Mary Lou McDonald becomes SF leader. Calls for a "New Ireland".

I'm not feeling the excitement.

Wish Ireland had a party like the FN in France.

If I could vote in French elections, I'd vote FN before any of the others.

But they're too leftwing on economics and authoritarian on social issues.
Compared to the French and other Europeans, I think the Irish are more temperamentally libertarian, particularly on social issues -- probably even more so than the Brits.

Take the German (and other European countries) laws proscribing holocaust denial.
The average German just accepts, and may even approve, of such laws.
The average Irish bloke on the street would be horrified at the very mention of such laws, even if he vehemently disagrees with, or even loathes, holocaust deniers.
The same goes for any talk of censoring social media.

And while we're capable of having a very strong sense of community, we're also very much of the "high walls make good neighbours" school of thought.

Despite its good points, I don't think a carbon copy of the FN would gain much traction in Ireland.

Sinn Féin new President Mary Lou McDonald ends her speech with “Up the Republic, up the rebels and Tiocfaidh ár lá”.

Imagine if Arlene Foster shouted 'Up the UDA, Up the UVF, No Surrender' at the end of a speech - what would SF have to say to that?:rolleyes:

Sinn Féin new President Mary Lou McDonald ends her speech with “Up the Republic, up the rebels and Tiocfaidh ár lá”.

Imagine if Arlene Foster shouted 'Up the UDA, Up the UVF, No Surrender' at the end of a speech - what would SF have to say to that?:rolleyes:
Not the same thing.
The UDA were a thinly veiled sectarian hit squad.

Not the same thing.
The UDA were a thinly veiled sectarian hit squad.

The Provos were a thinly veiled sectarian hit squad, among many other nefarious activities.

Get Mary Lou and friends to condemn them???:D

Not on your nelly - they actually praise them.:cool:

Di

Did she really say that?
Cringe.
The "rebels" who support the EU. Receive funding from Coca Cola company. Who run the North on behalf of the Brits. Who have keynote speeches written for them by Whitehall mandarins.