Irish Presidential Election 2018

Who will you be voting for in the Irish Presidential Election ?

• Michael D Higgins

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Peter Casey

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • Liadh Ni Riada

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Sean Gallagher

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Gavin Duffy

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Joan Freeman

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Cant Vote/Wont Vote

Votes: 30 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Donator
Premium Account
Threads

1538040846816.png Irish Presidential Election 2018

1538040928165.png

The Presidential Election is to be held on Friday 26 October 2018

Who are the candidates?

1538041003455.png Michael D Higgins

The sitting President, 77, was born in Limerick and had an academic career in the 1960s-70s, teaching sociology in Ireland and the United States.

He entered the political arena in the late 1960s, joining the Labour Party and served as a senator in the 1980s before representing Galway West in the Dail from 1987 to 2011.

Mr Higgins is a fluent Irish speaker and served as minister for arts, culture and the Gaeltacht in the 1990s.
He is also a published poet and has presented TV documentaries.

Mr Higgins was first elected president in 2011 after running as an independent candidate

1538041113292.png Peter Casey

Derry-born businessman Peter Casey became the third star of RTE's Dragons' Den to secure the support of four councils to run for Irish President.

The 60-year-old is the founder of recruitment firm Claddagh Resources.

Mr Casey set up his business in 1995 in Atlanta.

It operates from five locations across the world, including its European base in Buncrana, Co Donegal.

He lives in the United States with his wife Helen and their five children but regularly returns to Ireland.

1538041191539.png Liadh Ni Riada

Liadh Ni Riada was unveiled as Sinn Fein's chosen candidate.

She was hot favourite for the nomination ever since the party signalled its intent to run.

The former television producer from Dublin is the daughter of legendary Irish trad musician and composer Sean O Riada.

Ms Ni Riada entered the political arena in 2011 by joining Sinn Fein.

The married mother of three daughters was elected in 2014 as one of her party's four MEPs on the island of Ireland, representing the South constituency.

1538041255483.png Sean Gallagher

The 56-year-old businessman and former Dragons' Den star from Ballyhaise, County Cavan, finished second in the 2011 Irish presidential election.

He secured more than half a million first preference votes, but lost out to Mr Higgins.

Mr Gallagher has described himself as coming from the "Fianna Fail gene pool", but is running as an independent.

In 2002 he co-founded Smarthomes, a home technology business.

The company won numerous awards for innovation, and Mr Gallagher was a finalist in the 2006 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year contest.

Mr Gallagher became a public figure during his time as an investor on RTE One's Dragons' Den from 2008 to 2011.

1538041338043.png Gavin Duffy

The entrepreneur and businessman from Sallins, Co Kildare, is best known for his role on the RTE programme Dragons' Den.

Mr Duffy, 58, started his career as a shareholder in radio stations, and in 1992 he co-founded a media and management consultancy.

He is the former owner of HRM, one of Ireland's largest recruitment companies.

His early career in the media included presenting the first RTE television business programme, Marketplace; broadcasting on Morning Ireland on RTE Radio One, and founding regional radio station LMFM.

Later, Mr Duffy became a serial entrepreneur and is now a veteran of over 40 start-ups.

1538041393882.png Joan Freeman

The independent member of the Irish Seanad is a psychologist and mental health activist from Dublin.

Senator Freeman has served on the Seanad since May 2016 after being nominated by the then taoiseach Enda Kenny. She is the chairperson on the committee on mental health.

The 60-year-old founded Pieta House, a suicide intervention charity, in 2006 in Lucan, County Dublin. It now boasts 12 additional centres around Ireland.

Senator Freeman also founded the annual fundraising event Darkness into Light in aid of Pieta House.

More on the candidates can be found here
Who are the candidates for the Irish presidential election?

OP
OP
Superhans

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
You may change your vote as many times as you wish as the campaign continues.

Threads
I'm voting for Casey. At least he has the character of being right wing. He probably wouldn't be as embarrassing meeting Trump than Higgins would. He's a total Atlanticist though, but whatever.

Threads
I'm inclined to vote for someone who's behaviour has demonstrated what they have done for the greater good in Irish public life.
Of course, this is relative to the other candidates running for election.

Joan Freeman is the candidate I think who has performed the greater good for the people of Ireland, so she will be getting my vote.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
I'm voting for Casey. At least he has the character of being right wing. He probably wouldn't be as embarrassing meeting Trump than Higgins would. He's a total Atlanticist though, but whatever.
During the last election this former pop singer from Derry called Dana Scallon ran on a basically Conservative Catholic ticket but it turned out that she had taken out US citizenship which involves swearing loyalty to the United States, when the problematic nature of this was brought up if she was to be Irish President she stated baldly that a clash of interests between the United States and Republic of Ireland was an impossibility! Now I am a hypocrite because even though I am opposed to dual citizenship I have both an ROI and UK passport however having someone with dual citizenship as your President should be seen as totally unacceptable- has this lad gone so far as to take out US citizenship? I know he lives in the USA and has done so for some time.

Top Bottom