Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Irish dept store monopoly

seabhcan

PI Member
Arnots has just been sold to the Canadian billionaire who already owns Brown Thomas. Clearys and Boyers are gone. 

Essentially the entire department store retail industry in central Dublin is now a one man show. Why isn't the competition authority investigating this?

Investigate  :) this is Ireland , where regulation is only for the little people !

publicrealm

PI Member
I agree.  

I remember Brown Thomas when it was a store  - now its just a floorspace for ridiculous franchises. Clerys went the same way and Arnotts is not too far behind.

I try to support Boyers and Guineys where possible -(Boyers was still there last week?).  I always went out of my way to support Peats on Parnell Street.

The best shopping streets now are off the main homogenised strip.

Victor Meldrew

PI Member
seabhcan said:
Arnots has just been sold to the Canadian billionaire who already owns Brown Thomas. Clearys and Boyers are gone. 

Essentially the entire department store retail industry in central Dublin is now a one man show. Why isn't the competition authority investigating this?
Have to say BT's has gone to the dogs.  Too high end and poncy.  once the Mens department went to the basement it lost its point.  Dundrum is just better, but still only so-so.

Arnotts at least had a safe car park.  Clearys died because you had to step north of the Molly Malone statue to go there.

Top Bottom