Mary Lou McDonald becomes SF leader. Calls for a "New Ireland".

The Provos were a thinly veiled sectarian hit squad, among many other nefarious activities.

Get Mary Lou and friends to condemn them???:D

Not on your nelly - they actually praise them.:cool:
No doubt there was a sectarian element among the PIRA, but the Loyalist paramilitaries were far more avowedly sectarian.

For better or worse, a significant chunk of the population, north and south, have a strong emotional attachment to the PIRA.
Whatever about modern day SF, the Provos provided community defense and policing (however questionable their methods at times) in an era when Catholic Nationalists couldn't trust the state.

Love them or loath them, they didn't emerge out of a vacuum.
They were the product of a dysfunctional, clientalist state.
Their stated ideologically motivated goals were a secondary consideration among many of their grassroots supporters.

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
Premium Account
Sinn Féin new President Mary Lou McDonald ends her speech with “Up the Republic, up the rebels and Tiocfaidh ár lá”.Imagine if Arlene Foster shouted 'Up the UDA, Up the UVF, No Surrender' at the end of a speech - what would SF have to say to that?:rolleyes:
The Republic of Ireland equals the UDA?

I've just seen Ms.McDonald speaking on the news she's doing a good job and Ireland can be proud of her.The dinosaurs need to step aside she represent todays Ireland and people like her are likely to achieve Irish unity.She also said Mr.Varadkan was smarmy when asked to describe in one word,this was in response to a one word description he had said about her,I can't remember what it was.

I've just seen Ms.McDonald speaking on the news she's doing a good job and Ireland can be proud of her.The dinosaurs need to step aside she represent todays Ireland and people like her are likely to achieve Irish unity.She also said Mr.Varadkan was smarmy when asked to describe in one word,this was in response to a one word description he had said about her,I can't remember what it was.