Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

COVID-19 Irish Pubs reopening discussion thread

IrishJohn

PI Member
Apparently you now have to give your name and address if you go to the pub.

That rules me out of going to the pub any time soon.

If anyone has gone to a pub since they reopened please comment on your experience here.

bAd

PI Member
Time to dust off the cobwebs and fire up them stil's, some home brewed booze and shebeen culture would be far healthier to the protection of our souls than social distancing and handing over addresses just to go for a coupla scoops.

Last edited:

Conall Gulban

Staff member
PI Member
Don't really go to the pub anymore, the beers are usually sh1t tier and everything is wildly overpriced. Definitely won't be going now.
They should really deregulate alcohol licencing so anyone can sell it. I'd much prefer to go to a small late night cafe or something similar for a drink than the pub.

OP
IrishJohn

IrishJohn

PI Member
If they don't get rid of these stupid covid regulations the pub trade will be finished.

Myles O'Reilly

PI Member
PI Member
Name and address?! Na, must be just the odd one doing that.

Had me first drink in near 4 months on Monday. Went in and had some chicken wings and 4 pints. Out in under 2 hours.

Surprisingly the large Weatherspoons near me remains closed yet a tiny wee pub just down from it is open!

OP
IrishJohn

IrishJohn

PI Member
Name and address?! Na, must be just the odd one doing that.

Had me first drink in near 4 months on Monday. Went in and had some chicken wings and 4 pints. Out in under 2 hours.

Surprisingly the large Weatherspoons near me remains closed yet a tiny wee pub just down from it is open!

Did you pay in cash ?

OP
IrishJohn

IrishJohn

PI Member
Don't really go to the pub anymore, the beers are usually sh1t tier and everything is wildly overpriced. Definitely won't be going now.
They should really deregulate alcohol licencing so anyone can sell it. I'd much prefer to go to a small late night cafe or something similar for a drink than the pub.

During the so called boom years Justice Minister Michael McDowell wanted to give cafes the right to serve alcohol but FF stopped him.

blue velvet

PI Member
PI Member
Those cafe bars were a far sighted proposal. Typical FF gombeens killing it. Like the way they resisted taxi deregulation.

OP
IrishJohn

IrishJohn

PI Member
Those cafe bars were a far sighted proposal. Typical FF gombeens killing it. Like the way they resisted taxi deregulation.

Taxi deregulation was a disaster and allowed Non-Nationals to take over the industry.

Top Bottom