Leonardo's Adoration of the Magi

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I fully agree.
Excellent highly skilled draughtsman.
But high grade artist producing great art?
Not in my expert opinion.

Since Leonardo died a bit before I was born he never met me so I can not present a view on his personality.
The rumours that he was a homosexual have never gone away.
The smirky awkward effeminacy in nearly all his artwork is a gigantic defect.

But is an artist not supposed to reflect the times - hold the mirror up to nature. That "smirky awkward effeminacy" is the hallmark of the modern era.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
But is an artist not supposed to reflect the times - hold the mirror up to nature. That "smirky awkward effeminacy" is the hallmark of the modern era.
If you argue that Da Vinci reflects the low artistic standards of an era where sodomy is promoted as being ok then yes.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
I do think he reflects the modern era very well.
Take a look at this Leonardo work.
St John the Baptist was a virile man wearing loinclothes and eating locusts living wild in the desert.
He preached fire and fell out with Herod who beheaded him.

Do you really think the simpering effeminate idiot represented in this da Vinci drawing represents anything other than a homoerotic corruption of virility?

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Take a look at this Leonardo work.
St John the Baptist was a virile man wearing loinclothes and eating locusts living wild in the desert.
He preached fire and fell out with Herod who beheaded him.

Do you really think the simpering effeminate idiot represented in this da Vinci drawing represents anything other than a homoerotic corruption of virility?

Absolutely not. That painting is of a male prostitute. No doubt, one of Leonardo's catamites. However, that painting does reflect very well the degeneracy and effeminacy of the modern world - of the Capitalist world in particular.

Ted

PI Member
Art is very subjective.
Sometimes what we see tells us something about ourselves.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Absolutely not. That painting is of a male prostitute. No doubt, one of Leonardo's catamites. However, that painting does reflect very well the degeneracy and effeminacy of the modern world - of the Capitalist world in particular.
But why would a talented famous draughtsman like Leonardo portray a major catholic saint in that way?
Answer: Leonardo was a degenerate.
Conclusion: degenerates though talented rarely produce great art. Da Vinci is a prime example of this truism.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
But why would a talented famous draughtsman like Leonardo portray a major catholic saint in that way?
Answer: Leonardo was a degenerate.
Conclusion: degenerates though talented rarely produce great art. Da Vinci is a prime example of this truism.

I certainly think it was ludicrous to paint John the Baptist as a simpering male prostitute. But then, homosexuals do have a tendency to reduce everything to their own private pathology.

Top Bottom