• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

John Leahy resigns as leader, is this the end of Renua?

The Doc

PI Member

'I haven’t made an impression in three years' - John Leahy stepping down as Renua leader
  • Renua received €735,000 in taxpayer funding – but now doesn’t have a single elected representative

OFFALY councillor John Leahy is to step down as leader of Renua Ireland, Independent.ie can reveal.
The politician was the party’s only candidate to win a seat in last months local elections.
“The background is that I was a manger over a team that prepared 3 years to for an election and we got nobody elected.
“Do I spent another two or three years at? I haven’t made an impression in three years. Maybe the message I have is not the change that people want,” Mr Leahy said.
He informed a meeting of the party’s executive last night that he intends to return to the independent ranks of Offaly County Council. He has already struck a deal to support Fianna Fáil in his local authority and will be Lea Cathaoirleach for the next 12 months.

The party was founded in 2015 by ex- minister Lucinda Creighton after she left Fine Gael as a result of the party’s stance on abortion.
They failed to get any TDs elected to the Dáil in 2016 – but did secure 2pc of the vote which entitled the party to State funding.
Since then Renua has received more than €735,000 in taxpayer money. It now has no elected represented and it is not clear how a new leader will be selected.
Mr Leahy was the only one of Renua’s 27 candidates to win a seat in the local elections.
He topped the poll in the Birr Municipal District with more than 2,000 first preference votes.
Renua took a particular hardline on crime and was against the repeal of the Eighth Amendment.

Mr Leahy said he doesn’t believe the policies were wrong but said it was very difficult to articulate them on a national level.
“I would say people understand Renua in Offaly because I’m in the chamber and covered in the local newspaper. But we needed that at national level. We would have made more strides,” he said.

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
Sounds very much like the end of Renua, hopefully their members and support gravitate now towards the NP. Same for Irexit too. Consolidation of skills, talents and energy is much needed.

Save me Jeebus

Donator
PI Member
Sounds very much like the end of Renua, hopefully their members and support gravitate now towards the NP. Same for Irexit too. Consolidation of skills, talents and energy is much needed.
Renua have funding up until the next election... plus they are registered. Maybe the consolidation should happen in.the direction of 'renewing Renua '

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
All these guys did was what the other lot did - clips of themselves wandering around and engaging in hand motions with a pedestrian piano piece as the backdrop that'd put you into trance. That was the zenith of their get-up-and-go.

Noone took a blind bit of notice of course.

You need to electrocute people to get people to pull their heads out of the mainstream parties backsides. The same old, the same old, isn't going to cut it.

These guys are scrutnising their manifesto, lol.

Looking in the wrong place, just sums these guys up.

A registered party is a valuable property, I expect some sort of presence at the next election. If it was up to O'Dowd, though. it'd be a pull away from "the right" and into disabled identity politics. It doesn't occur to him that his grandpa way of campaigning would put anyone to sleep.

FightingForTheBull

PI Member
All these guys did was what the other lot did - clips of themselves wandering around and engaging in hand motions with a pedestrian piano piece as the backdrop that'd put you into trance. That was the zenith of their get-up-and-go.

You need to electrocute people to get people to pull their heads out of the mainstream parties backsides. The same old, the same old, isn't going to cut it.

A registered party is a valuable property, I expect some sort of presence at the next election. If it was up to O'Dowd, though. it'd be a pull away from "the right" and into disabled identity politics. It doesn't occur to him that his grandpa way of campaigning would put anyone to sleep.

I'm actually utterly shocked now just how bad O'Dowd's European Election video was considering just how much wonga they had to play with. I assumed they had to chip in themselves to stand.

FightingForTheBull

PI Member

Seems that way alright. Does he not see that there is a glaring reason why those stats are as they are?

Ted

PI Member
To succeed as a new party you have to get under the skin of the Establishment, instead of allowing the Establishment set the agenda.
Find what truly irks people and express it. You'll discover it's not what you're being told it is.
Renua are far too nice. Nice won't cut it.

OP
The Doc

The Doc

PI Member
So by the looks of it there's nobody left in Renua.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
Interesting that O'Connell is leaving. She's a relative centrist.

There's murmurings that some of those are off to a regrouped Freedom Party. When Tracey was asked about that she produced a winking emoji in response (I feel like Variety magazine reporting duh goss here).

Top Bottom