Is this the future of Western Political discourse?

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
I'd call a serious discussion one that takes all relevant factors into account. Homelessness is a very serious issue. It has often been discussed in the free state media. But, it has never been discussed seriously, as the discussions never mention the property and class relations that create homelessness, and they have never discussed the effect that flooding Ireland with a million migrants in less than fifteen years has had on homelessness. In short, media discussions of homelessness in Ireland are a cartoon parody.
This is true but she was speaking about the places people start from before they start addressing individual issues. Jordan Peterson types don't care about homelessness at all if we are to be frank nor mass immigration.

The Effects of the Mongol Empire on Russia

As the evidence stands, the effects of the Mongol invasion were many, spread across the political, social, and religious facets of Russia. While some of those effects, such as the growth of the Orthodox Church generally had a relatively positive effect on the lands of the Rus, other results, such as the loss of the veche system and centralization of power assisted in halting the spread of traditional democracy and self-government for the various principalities. From the influences on the language and the form of government, the very impacts of the Mongol invasion are still evident today. Perhaps given the chance to experience the Renaissance, as did other western European cultures, the political, religious, and social thought of Russia would greatly differ from that of the reality of today. The Russians, through the control of the Mongols who had adopted many ideas of government and economics from the Chinese, became perhaps a more Asiatic nation in terms of government, while the deep Christian roots of the Russians established and helped maintain a link with Europe. It was the Mongol invasion which, perhaps more than any other historical event, helped to determine the course of development that Russian culture, political geography, history, and national identity would take.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
The thing about Renaissance is that it was cut nearly dead by the Lutheran Reformation which was, and Nietzsche was right about this while Ultra-Montane Catholic apologists are wrong, a reaction against the Renaissance. The Lutheran Reformation also giving birth to the Counter-Reformation. In many ways the Renaissance was a still birth, however much both Protestant and Catholic orthodoxies that emerged incorporated elements of it- this is something also that Nietzsche saw. The Whig theory of history that all societies are naturally evolving to 19 th Century England and if they aren't than something has gone wrong is not something that I accept. I don't consider Russia as part of our Civilization but that doesn't cause me to hate it or see it as inferior even- and no I'm not a Cultural Relativist, some Civilizations are inferior to others.

Tom

EirĂș Sean Gael
I have befriended a Russian girl who is studying here and who is incredibly critical of the West. A lot of her criticisms are valid but many are not, however in terms of the contemporary Western world we find ourselves she is nearly always correct even if she goes too far sometimes. In a conversation today she said that serious Western political discourse is now "Social Justice Warrior" types versus Jordan Peterson types versus Alt Right types- and this is likely to become more and not less entrenched. I find this nightmarish but at the same time rational. What do others think?
I agree with her, any serious discussion on national media is generally below par and standard for sixth year student. Last Sunday morning I think while driving, a talking head was Trump bashing, and then he said "his personal personality" as if he didn't realise the possessive part was already contained in the noun.

The thing about Renaissance is that it was cut nearly dead by the Lutheran Reformation which was, and Nietzsche was right about this while Ultra-Montane Catholic apologists are wrong, a reaction against the Renaissance. The Lutheran Reformation also giving birth to the Counter-Reformation. In many ways the Renaissance was a still birth, however much both Protestant and Catholic orthodoxies that emerged incorporated elements of it- this is something also that Nietzsche saw. The Whig theory of history that all societies are naturally evolving to 19 th Century England and if they aren't than something has gone wrong is not something that I accept. I don't consider Russia as part of our Civilization but that doesn't cause me to hate it or see it as inferior even- and no I'm not a Cultural Relativist, some Civilizations are inferior to others.
I'm not a fan of the Whig take on history. I've railed against it before.

If I had to extrapolate a historical narrative of mankind, it would be one of centralisation v decentralisation.
The former tends to be totalitarian and fragile, the latter free and dynamic.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
maybe she needs to go offline for a while and meditate and laugh.
She doesn't go online much at all, she is picking this up from people she is studying with. She is very prayerful- she does though have a Russian attitude about the importance of seriousness, so well joking about isn't her thing. She doesn't though left people studying with her know how she feels or thinks- she lets my husband and I and our friends know, but that is because we invited it. This is as thing about people who say they love diversity, very often they base this on superficial interactions as opposed to really dealing with core stuff and often core stuff is what matters when things "come to the crunch".