• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Video Is Easter Pagan? Pagan Astarte or the Lord Jesus Christ?

The Field Marshal

PI Member
I would think, it is rather ignorant to ignore the fact. Coincidence...I think not, but whatever floats your boat and helps you to sleep at night.
Nobody is ignoring the known historical facts that you relentlessly and persistently present.
How could they.
But I would claim it is more ignorant to ignore the fact of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

But as you say whatever floats your boat and helps you to sleep at night.

page61

PI Member
Nobody is ignoring the known historical facts that you relentlessly and persistently present.
How could they.
But I would claim it is more ignorant to ignore the fact of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

But as you say whatever floats your boat and helps you to sleep at night.
Relentlessly and persistently....Sorry I did not think that contributing to a post , (actually another posters post twice) consisted of persistence, but ill take the compliment .its nice to have my dedication appreciated.

Ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to be a God fearing religious advocate ..feel free, but IMO that's for the fairies and the socially insecure . I am allowed discuss it though .

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Relentlessly and persistently....Sorry I did not think that contributing to a post , (actually another posters post twice) consisted of persistence, but ill take the compliment .its nice to have my dedication appreciated.

Ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to be a God fearing religious advocate ..feel free, but IMO that's for the fairies and the socially insecure . I am allowed discuss it though .
I’m simply recounting the historical fact that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.
A fact attested to and written about by many witnesses at the time.

You of course can talk all you want about customs that may have existed or preexisted this event.

One does not have to be even faintly religious to appreciate and understand that a man rising from the tomb after being three
days officially certified dead after execution is newsworthy and continues to be so.

Black Azrael

PI Member
Whoever complied the Book of Exodus? And 'appropriated' from Babylonian traditions of a spring festival (perhaps to celebrate/bless the sowing of the barley)?
For 'complied' read 'compiled'. Repeat after me: I hate predictive spell-checks.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Because such illogicalities were endemic to middle-eastern mystics. Mysticism is merely an attempt by the otherwise-ignorant (i.e. not possessed of modern knowledge and appreciation) to explain observable phenomena.

If the entire Biblical story has root, it may be be in the personnel of the myths of prehistoric Canaanites who had El, the supreme deity and his son, Baal, the god of rain and thunder (i.e. a sky-god). Baal goes up against Mot (the god of death and the underworld) and loses. This causes an enduring drought. Anat, the perpetually-virgin goddess of war (Cf: Athene), has to descend into the underworld, slay Mot, and release Baal. After that, you're on your own with the likes of Sir James Frazer for guide, philosopher and friend.
The entire Biblical story?! The entire Bible is an anthology of Jewish and Christian texts. The Hebrew Bible is a collection of Jewish texts (Poetry, History, Prophets).

One book, Genesis, has parallels with Babylonian/Mesopotamian epics (e.g. Gilgamesh, Enuma Elish, Ziusudra). The features of Yahwism that distinguish it from other ANE belief systems are that it is monotheistic and the Godhead transcends nature. Every other ANE belief system is a theogony. There is no such mythological narrative in the OT. YHWH simply is:

אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה,

Moreover the notion of humans being created in the divine image is arguably unique to Yahwehism. There are other distinguishing features of Yahwehism such as a focus on human dignity and the personal connection between the deity and his creation, an absence of a divine struggle to impose cosmic order (such as those that occur in Enuma Elish). Interestingly the deity merely wills order from chaos - taking pre-existing materials and shaping them into an orderly world.

There is the memory of Canannite worship practices preserved in Yahwism. As you say YHWH bears some similarity to El and Baal (riding on clouds, storms preceding revelations etc.) but it is too simplistic to assert that Yahwism is merely a copy of Canaanite reigion (or any other ANE religion). Rather should I say it is idiotic to make such a trite assertion?

What's your problem with mysticism?! Observable phenomena such as gravity has never been explained by materialism.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Illogical, mysticism?
You seek to bury the grandeur and reality of Christianity under a plethora of banal historicisms and half truths.
But you don,t do it either cleverly or with skill.
[btw there is no need to post your dross twice]
I suspect he's another one of these tedious anti-theists...oops sorry I mean atheists, who gets all his information from The God Delusion.

Even atheists - not the bargain basement variety - won't touch that steaming pile of turd.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Whoever complied the Book of Exodus? And 'appropriated' from Babylonian traditions of a spring festival (perhaps to celebrate/bless the sowing of the barley)?
Whaaaaa?

Nomadic pastoralists had spring festivals. Passover could be linked to that. Again it could be an adaptation of pre-existing rituals, but so what?!

The Hebrews of Israel were nomadic pastoralists.

Anglophile

PI Member
The Long History of How Jesus Came To Resemble a White European.....

Top Bottom