Justin Barrett launches the Abortion Never campaign with a truly outstanding speech

Threads
You defend innocent life to the hilt but capital punishment is for those heinous crimes. It's a category error to conflate them. I'm agnostic on capital punishment personally (I prefer chain gangs) but there's a clear line delineating the two.

Barrett is on point. You could win every duhbate on the telly and on "Marion" but the establishment largesse may win out in the end because civility misleads people into thinking all this is a routine matter and the natural instinct of people is to defer to authority. If Barrett can chase a big demographic the centrist groups don't even recognise and stress the point that this is heinous stuff, then it might just be the thing that clinches this. So let him chase that demographic whilst the centrist groups nurse the centre.

And Barrett is right to boast about winning campaigns, He comes from a milieu of the best campaigners in the country with a record of overturning big regime diktats. He knows what he's talking about in that respect and moreover he knows that all this isn't some honest duhbate but an effort by the regime to force this through.

And I like a man who bursts with confidence and who is sure of himself. We're far too meek and deferential in this country.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
all u say is fine and i agree coz i didnt do a hatchet job nor wud i on a decent man, but hes not the only decent man in the country - i still stand by my critique, which to be fair, was just stating the obvious - get off ur high horse on this one justin. i think its fair to say he would be very difficult to deal with and needs a party/campaign all for himself.

D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
folks, hes not the only one making the points hes making, far from it, hes just portraying himself as more anti abortion than the rest of us and saying things he reckons no-one else is saying when we/they are. as i said - its all about him, and there is nothing wrong with that either, but surely hes open to critique the way he critiques everyone else.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
folks, hes not the only one making the points hes making, far from it, hes just portraying himself as more anti abortion than the rest of us and saying things he reckons no-one else is saying when we/they are. as i said - its all about him, and there is nothing wrong with that either, but surely hes open to critique the way he critiques everyone else.

He's speaking to his troops before the deciding battle. They know as well as he does that they don't have the money or even the numbers to fight this, but Barrett is saying to them - Have faith! We do have something even better than money - we have done this before and we have won before - and we didn't have much money then either. I am a leader who will lead from the front and brook no thought of retreat. No quarter will be given in this fight - and none will be asked.

Threads
I encourage you to criticise him. You need to say what's in your heart. Always do that.

It's a long video - so I may not have digested everything and maybe I've misread him in some respects. But his criticisms are salient insofar as I can read them. Pro-lifers tend to make arguments within the establishment framing. i.e abortion targets minorities --girls, downs syndrome people..etc. Highlighting how minorities can be targeted is a point well made and is a useful, truthful intervention. But if that dominates this discourse then the unintended consequence of this is that abortion is only "evil" because it discriminates and therefore abortion is someway permissible for healthy children as long as it is done in an indiscriminate fashion! By playing within the minority parlour games of the establishment, pro-lifers inadvertently downplay the reprehensible character of abortion and that, in a mediated way, is to concede too much ground to the establishment. And we see this as the conservative groups have just sat in a dazed stupor as the abortion squad have been workerbees, diligently spreading their tentacles throughout the institutions to a stage where we are staring into the abortion-on-demand abyss. We need to reflect as to why haven't pro-life forces been setting the pace.

Barrett's point I gather is that he's going to remedy that weakness by declaring the regime the enemy with zero interest in duhbate. He's going to stress to people that killing a baby is reprehensible full stop. And he's going to tap into an otherwise unsighted demographic that are indifferent to arguments that abortion is "discriminatory" by stressing its obscene, primal character and highlighting the tyrannical character of the regime. I think that's a gap that needs to be filled and Barrett is the greyhound that can chase this and if he's brimming with confidence so much the better. That he's impatient with other pro-life groups and raring to go -- that's actually a good sign.

Macushla

PI Member
Threads
im not trying to be a dick, but here u go - very wrapped up in himself, loves the sound of his own voice, nobody is doing the campaign the way it shud be done (except him), very loud speaking voice, actually screaming at times. he also reckons one life is too many, but hes up for hanging. as for the 'Abortion Never' slogan, did ian paisley come up with that? personally, i think its the crappest slogan any pro life group cud hav come up with. this lad is VERY egotistical, and for once in his life, for the most important vote our generation will ever cast, he should be willing to be a bit more humble, rub shoulders with other pro life people, and stop comparing himself to michael collins. also, no-one ive met in pro life reckons we're gonna lose, are a bit worried yes, but not defeatist like he claims. he actually said he won two referendums, ud swear he won them on his own. getting fed up listening to him and im not even haf way through. there isnt unity on all pro life sides as he claims, but for this one they are being more united for fucking obvious reasons. just heard - "iam the only person in the world who won" - Jesus hes getting worse. as i said its all about him and his party. he does make points, he is right about euthanasia, fair play i give him that. the points hes making about debate are only valid if we lived in a country that didnt have a warped msm (there are none!) so we cant have things the way we want them on the telly. sorry, but there u go. i wish him luck though, and he gave a good ending, but hes too into promoting his party on this mega important vote. and im not one on trying to appeal to middle voters, ive a bit of fire in me, but this lad is too infernal.
The criticism that a political leader loves the sound of their own voice and is evidently passionate is kind of redundant to me. Would you rather a feeble milk-livered political leader who reads from the sheet and then shuts up until he's asked to speak again? For this brand of radical politics that's not permissible. You can be an establishment back bencher and do that but not a radical opponent of the regime. You definitely need fire in the belly.

As for the criticism of speaking as if other campaigns are being run wrong and how he can do it better - well isn't this basically just a prerequisite of starting your own campaign. To open a new front. If he thought it was all going swimmingly why would he invest his time and money in a new campaign? He's obviously passionate about fighting abortion. And if he wants to get people on his side he needs to set out why he thinks he can win - and drawing on his history of successfully defeating the regime approved referendums is an obvious point to make. You can't be humble when you're trying to get people to believe you will win with you. He has to be critical of the other campaigns if he wants people to join his instead of theirs and to ACTUALLY WIN. Winning is the goal. Obviously he believes we won't win if it's going to be a soppy Catholic campaign or a Down syndrome referendum.

Supporting the death penalty isn't inconsistent with being anti abortion. The killing of the innocent is wrong. Physically removing those who have violated their rights to live in society though criminality is just clear cut justice. Slaughtering an unborn child in the womb is not justice. Also the Michael Collins joke was obviously self-deprecating humour - or well that's surely how I picked it up. He was sniggering while making the obviously tongue in cheek comparison (or lack therefore) to a teenage Barrett putting up posters on his bicycle to Michael Collins the great IRA leader.

I don't think your criticisms are particularly fair. Mostly just you don't enjoy his style or his avowedly radical anti-abortionism. And that's fair enough. It's not for everyone. Those who are happy with the established anti abortion camps should remain in them. Those who aren't shouldn't. But we're all in this together, criticism and aide is fair game but there's no need for gratuitous debasement for the sake of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1918

Non Registered Member
The criticism that a political leader loves the sound of their own voice and is evidently passionate is kind of redundant to me. Would you rather a feeble milk-livered political leader who reads from the sheet and then shuts up until he's asked to speak again? For this brand of radical politics that's not permissible. You can be an establishment back bencher and do that but not a radical opponent of the regime. You definitely need fire in the belly.

As for the criticism of speaking as if other campaigns are being run wrong and how he can do it better - well isn't this basically just a prerequisite of starting your own campaign. To open a new front. If he thought it was all going swimmingly why would he invest his time and money in a new campaign? He's obviously passionate about fighting abortion. And if he wants to get people on his side he needs to set out why he thinks he can win - and drawing on his history of successfully defeating the regime approved referendums is an obvious point to make. You can't be humble when you're trying to get people to believe you will win with you. He has to be critical of the other campaigns if he wants people to join his instead of theirs and to ACTUALLY WIN. Winning is the goal. Obviously he believes we won't win if it's going to be a soppy Catholic campaign or a Down syndrome referendum.

Supporting the death penalty isn't inconsistent with being anti abortion. The killing of the innocent is wrong. Physically removing those who have violated their rights to live in society though criminality is just clear cut justice. Slaughtering an unborn child in the womb is not justice. Also the Michael Collins joke was obviously self-deprecating humour - or well that's surely how I picked it up. He was sniggering while making the obviously tongue in cheek comparison (or lack therefore) to a teenage Barrett putting up posters on his bicycle to Michael Collins the great IRA leader.

I don't think your criticisms are particularly fair. Mostly just you don't enjoy his style or his avowedly radical anti-abortionism. And that's fair enough. It's not for everyone. Those who are happy with the established anti abortion camps should remain in them. Those who aren't shouldn't. But we're all in this together, criticism and aide is fair game but there's no need for gratuitous criticism for the sake of it.
this is the most important vote any irish person will ever make and hes made it all about himself. the one time he needed to be les egotistical he became more egotistical. as for the death penalty - they will remain nonentities having this as one of their principles. as for soppy catholic/down syndrome - the first person i heard speaking at pro-life meeting in galway last year was a guy who shared the same name as the wicklow chief - and just as tuff! as i said - this is all about barret hyping himself up and trying to make others ON SAME SIDE look less tuff than him.

Top Bottom