Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Is ireland owned by the booze companies ?

Karloff

PI Member
Most non drinkers are most likely alcoholics themselves.
All or nothing.
I know one lad who lost his quite menial job because of his actions drinking on the job.
He claims he doesn't touch the stuff now, but the reason for that is that one sniff and it'll set him off down the same road again.

Or they grew up with alcoholics in the familly and saw firsthand what can happen.

Or they just don't like the nausea, hangover or loss of control (that feeling the next day when you remember doing something or saying something you wouldn't normally and feel embarrassed). I am not a Puritan - i infrequently use ahem certain other substances.

PO'Neill

PI Member
One of the best decisions I ever made was to stop drinking. I wasn't ever an alcoholic but was drinking every Friday & Saturday for over 15 years. Started doing meditation and the desire for drink waned to the point I now don't have any desire to touch a drink again. The change in my life has been massive. It wasn't until I stopped drinking that I noticed how destructive drink is, physically and mentally. I feel so much fresher now, higher vitality, not falling into depressive moods, no more hangover-recovery cycles, thinking clearly, better focus. I know drinking and the pub has long been a part of Irish culture but I believe now we should phase this out.

You made the right decision.
There is something really tragic about the life of somebody who is a slave to the pub over the weekend.
The problem for drinkers is they end up stuck in a social circle that revolves around the pub.
They waste their weekends either in the pub or dying in bed.
Meanwhile the non-drinkers are enjoying themselves and living a living a healthy life. Plus saving lots of money.

OP
F
follow the link below. Ireland is the number 21 most heavy drinker in the world, per Capita. One of the worst in Western Europe. The countries above us on the list are some of the biggest kips and dives known to tourism.

As a goal, i would espouse our country moves towards moderation. And aim to get to Italian levels of consumption. Approximately half of our current level.....which is currently like a Natural Disaster. Modern Ireland is like a cross between 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Invasion of the body Snatchers' with Father Jack and George Best cheering from the Gallery.

Last edited:

Wolf

PI Member
Or they grew up with alcoholics in the familly and saw firsthand what can happen.

Or they just don't like the nausea, hangover or loss of control (that feeling the next day when you remember doing something or saying something you wouldn't normally and feel embarrassed). I am not a Puritan - i infrequently use ahem certain other substances.
True enough.
As I post from my balcony in Nice...sipping from a nice glass of white....
No other substances though..😁

Wolf

PI Member
follow the link below. Ireland is the number 21 most heavy drinker in the world, per Capita. One of the worst in Western Europe.

As a goal, i would espouse our country moves towards moderation. And aim to get to Italian levels of consumption. Approximately half of our current level.....which is a current natural disaster.

The Irish economy would collapse if Paddy stopped drinking...😁

OP
F
Right, 15th of December.......its the starting gun to 3 weeks of drunken madness.

See you down at the Accident & Emergency department !

sighthound

PI Member
Corona Covid-19 Couch bump.

Is the whole nation sitting at home in a stupor ?
Yes they probably are and worse still the women are zombied on wine as they have to see their kids 24 / 7 & engage with them and talk to them and look at the results of low paid creche workers raising them.......wake up call Covid 19. The family is having a reality check during this lock down and its ugly !!! people need to look at the importance of family now and change thsir selfish consumerist ways and sacrifice for decency and family life.

ShumanTheHuman

PI Member
Yes they probably are and worse still the women are zombied on wine as they have to see their kids 24 / 7 & engage with them and talk to them and look at the results of low paid creche workers raising them.......wake up call Covid 19. The family is having a reality check during this lock down and its ugly !!! people need to look at the importance of family now and change thsir selfish consumerist ways and sacrifice for decency and family life.

We have a couple of WhatsApp groups for the kids classes. A lot of "joke" posts, mostly from the mothers, about Wine O'clock etc every day it seems.
A checkout girl in Dunnes told me the other day the booze is flying out of the shop like never before

PO'Neill

PI Member
The Irish were not heavy drinkers in the 1800s.

We were protrayed as drunks by the Brits and the Yanks. We then started to believe it and became a nation of heavy drinkers

I will come back to this with some sources later on.

Here is a newspaper cutting from 1985. Ireland and Scotland drank a lot less than the English. Yet both our nations ending up getting stereotyped as heavy drinkers by the English. :unsure:

Top Bottom