Hot Irish Battles

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
Premium Account
I thought I might start a thread about Irish battles and see what folk might come up with over the months to come.

I'll kick it off with the Battle of Portlester in 1643 where Owen Roe's Confederates drove off a Government force commanded by Lord Moore. Lord Moore was killed by a cannon ball reportedly fired by the O'Neill himself. Portlester is a townland near the village of Ballivor in western Co Meath. There was apparently once a castle here but its just farmland now.

I thought I might start a thread about Irish battles and see what folk might come up with over the months to come.

I'll kick it off with the Battle of Portlester in 1643 where Owen Roe's Confederates drove off a Government force commanded by Lord Moore. Lord Moore was killed by a cannon ball reportedly fired by the O'Neill himself. Portlester is a townland near the village of Ballivor in western Co Meath. There was apparently once a castle here but its just farmland now.

When you say confederates and government is that Royalist against parliamentarians(cavaliers against roundheads)as in the English civil war?

YoungStudent

Donator
Premium Account
THE SIEGE OF JADOTVILLE

The Siege of Jadotville took place in September 1961, during the United Nations intervention in the Katanga conflict in Congo-Léopoldville, in Central Africa. "A" Company, 35th Battalion (UN service) of the Irish Army ONUC contingent was attacked by Katanga Gendarmerie troops loyal to the Katangese Prime Minister Moise Tshombe. The lightly armed Irish soldiers, besieged in Jadotville (modern Likasi), resisted Katangese assaults for six days as a relief force of Irish and Swedish troops unsuccessfully attempted to reach the Irish force.

The outnumbered Irish company was eventually forced to surrender after ammunition and supplies were exhausted, but not before inflicting heavy casualties on the Katangese and their mercenaries. They were held as prisoners of war for approximately one month, with no loss of life. It was the last engagement of the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC) peacekeeping mission to use Irish and Swedish troops in hostile action.

Siege of Jadotville - Wikipedia

Fascinating battle and our only modern war fight.

OP
OP
Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
Premium Account
When you say confederates and government is that Royalist against parliamentarians(cavaliers against roundheads)as in the English civil war?
That's correct Paddy
Perhaps it might be more accurate to say the Congo overall was our only modern war fight because there were a number of engagements the army were involved in, eg the Battle of the Tunnel, Niemba etc.
That is a very good film considering it was the Director's first. All he did up to that point was make music videos for U2.

That's correct Paddy
Perhaps it might be more accurate to say the Congo overall was our only modern war fight because there were a number of engagements the army were involved in, eg the Battle of the Tunnel, Niemba etc.
That is a very good film considering it was the Director's first. All he did up to that point was make music videos for U2.
Thanks for info.Although it was called the English civil war there were battles outside of England in Scotland I think.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Thirteen dead but not not forgotten - We got eighteen plus Mountbatten.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
THE SIEGE OF JADOTVILLE

The Siege of Jadotville took place in September 1961, during the United Nations intervention in the Katanga conflict in Congo-Léopoldville, in Central Africa. "A" Company, 35th Battalion (UN service) of the Irish Army ONUC contingent was attacked by Katanga Gendarmerie troops loyal to the Katangese Prime Minister Moise Tshombe. The lightly armed Irish soldiers, besieged in Jadotville (modern Likasi), resisted Katangese assaults for six days as a relief force of Irish and Swedish troops unsuccessfully attempted to reach the Irish force.

The outnumbered Irish company was eventually forced to surrender after ammunition and supplies were exhausted, but not before inflicting heavy casualties on the Katangese and their mercenaries. They were held as prisoners of war for approximately one month, with no loss of life. It was the last engagement of the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC) peacekeeping mission to use Irish and Swedish troops in hostile action.

Siege of Jadotville - Wikipedia

Those fools should have stayed at home and minded their business. Katanga should have been an independent state.

Top Bottom