Irexit Freedom had fake candidates and volunteers on their site

Druddigon

PI Member
Here's a bit of a disaster for Irexit. They've had fabricated volunteers on their website of people who didn't exist, including a pensioner who was supposed to run in Kerry with her own story on the Irexit website. It was discovered that her photo on the site was just a stock photo and her profile has since been removed.

Here's the twitter user and thread that the person who discovered this found.

A local newspaper that had announced her candidacy, the Killarney Advertiser, have since removed the article, and other local media are now asking Irexit as to why a fabricated candidate was announced.

Here's a before and after of said candidate being on and off the site, the current version results in a 404 error.

This isn't going to go well for Irexit in my opinion. If you're telling lies at this stage with who's running with regards to nonexistent candidates it's hard to build trust back up from this from even people who supported you before never mind people who haven't even heard of the party before, I was considering giving them a vote if they ran in my area in May, this will make me question them though if they're not even honest over something basic like this. I hope this doesn't hurt the nationalist movement here too much, but their credibility must be shook after this.

Last edited:

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
Why would they fabricate candidates that are easily verifiable anyway? Even from a divilment POV it doesn't make any sense.

The likelier explanation is that there was a mishap and a draft/mock up leaflet got circulated.

Druddigon

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would they fabricate candidates that are easily verifiable anyway? Even from a divilment POV it doesn't make any sense.
It could've been an attempt to make it look like there were more visible volunteers rather than the two that still exist on the website
The likelier explanation is that there was a mishap and a draft/mock up leaflet got circulated.
It could well be that, but I don't know why you would put up a bio on a candidate who doesn't even exist, never mind leaving it up on the website for a number of weeks, a placeholder wouldn't have that anyway with contact details too. It doesn't seem to just be a basic mishap, as I don't think we'll be seeing a pensioner in Kerry run for them anytime soon after this, though I'd hope it is just a blip so it does not ruin their credibility, but the evidence leans toward it being put up as a fake candidate in my view at the moment.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
It could've been an attempt to make it look like there were more visible volunteers rather than the two that still exist on the website

It could well be that, but I don't know why you would put up a bio on a candidate who doesn't even exist, never mind leaving it up on the website for a number of weeks, a placeholder wouldn't have that anyway with contact details too. It doesn't seem to just be a basic mishap, as I don't think we'll be seeing a pensioner in Kerry run for them anytime soon after this, though I'd hope it is just a blip so it does not ruin their credibility, but the evidence leans toward it being put up as a fake candidate in my view at the moment.
It's an easy mistake to make to think that your website is not visible to the public when it in fact is. I've done it a few times in the past myself.

Putting up a fake candidate would be stupid. Because you are going to get exposed, lol. I dunno how putting up a fake candidate would help you.

Druddigon

PI Member
More likely another SF fake tweet like Sean Gallaghers downfall.
Wouldn't trust a word until verification.
That's a good point, the one in the article in radio Kerry is also a Shinner, whether it means anything or not is another thing. I don't think they'll be announcing this as a mistake soon either, I would imagine it would be done by now if that was the case, either way it'll probably be swept under the rug as a placeholder or a fake candidate.
It's an easy mistake to make to think that your website is not visible to the public when it in fact is. I've done it a few times in the past myself.

Putting up a fake candidate would be stupid. Because you are going to get exposed, lol. I dunno how putting up a fake candidate would help you.
The only issue is the contact details, now unless the template that was used was just as a placeholder which autofilled contact details, which is likely.

The reason for putting up fake candidates is to make the party seem bigger than it is, which will backfire either way. Ghost/token candidates would be in a similar boat thinking about it now, like in the last election a lot of FF and FG candidates who were women existed but were there just to fulfill the 30% gender quota and didn't really canvass much in some areas. I can't see any of the newer nationalist parties wanting to play by quota rules at the time being either.

Druddigon

PI Member
You did the same thing as that Killarney Journalist- ran yer Gub without checking the facts, this is their last Tweet.

You look Daft, not them...
Well I take back what I've said then, I jumped onto the trail without seeing the full picture. That's a solid explaination, great that this shouldn't affect the party.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
You did the same thing as that Killarney Journalist- ran yer Gub without checking the facts, this is their last Tweet.

You look Daft, not them...

It's shocking the low standards of "Irish journalism." What a pity that Druddigon has fallen prey to these peddlers of Fake News.

Serrice

PI Member
This is hilariously embarrassing and Irexit & Hermann's statements in response to it are also hilariously unprofessional. Looks like he typed it up while on the bog in the pub after a few pints.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
This is hilariously embarrassing and Irexit & Hermann's statements in response to it are also hilariously unprofessional. Looks like he typed it up while on the bog in the pub after a few pints.

I would have thought the embarrassment would have been on the part of the Fake News Media, who have been caught out so badly.

Top Bottom