Marching to Zion

Clanrickard

PI Member
Was Jesus not a Jew?
Some debate about that. He was born Jewish but his talk about making a new covenant and so forth would make him non-Jewish in the eyes of religious Jews. The same way with Karl Marx. At the end of his life he would not have called himself Jewish.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Some debate about that. He was born Jewish but his talk about making a new covenant and so forth would make him non-Jewish in the eyes of religious Jews. The same way with Karl Marx. At the end of his life he would not have called himself Jewish.
Our Lord as regards His humanity was a Second Temple Jew. The term Christianity or Christian does not exist in the writings of St Paul.

Karl Marx was not a Jew- his father was a convert to Lutheranism in an area of Germany where it would have made much more worldly sense to become a Catholic and his mum was from a Lutheran background. There was nothing Jewish in his upbringing. In fact he was most definitely anti-Semitic by today's standards.

Superhans

Administrator
Donator
Premium Account
From what I know, (which is probably not much!) is that he never said he stopped being a Jew, I believe he still followed Jewish custom mixed with his own teachings and customs. If anything was he not a Jewish moderniser?

Superhans

Administrator
Donator
Premium Account
Our Lord as regards His humanity was a Second Temple Jew. The term Christianity or Christian does not exist in the writings of St Paul.

Karl Marx was not a Jew- his father was a convert to Lutheranism in an area of Germany where it would have made much more worldly sense to become a Catholic and his mum was from a Lutheran background. There was nothing Jewish in his upbringing. In fact he was most definitely anti-Semitic by today's standards.
Is Christianity not a branch of Judaism then? After all the old testament which exists in a Christian bible follows the teachings of the Jews.

I would expect the family tree of religion to look something like this,

Adam & Eve
Law of God ( Abrahamic religions )​
Judaism
Christianity
Islam

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Is Christianity not a branch of Judaism then? After all the old testament which exists in a Christian bible follows the teachings of the Jews.

I would expect the family tree of religion to look something like this,

Adam & Eve

Law of God ( Abrahamic religions )

Judaism

Christianity

Islam
Both Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity came out of the womb of Second Temple Judaism. Things which were kept and developed by the Church from Second Temple Judaism were forgotten by the Rabbis and visa versa. Which you see as the legitimate successor to the Old Testament Church/Second Temple Judaism is ultimately I think a Faith decision. Both Christianity and Rabbinic Judaism spent their formative years in bitter conflict with each other- I think you can use the expression sibling Religions but not branches of the same Religion.

Islam most likely began as a Messianic movement within Judaism but it soon took on a life of it's own.

Top Bottom