Irish Times almost surpassed by Liberal.ie on FB.

Macushla

PI Member
I think it's down to resources. As said in the OP, it's basically been run out of one man's spare room (and he and his family constantly get dogs abuse from the Libtards over it). It certainly has a lot of potential though if its owner could find one or two wealthy but patriotic minded backers. He can forget about advertising - other than some very poorly paying google ads.
Isn't he Cora Sherlock's brother? Surely the PLC should invest into it and create something proper from it. Not as if they're up to anything particularly useful now anyway after the referendum.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
The problem with the right is we don't have a professional media which will give us a fair shake. And any attempts to create alternative media tend to look shoddy and disreputable, and only appeal to people who already believe the message and can overlook its bad packaging.

theLiberal has a lot of Facebook likes and a decent reach but it needs to up its game. Nobody ever actually clicks beyond their headlines. If you ever do click into the website itself it's a poor looking template website and the "article" is just a few lines.

There's no money in telling the truth to the Irish. That's the bottom line.

Last edited:

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Isn't he Cora Sherlock's brother? Surely the PLC should invest into it and create something proper from it. Not as if they're up to anything particularly useful now anyway after the referendum.

That's very true a chara - but that crowd would be afraid to be associated with anything that criticizes, or even mentions, mass immigration. If the likes of Peter Casey were genuine they'd fund projects like The Liberal, instead of the egomanic antics they're up to now - but of course they aren't genuine.

Macushla

PI Member
There no money in telling the truth to the Irish. That's the bottom line.
The digital age makes it easier. But yes money is always the issue. It's funny how the left always wail about "where is the money coming from?!" whenever the right do anything. But they themselves are funded by the state through bankrolled NGOs.

The right still has money though. But it's squandered. Why did Irexit spend €40k on inadequate billboards which were basically wholly ineffective? That's money that could've been spent far more wisely. €40k could've been spent infinitely better on different Nationalist projects - but instead it was wasted.

Macushla

PI Member
That's very true a chara - but that crowd would be afraid to be associated with anything that criticizes, or even mentions, mass immigration. If the likes of Peter Casey were genuine they'd fund projects like The Liberal, instead of the egomanic antics they're up to now - but of course they aren't genuine.
PLC seem to want to turn themselves into a disability charity - which would be noble enough on its own - but is not at all what we need.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
The digital age makes it easier. But yes money is always the issue. It's funny how the left always wail about "where is the money coming from?!" whenever the right do anything. But they themselves are funded by the state through bankrolled NGOs.

The right still has money though. But it's squandered. Why did Irexit spend €40k on inadequate billboards which were basically wholly ineffective? That's money that could've been spent far more wisely. €40k could've been spent infinitely better on different Nationalist projects - but instead it was wasted.

Yes, billboard ads are useless unless they're part of a campaign that has real roots in the community. Same with Facebook and You Tube ads. The Pro Life Movement spent an absolute fortune on these ads last year, and I doubt if they got one single extra vote out of them. A year on, and the Pro Life Movement is as disorganized and ineffective as it ever was, with practically zero local organisation.

Macushla

PI Member
Yes, billboard ads are useless unless they're part of a campaign that has real roots in the community. Same with Facebook and You Tube ads. The Pro Life Movement spent an absolute fortune on these ads last year, and I doubt if they got one singe extra vote out of them. A year on, and the Pro Life Movement is as disorganized and ineffective as it ever was, with practically zero local organisation.
The pro-life movement just wanted to be part of the establishment. They positively drooled when they got the nod from John Bruton. People like John McGuirk were all smiles when standing next to Catherine Noone. The whole thing was a charade.

The Irexit billboards were a massive flop. As far as anyone remembers them they're only left wondering where the money came from. Because the stock response from Kelly that it was members' individual donations is simply a lie.

As things get tighter here with immigration I'd say a lot of people will be looking back quite angrily at the decision to waste €40k on billboards which weren't even in the service of a candidature. I wonder how much more money needs to be wasted on vanity projects before these flash-in-the-pan men get their heads out of their arses and start investing in the long term.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
The pro-life movement just wanted to be part of the establishment. They positively drooled when they got the nod from John Bruton. People like John McGuirk were all smiles when standing next to Catherine Noone. The whole thing was a charade.

The Irexit billboards were a massive flop. As far as anyone remembers them they're only left wondering where the money came from. Because the stock response from Kelly that it was members' individual donations is simply a lie.

As things get tighter here with immigration I'd say a lot of people will be looking back quite angrily at the decision to waste €40k on billboards which weren't even in the service of a candidature. I wonder how much more money needs to be wasted on vanity projects before these flash-in-the-pan men get their heads out of their arses and start investing in the long term.

I think Hermann is in it for the long haul, but I'm afraid he doesn't quite understand the Irish situation yet. In my view, the IRB \ IRA is the only model that works in Ireland. Local, closely knit units, based in the parish if at all possible. That's what FF and FG still do, except they are now losing the ability to hold those local units together. In my area, FF and FG are finding it very difficult to get anyone to canvass for them. They had to pay to get their posters up.

Macushla

PI Member
I think Hermann is in it for the long haul, but I'm afraid he doesn't quite understand the Irish situation yet. In my view, the IRB \ IRA is the only model that works in Ireland. Local, closely knit units, based in the parish if at all possible. That's what FF and FG still do, except they are now losing the ability to hold those local units together. In my area, FF and FG are finding it very difficult to get anyone to canvass for them. They had to pay to get their posters up.
Hermann literally lives in Brussels. I can't imagine he'll bother with Irish politics after May 24th. He naively thought he could sweep into power as he just oozed professionalism and slickness (so he thought). If he stays, good. But he needs to change track.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
You should also remember the meta-political role of the Gaelic League and to a lesser but significant degree the GAA.

Macushla

PI Member
You should also remember the meta-political role of the Gaelic League and to a lesser but significant degree the GAA.
Hard work and ingratiating yourself into the community will be what nationalists need do. Wear your nationalism on your chest though. We can't be slinking round acting as if we're engaged in something to be ashamed of.

Top Bottom