Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Is Gimore sabotaging what's left of Labour?

ger12

PI Member
I am very taken aback that the man who lead the Labour Party into government in 2011 is publishing a book, his memoir[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif], Inside The Room,[/font] about his time as leader of the Labour Party and recounting his time in a coalition that has yet to end.

Spilling his beans before this government has ended is not (imo) politically correct nor honorable and will likely only damage more the party he has lead. I don't get it tbh. Why would Deputy Gilmore do such a thing? It's bizarre. 

His account of Joan Burton surely only damages her and not helps her as he claims. "[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Probably what I was disappointed at was that it was a case of being marched down the corridor and being summarily dismissed. And it was for that reason, when I was coming out of the meeting and ran into the secretary general of the government and he asked me what was the score, and I think it was a bit gallows humour that I said: ‘I have just been court-martialled and I am to be shot at dawn’.[/font] "

He claims that he almost brought down the government over the ex Garda Commissioner, he didn't seem to disturbed at the time all the same. 

http://www.thejournal.ie/eamon-gilmore-book-2420004-Nov2015/
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/eamon-gilmore-why-i-was-set-to-bring-down-coalition-after-the-shock-resignation-of-garda-commissioner-martin-callinan-34158629.html

Dan_Murphy

PI Member
Labours problems are basically the same things that affected the lib-dems in the UK. They have been rightly criticized for things that they have done, but they are not getting any credit for things they have prevented. This combined with the breathtaking arrogance of some of the Labour party is setting them up for a calamity.

Maybe the book is trying to set the record straight?

OP
ger12

ger12

PI Member
What did they prevent?

Blanco

PI Member
Certainly not helpful to Labour anyway.

And paints neither Gilmore or Burton in a good light.

If she was so disappointed with her ministerial portfolio  why did she take it?

Strange timing by Gilmore to bring all this out just months before an election , but I am sure he has his reasons, bitter ones no doubt.

Dan_Murphy

PI Member
ger12 said:
What did they prevent?
No idea; maybe nothing. I have to imagine that FG has had some fairly stupid ideas during the term that haven't seen the light of day though. :s

capitalismrots

PI Member
Gilmore certainly has an agenda, what that agenda is and is it working is a another story entirely.

edg

PI Member
Maybe he is trying to generate support to form a new party to carry on Labours ideals after they get destroyed at the next GE?

OP
ger12

ger12

PI Member
edg said:
Maybe he is trying to generate support to form a new party to carry on Labours ideals after they get destroyed at the next GE?
A new party?

Wasn't he Workers Party then Labour Party.

I can only conclude that it's bitterness. In a political party that's much more fractured than I had thought. They're really imploding.

edg

PI Member
ger12 said:
A new party?

Wasn't he Workers Party then Labour Party.

I can only conclude that it's bitterness. In a political party that's much more fractured than I had thought. They're really imploding.
More fractured than an Easter egg on Easter Sunday morning! This was one of the reasons I left the party myself years ago.

OP
ger12

ger12

PI Member
edg said:
More fractured than an Easter egg on Easter Sunday morning! This was one of the reasons I left the party myself years ago.
I pretty much expect them to come back with maybe 3 seats.

If they're that fractured a party, it's hard to see them recover in at least a decade.

Marcos the black

PI Member
ger12 said:
I pretty much expect them to come back with maybe 3 seats.

If they're that fractured a party, it's hard to see them recover in at least a decade.
What about the Greens?

OP
ger12

ger12

PI Member
Marcos the black said:
What about the Greens?
The Greens?

This is a Labour Party forum. 

Maybe take some time to figure out the site before you post?

Top Bottom