• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Video Is Easter Pagan? Pagan Astarte or the Lord Jesus Christ?

darkhorse3

PI Member
In your head
Standing up on our hind legs and mastering fire would be it for me

Easter like bonfire night (John’s night) or Halloween (all souls and all saints) and Christmas is where the Christians appropriated pagan festivals
Islam and Judaism have done the same thing
Irrelevant
They have been Christian festivals for almost 2,000 years now
So I think it's safe to say they are Christian festivals at this stage
We moved away from paganism a very long time ago

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Fraid so

That’s life(and death) I suppose
Well that’s a pity.
Whether you like it or not your body will be resurrected on the Day of Judgement.
You need to make certain choices whilst alive on earth cos after death 💀 it is no longer possible.
The grace of the Resurrected Christ is freely available to anybody who asks for it.

OP
Oliver Plunkett

Oliver Plunkett

PI Member
PI Member
Easter, as a term, is an Anglo Saxon word. it has a geographic limitation in that sense. The real term, as it relates to Christianity, is the Pasch, from the Hebrew. Morons that argue that Easter is a bastardization of a pagan feast seem not to be able to understand this idiomatic limitation

Black Azrael

PI Member
Easter, as a term, is an Anglo Saxon word. [1] it has a geographic limitation in that sense [2]. The real term, as it relates to Christianity, is the Pasch, from the Hebrew. Morons that argue that Easter is a bastardization of a pagan feast seem not to be able to understand this idiomatic limitation [4]
[1] Nice try, but no cigar. I had a go at that in post #24. Anglo-Saxons are a tribal description. Their language, from a very early stage was Ænglish, with different dialectical forms (which is why I used 'Angle' for Bede's point-of-view in my earlier post). You won't find anything specifically spelled (and presumably pronounced) 'Easter' before Caxton in the late 15th century — but which time we are way past Early English, and even Middle English is becoming recognisably 'early modern English'.
[2] I cannot see how geography limits the use of the word.
[3] Again something I tried to touch on in post #24. Passover/Pesach is the Feast of Unleavened Bread. This year it began at sundown on Friday 19th April, Erev Pesach, the fifteenth day of the Jewish month of Nisan. Next year it will start on Wednesday 8th April. Note the discontinuity with christian Passion Week.
[4] Swiftly ignoring the anti-ecumenical prejudice there.

The essential confusion comes from early christian Hellenophones, who somehow correlated Aramaic pascha (itself corrupted from Hebrew pesach) to πάσχεῖν ('to suffer').

The christian festival of Easter didn't become general practice until — after the Council of Nicea (AD 325) — the Emperor Constantine issued a diktat for uniformity, and specifically condemned reliance on the Jewish dating of Pesach. What Constantine failed to do was determine precisely how Easter should be calculated. A further complication is the continuing Eastern Orthodox use of the Julian calendar —which presently differs from the Gregorian by thirteen days. Where western and eastern traditions agree is that Easter Day is the first Sunday after the first full moon following the Spring equinox, but always after Passover. So, this year and next, the western Easter precedes the orthodox one by a full week (which is something of the normal interval), but in 2021 the difference is April 4th (western church) to May 2nd (eastern).

Heraclitus

PI Member
Eternal death of course. Atheists bank on death equaling annihilation. It is the get-out-of-jail card for a life of degeneracy. You will be disappointed
There's substantial evidence for reincarnation (google Ian Stevenson)

So the Christians and Atheists both have it wrong.

Heraclitus

PI Member
Today is diving mercy Sunday. Christ died and a fountain of mercy poured fourth upon the whole world. St. Francis de Sales had wise words concerning the scandals caused by some priests during the 1600s. He said" those who commit these type of scandals are guilty of the spiritual equivalent of murder. But I'm here among you to prevent something far worse for you. While those who give scandal are guilty of the spiritual equivalent to murder, those who take scandal- allow scandals to destroy their faith are guilty of spiritual suicide" They are guilty of cutting off their life with Christ abandoning the source of life in the sacraments, especially the Eucharist."
What are you s**teing on about now?

darkhorse3

PI Member
Since Christianity is dead, we may as well return to our pagan roots.
Christianity is not dead by any means
And paganism is not the same as athiesm which some (but not a majority of) people profess these days
Pagans were polythiests and believed in multiple gods
Athiests believe in none

Top Bottom