• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Jim Dowson's 'Síol na hÉireann' scheme exposed by The Burkean

• Thread starter Deleted member 1350
  • Start date
  • Replies 141
  • Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriugena

PI Member
It shows he knows little or nothing about the history of Christianity if he thinks its been in Ireland for 2000 years.
Sure, but to be fair, and I think this is a generational thing, but people his age are all ignorant of the faith to a greater or lesser extent. Not their fault but the fault of those entrusted with their formation. But, and it is a big but, that error of his is too glaring to let pass easily.

IrishJohn

PI Member
Sure, but to be fair, and I think this is a generational thing, but people his age are all ignorant of the faith to a greater or lesser extent. Not their fault but the fault of those entrusted with their formation. But, and it is a big but, that error of his is too glaring to let pass easily.
When his show started he wasn't even Christian.

Eriugena

PI Member
Also assuming a limited company, will its books be open for public scrutiny when accounts are filed?
I think that kind of thing is available from the CRO for a fee.
I do not know enough about Dowson (other than what he says himself) to consider what has driven him to cross the Rubicon and get involved with an Irish Catholic Nationalist party if indeed he is involved.

He certainly talks a good game and many of his points were well made and made sense. On the lighter side, I thought it quite amusing though Dowson as a man who had the 'Good Book' in front of him and the doctrinal differences between Presbyterians and Catholics on the Blessed Virgin Mary, to hear him enthusiastically praising Siol na hEireann's very traditional Catholic but clearly impressive and colourful Glendalough procession in honour of her birthday.

McConnell clearly has a lot of energy and he has been to the forefront in openly challenging the establishment consensus but his promoting of e.g. ties and scarves for members only and other merchandise does grate on the nerves as it smacks of a merchandising operation rather a political party, imo. But that is just my opinion.

I think that the strong traditional Catholic tone being adopted by McConnell and his group may appeal to some.

Definitely interesting and one to watch, hopefully in a good way. Let's see how things pan out as things become clearer.
Yes, it is amusing but it also gives me pause for thought. On the one hand, perhaps Dowson is drifting towards Catholicism, why not? This kind of thing happens all the time, conversion. On the other hand, it could reveal that he does not take his professed Calvinism too seriously. This is in itself not cause for concern, but what would be is if Dowson is someone who believes that religion is useful for society. A view held by most public figures who profess religion in situations where the constituency or audience are people who do take religion seriously. They use religion, they don't live by it.

Last edited:

DrPat2

PI Member
I think that kind of thing is available from the CRO for a fee.
Yes, it is amusing but it also gives me pause for thought. On the one hand, perhaps Dowson is drifting towards Catholicism, why not? This kind of thing happens all the time, conversion. On the other hand, it could reveal that he does not take his professed Calvinism too seriously. This is in itself not cause for concern, but what would be is if Dowson is someone who believes that religion is useful for society. A view held by most public figures who profess religion in situations where the constituency or audience are people who do take religion seriously. They use religion, they don't live by it.
Did try a quick search under the name Síol na hÉireann but it came up blank. First to admit though that I am not expert in such things. Maybe someone else more adept could try and see if they have a better result.

Eriugena

PI Member
Did try a quick search under the name Síol na hÉireann but it came up blank. First to admit though that I am not expert in such things.
I know what happened. Enter it as Siol Na H'Eireann (been there, done that, t-shirt, etc)

Eriugena

PI Member
I actually don't understand how anyone can think the lad is genuine.
McConnell? Until recently I was half aware of McConnell but thought him to be more embarrassing than anything else. Recent revelations put a whole new spin on things.

RealMcCoy

PI Member
He reminds me of powercity back in the day. This tie can be yours for the low low price of 9.99.99.99. He'd be a great addition to the shopping channel in fairness. Just in case the whole revolutionary Catholic thing doesn't work out

Eriugena

PI Member
It's not exactly hidden. For some bizarre reason, Niall's money laudnering Alliance for Peace and Freedom group is quietly hussed up. Even though it's Freemason's like Nick Griffin are litterally running the group.
It's all new if you only heard about it last week. I don't follow the doings of the Irish 'radical right', insofar as one can even speak of such a thing.

RealMcCoy

PI Member
It's all new if you only heard about it last week. I don't follow the doings of the Irish 'radical right', insofar as one can even speak of such a thing.
Lol, McConnell shouting through a bullhorn at an empty office.

GOOD MAN YOURSELF! THAT'LL SHOW 'EM! WELL DONE!

Sometimes I despair for my fellow countrymen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom