• Welcome to Political Irish.

Why not open a free account and view the site without Adverts.

Please note, for first registration you must not use a VPN, VPN registrations will be refused entry.

Click Here to sign up!

Hot Irish Battles

OP
Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly

PI Member
PI Member
Feb 3, 2017
Hitler's Wife you are a Lady amongst savages. This thread has had some light shined on it by your beautiful presence, Mam.

Hitherto its been populated by blood-lusting savage types (myself included) so your input is not only welcomed but positively desired.

God bless you Mam.😎

Dublin 4

PI Member
Nov 21, 2015
You puked on 2 Posts, I can't unpuke them but you can.

I can then delete Real's Pukes & our Posts about Pukes.

If I haven't fallen asleep again.

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Jan 23, 2020
Vinegar hill. What a legendary stand. Not really a battle more of a massacre but at least we went down fighting!

Hitsticle

PI Member
Feb 2, 2020
Hitler's Wife you are a Lady amongst savages. This thread has had some light shined on it by your beautiful presence, Mam.

Hitherto its been populated by blood-lusting savage types (myself included) so your input is not only welcomed but positively desired.

God bless you Mam.😎

Sir. Your kind words are graciously received and I am blessed to be endowed with such compliments.

TW Tone

PI Member
May 5, 2019
More often than not, it was a replication of the situation back in the old country with Catholic Irish among the Union ranks and Protestant 'Scots Irish' taking up arms on behalf of the Confederacy.

To this day, the Scots Irish are affiliated with the American South - the Appalachian region in particular, with Northeastern cities such as Boston retaining a strong and continual connection with the Irish American Catholic community.

That is quite false. Since there were many more Irish in the Union Army, there were many more Irish Catholics.
But there was a large number of Irish Catholics in the CSA, most estimates put it at over twenty thousand. There were strong links between Ireland and cities such as Charleston SC, Savannah GA and New Orleans since the eighteenth century. Including direct ship connections.
Generally there was no anti-Catholic feeling in the CSA, while of course it was endemic in Yankee states such as New Hampshire, Mass.etc

A facile and historically ignorant generalisation on your part.

Last edited:

Catalpa

PI Member
Sep 4, 2018
The Appalachians aren't in the South.

The term Hill Billy is associated with Huns living in the South & Appalachians but they are 2 Seperarate Regions.

Maybe you're mixing the Appalachians with the Ozarks, the Hill Billy Dirts live there too.

The Appalachians were mostly sympathetic to the Union as they were poorer folk who didn't own any slaves.

TW Tone

PI Member
May 5, 2019
The Appalachians were mostly sympathetic to the Union as they were poorer folk who didn't own any slaves.

Correct.
West Virginia, though not in the Appalachians, is hilly country.
Different to most of the South, which is flat.
It was part of Virginia till it seceded at the beginning of the War in order to stay with the Union.

Your remark about 'poorer folk' is a bit problematic since most people in the South didn't own slaves.

mikeo

PI Member
May 24, 2017
That is quite false. Since there were many more Irish in the Union Army, there were many more Irish Catholics.
But there was a larger number of Irish Catholics in the CSA, most estimates put it at over twenty thousand. There were strong links between Ireland and cities such as Charleston SC, Savannah GA and New Orleans since the eighteenth century. Including direct ship connections.
Generally there was no anti-Catholic feeling in the CSA, while of course it was endemic in Yankee states such as New Hampshire, Mass.etc

A facile and historically ignorant generalisation on your part.

There was a famous Catholic Priest
Abram Ryan...(I think).....
Called the 'Poet of the Confederacy"