Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

COVID-19 Irish Pubs reopening discussion thread

Polyco

PI Member
If the pubs were to reopen as normal tomorrow I suspect there will be a large percentage of people who have got so use to drinking at home that they will never go back to the pub and pay rip off prices.

The pub business as we knew it is probably gone forever.
Been thinking much the same myself. Does Holohan belong to some temperance movement?

OP
IrishJohn

IrishJohn

PI Member
Interesting video from Nigel Farage that shows authorities in the UK are trying to entrap pubs into breaking covid regulations.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing is happening in Ireland.

icancani

PI Member
Hiya IrishJohn, thanks for the video. Good reporting from Nigel, and yes, the entrapment is shocking but really it's just another new trick to add to a long list of punishing persecution on peoples social liberties.
The Public Space has been changed into a rather unpleasant location for many. It's not the Britain that Nigel had hoped for.

gijoe

PI Member
If the pubs were to reopen as normal tomorrow I suspect there will be a large percentage of people who have got so use to drinking at home that they will never go back to the pub and pay rip off prices.

During the 2 or so weeks they were open there was very few people in them that I saw. The only crowds I saw in the pubs in the first lockdown were the fictional gastro pubs 'serving' €9 pizza brought in from outside. The smallest bar in my hometown were doing this, it was never being enforced on the 'regulars' who could drink away and even in the open space outside the pub they were packed like sardines without as much as a bag of taytos between them.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member

I think it's been gone a long time - defo in Dublin. Some of the trad pubs are still really nice, but some of them are trying to mix the sports bar model with the oak interior and Victorian frontage , so instead of being able to sit down and enjoy a pint, a chin wag and a moderately loud ambience, you get a headache from blaring music, a sore throat from shouting at your mate and noisome gusts exiting poop holes and drifting across the lounge.

I've nothing against loud music btw, just not in the pub.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member

Presumably we'll still be forced to purchase one of those yellow pak pizzas "cooked" by michelin rated chefs?

Polyco

PI Member
The destruction of the hospitality trade goes right to the heart of a functioning society. Inns, taverns, Roman baths and native pow wows have always played a huge part in the conduct of civilisation. That other great influence and focus of personal interaction, religion, has already been, to a large extent, decimated and rendered impotent, so what has come to dominate are channels of communication and information that come directly down from controlled sources rather than laterally through unrestrained personal exchanges with each other.

It's no accident that the pubs are being kept closed.

false flag

PI Member
There are pictures online now of people in pubs, having a drink but not eating food, this seems to be against the rules, maybe it's OK to drink in a pub with a kitchen but not actually order anything from the kitchen, it's all very confusing

Top Bottom