us.We did a lot of drinking and some dancing.One day I climbed some rocks on my own a foolish thing to do but I got away with it.On a hot summers day we helped on the farm I remember herding cattle and stacking hay.
The second part of our journey took us to Cashel,Co. Tipperary,my father's second wife's family lived there.There was more drinking and some dancing.One night the locals gave me pigs trotters and poteen I sang Liverpool Loo and was sick as a dog.I remember banter and phrases used in the area,such as Limerick where the flays eat the man,Dublin jackeen,and culshie and bogman.The local lads would refer to young women as horses.As in she's a fine horse,a bit like saying a nice looking bird in England.I do wonder if such phrases and banter still go on or is it all old hat now.I certainly have great memories of all the great people I met.

I'm afraid you would hardly recognise Ireland now. We have been thoroughly MacDonaldized.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
It's not like you are a million miles away Plastic, drive over for a week. I wish I could visit as easily.

I think he is better to stay away and keep his memories untainted by the disgusting reality of what we have fallen to.

Top Bottom