Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Leadership contest in Labour?

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
wrap it up and go home.

Macushla

Staff member
PI Member
The only two options they could have which would maybe blow a bit of life into it are either Aodhan O'Riordan or Ged Nash. But they both lost their Dáil seats and were kicked upstairs to the Seanad. O'Riordan is an insufferable asshole and I pray his political career is over, or continues to just languish in the Senate. The fact he's in such a nationally detested political party is at least a positive that he won't crawl back into the Dáil. He was in a shoot off with Finian McGrath in Dublin Bay North last election. It's very possible he could slide back into the seat again, but I sincerely hope he won't. I know I'd vote for Paul Clarke if I lived in that constituency!

As for Ged! Nash, he's less awful than O'Riordan. He supposedly has 'charisma', but if your charisma can't be that great when you lose out on your Dáil seat to the human plank of plywood and former GAA captain Peter FitzPatrick in Louth than it's not worth much. Eggman Nash wouldn't have the absolute worst, but I don't want him sneaking back into the Dáil either. I'd probably vote for FitzPatrick if I lived in Louth though as he was quite bravely one of the only Fine Gael TDs who from an early day stood up against abortion and was proud to be pro-life. Although it seems like both the national and local Fine Gael want to kick Fitzpatrick out the door and replace him with John McGahon who is a total West Brit liberal stooge.

Other than that Labour really doesn't have much in the way of options for viable leaders. Let's hope they continue to plummet into oblivion. Brendan Ogle (who is a massive wanker for the record) even sees the writing on the wall and wants to move Trade Union support into another or new party which isn't as damaged as Labour is.

Last edited:
OP
J

jmcc

PI Member
Kelly is Labour's only real option. He's media gold in that a lot of the stuff he says generates headlines. Howlin is juist Brendan Who? A non-entity.

OP
J

jmcc

PI Member
The only two options they could have which would maybe blow a bit of life into it are either Aodhan O'Riordan or Ged Nash.
Both absolutely toxic. Their kind of PC crap may go down well in D4 but it doesn't work beyond that. Labour, under these muppets, has basically abandoned what was its historical core support to SF.

Other than that Labour really doesn't have much in the way of options for viable leaders. Let's hope they continue to plummet into oblivion. Brendan Ogle (who is a massive wanker for the record) even sees the writing on the wall and wants to move Trade Union support into another or new party which isn't as damaged as Labour is.
The problem for Labour is that SF is moving into the trade union business. The appointment of Union Jack O'Connor as a Labour candidate for Wicklow was quite comical in this respect. Labour's current front bench is very much like the old Politburo of the Soviet Union. Some of them, (Penrose?), will not contest the next GE. But the problem is that Labour took such a kicking in the last GE and the 2014 LEs that there's very little new blood there to replace the seven TDs.

Superhans

Staff member
Administrator
Donator
Do they have enough TD`s to ballot for a leadership contest?

I guess they could give it back to Joan again.

Gin Soaked

PI Member
Putting Howlin in as leader was basically a surrender. Like the SD's, they need a big generational change. Their base has retired or now votes FG as we are now just as liberal.

OP
J

jmcc

PI Member
Do they have enough TD`s to ballot for a leadership contest?

I guess they could give it back to Joan again.
I think that this time they will want to let the membership decide rather than just the parliamentary party (Dail/Seanad).

Burton was a complete disaster. If she was still leader, Labour would be in negative vote territory. :)

OP
J

jmcc

PI Member
Putting Howlin in as leader was basically a surrender. Like the SD's, they need a big generational change. Their base has retired or now votes FG as we are now just as liberal.
There's also another major problem for Labour. It had depended on transfers and on a kind of FF leaning floating vote. With the change from a 2.5 party model a few years ago to a 3 and a lot model, a lot of that floating vote disappeared. The FF orientated segment has drifted back to FF and some of it to FG. None of it has drifted to Labour. And the most terrifying thing for Labour is that some of the floating vote has drifted to SF. This means that Labour, as a party, is effectively consigned to the "Others" section of polls. It is no longer a national party where people vote according to party policy. It is now completely dependent on the personal votes of candidates. And when these candidates retire, that personal vote disappears.

Cathal Ó'Chontúirt

DEPORTED
PI Member
Labour councillors are becoming more and more vocal.

Fourth Labour Party councillor calls for Brendan Howlin to step down as leader - Independent.ie

“We have consistently polled well below our General Election result. Regrettably Brendan has not been able to reverse this negative trend and it is my belief that only a change of leadership and a fresh approach can unite the Party and achieve the momentum we need to move forward,” Ms Kearns said.
How long can Brendan survive the onslaught?

Top Bottom