Is Google Stadia the future of gaming?

OP
D

DS86DS

Staff member
PI Member
Premium
When I started this thread I was under some weird impression that Google Stadia would be a Netflix of Gaming of sorts.

A place where you wouldn't be restricted to your owned games and could play Assassin's Creed Odyssey or Cyberpunk 2077 at the flick of a button, streamed straight to your device as a part of a your Stadia monthly subscription.

Perhaps I'm been too simplistic here and I welcome been proven wrong. But seriously Google Stadia seems like nothing more than a glorified version of Xbox Live. Hardly worth a subscription double the charge of an Xbox Live subscription. But I welcome anybody using and loving Google Stadia to prove me wrong.

p.s. Dear Nagging Women, Gaming is no less productive than watching Soap Operas so please cue the moralising.

TheIrishRight

PI Member
Stadia is a white elephant. Sony and Microsoft have big plans for gen 5 and the cloud and have brand loyalty to boot. Google are trying to diversify before the inevitable break up

Superhans

Staff member
Administrator
Donator
You still need decent Internet for these new Gen consoles, its crazy that already you need to download about 50-80GB when you but new games.

Stadia is going to rely on good internet speeds just to stream the games and have decent response times.

If its the netflix of gaming it will have lots of content made for it that no one wants to see, and what people want to see is only available for a limited time or is on another streaming site with a subscription.

The biggest difference between Google Stadia and Nvidia GeForce Now is how it handles games. Google has not outlined its full plan for Stadia, but it claims you will be able to instantly play games you see in online advertisements, including Doom Eternal and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Other games designed to make use of the service’s unique features will also be coming, and Google has founded Stadia Games and Entertainment with industry veteran Jade Raymond, as it looks to produce Stadia-exclusive titles. Certain games will also make use of a machine-learning tool called Transfer ML, which allows developers to apply a texture to environments based on an existing image, such as a painting.
Nvidia GeForce Now gives you a few different ways to play PC games through the service. Using the GeForce Now app, you can search through the list of supported games and buy them on the associated digital storefront. If you already own one of the 400-plus supported games, you can look in the “My Library” section to access the game. Though previously you could also add games that weren’t officially supported, this is no longer the case. Supported storefronts include Steam, Uplay, and Blizzard’s Battle.net. You can play both paid and free-to-play games.

Supported games for GeForce Now include Hitman 2, Resident Evil 7, Civilization VI, Skyrim, and The Division 2. You can check the full list to see if your favorite game is included.

During the beta period for GeForce Now, you can play a game for up to four hours at a time before having to start a new session. You can save your progress and immediately begin a new session, depending on how many others are trying to play.
Google Stadia, on the other hand, plans to offer features we haven’t seen on other platforms. This includes “Crowd Play,” which lets viewers of a YouTube stream jump into a game with their favorite streamers. Viewers will also be able to join a game from the exact point the streamer was in, complete with their save data. If you’re watching a YouTube advertisement for a game on a publisher’s channel, you’ll be able to instantly start playing the game with one click. Google states the process takes as little as five seconds.
Microsoft has their own version.

Apple as well
Google said it's working with a range of game developers -- including Ubisoft and ID Software -- to deliver games to Stadia. At a pre-E3 event earlier this year, Google showed off a dozen games running on Stadia, including Baldur's Gate.

Earlier at GDC, Ubisoft showed off Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and ID demoed Doom Eternal on Stadia. Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed: Odyssey has been with Google since Stadia was still known as Project Stream. If you were part of the Project Stream beta, you played it last year.

Google is also opening its own game studio but didn't offer details on games it has in the works. Stadia will have exclusive games as well as ones available elsewhere.

I think you'll have to rebuy any games for stadia when they are ported over unless uplay is in someway connected and you have games on that, but don't know, where as the Xbox i think you can play games you have installed on your user, not sure, but the Geforce one is connected to steam and others, so just play what you have already installed on pc. Seems stadia is built for youtubers and isn't looking good regards having a source of games you previously owned.

Steam are going to do their own one as well. Whole thing is a mess, don't play games, but its an interesting area regards what they will be doing.

whyfillaw

PI Member
2000 years ago it was bread and circus to appease the plebs in Imperial Rome.Have we really not moved forward in our desires and lust for "blood and entertainment."?I never had any interest in Computer Games, but going by the 18 R on these games they must be "graphic in their violence and content".The world of "The Gladiator" on a PC, it does nothing for me interestwise.Are people being "brainwashed online with these interminable games"?How sad are people that they need affirmation for their ego to go to a stadium of sados ?

jon 1000's of irish f

Donator
PI Member
2000 years ago it was bread and circus to appease the plebs in Imperial Rome.Have we really not moved forward in our desires and lust for "blood and entertainment."?I never had any interest in Computer Games, but going by the 18 R on these games they must be "graphic in their violence and content".The world of "The Gladiator" on a PC, it does nothing for me interestwise.Are people being "brainwashed online with these interminable games"?How sad are people that they need affirmation for their ego to go to a stadium of sados ?
it's not all about slaughter...

OP
D

DS86DS

Staff member
PI Member
Premium

Judging by the coherence of this sentence, your aversion to video games has provided few benefits.