• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Lets list the experiences/pleasures forever lost as we have already trashed Everything

Gradually , over time, the list will get longer.

I guess the days of simple pleasures like 'cod & chips' from the chipper will soon be leaving us ? to be replaced by some kind of bottom feeder fish and maybe eventually jellyfish & chips.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is not to speculate on future deprivations. But moreover to grieve the loss of past greatness as humans continue to wreck the place and breed like the planet has infinite resources. Feel free to include pleasures totally unrelated to the Environment....but equally lost to us now.

For openers :

- the simple pleasure of a traditional cork in a wine bottle. Becoming a rarety as stocks dwindle.

- the pleasure of good tapwater, odour free and with an absence of mistrust and paranoia from the drinker

- the pleasure of hearing a very distinct accent-shift when you cross a county border in Ireland...not totally gone, but fading fast.

- the pleasure of random workmen cracking jokes without the fear of getting sued or recorded.

- the pleasure of a group of friends sitting about in a pub/coffee shop and nobody looking at a bloody mobile phone.

what others ?

Last edited:

DS86DS

Donator
PI Member
Premium
For the majority of newly arrived renters and homeowners on the scene, the experience of a fireplace and a warm, glowing and crackling fire at the centre of it - in large part thanks to recent EU and Government regulations based off of climate change hysteria. As a result, most modern sitting rooms feel cold, barren, soulless and boxy. A home isn't a true home in my opinion, when you have neither a fireplace nor the opportunity to light a fire within it.

An Fiach Ban

Donator
PI Member
Our musical ability, which was always unique, is gone, like the days when hanging around any estate in Dublin would always bring some musical notes floating on the breeze, a neighbour's child practicing piano though an open window, a tin whistle heard faintly when you knocked on a friend's door, a daily preformance of the bagpipes in someones back garden, and in summer the notes of a saxophone that seemed to hang in the air all day.
Nowadays no one wants to actually learn music, they would rather be a DJ, playing other people's music in their own style, or be an urban youth reciting what we are told all music was always going to lead to - Rap.

Rose

PI Member
The days when collective paranoias weren't imposed on us by narcissistic platforms. When people did not live in fear and people lived by their trade. Now the majority of the world's jobs can be lost due to a mysterious virus. As the world argues how justifiable is the global lockdown most people become permanently unemployed. UK unemployment soars by 69% in April as lockdown hits labour market

Willow

PI Member
People were nicer to each other in my youth. 80s and 90s. Smoking a lovely cigarette - God how I miss that.
Getting on a plane in the 80's and buying special outfits to look decent as it was a rare event.
The sheer freedom of movement - I once hopped on a ferry, then a train and anther train, and ended up in Rome.
No one bothered me at all (I'm female) .
In general, the freedom of expression amd movement Western society allowed me as a girl. My daughters now can no longer enjoy the liberty I enjoyrd. Heartbreaking, tbf.

Rose

PI Member
People were nicer to each other in my youth. 80s and 90s. Smoking a lovely cigarette - God how I miss that.
Getting on a plane in the 80's and buying special outfits to look decent as it was a rare event.
The sheer freedom of movement - I once hopped on a ferry, then a train and anther train, and ended up in Rome.
No one bothered me at all (I'm female) .
In general, the freedom of expression amd movement Western society allowed me as a girl. My daughters now can no longer enjoy the liberty I enjoyrd. Heartbreaking, tbf.
You're super cool.

OP
F
The pleasure of a young bride & groom both losing their virginity on their wedding night. And maybe having a kid 9 months later. And this being the norm across all of society.

Today's brides & grooms are ancient, jaded and have seen it all before. They are probably so drunk on their wedding night that they only barely manage to grunt goodnight at each other. They can compare the bedroom experience with their new spouse against a database of previous conquests. Their relationship may already be tired and jaded and only holding out to get married. Hopefully both have tested clear for STD's.

In your open-plan office, everybody over the age of 45 is divorced.

we are living in Sodom & Gomorrah.

Last edited:

gerhard dengler

PI Member
Premium
The smoking ban destroyed pubs and their atmosphere across Ireland.
The ban was brought in ostensibly to protect the health of those working in hospitality establishments.
But you're right the ban was the death knell for many pubs, and wiped out employment of those working in those establishments.

Top Bottom