IQ and moral worth?

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
Premium Account
Across the West, those higher up the socio-economic ladder are far more likely to practice yoga or meditation than re-involve themselves in Christianity.
Or when having got lucky with a couple of property deals during the Tiger, take up "golf" in Thailand, right Clitus?

I have seen such data before, but could good education through the generations not be a compounding factor too?
Max, apparently the most you can increase your IQ from intensive IQ test coaching or educational factors is about 9 or 10 points.

The tests are usually conducted in two parts. one which is very abstract in an effort to remove cultural bias
and one which consists of logical questions and language elements.
The higher result of the two is the one taken.

A high IQ is apparently a genetic gift or a curse of nature.

It would seem, statistically speaking, that jewish and asian people do have an innate genetic advantage as regards whatever IQ tests are measuring

Only was bothered to read the first post.

The focus on intelligence quotient is detrimental to the education of the young in a) Providing the people who do well in the test a false sense of achievement & b) Dissuading the people who do not from reading literature & philosophy. First of all someone's value is determined by various factors the most important being an understanding of the various fields of literature & philosophy regardless of intelligence quotient. Even in the situation in which some one does not live up to his potential early in life they should still pursue reading in general regardless of intelligence quotient. Often it is simply the case that these people never bothered to pick up homer or the presocratics in their teens. On the other side of the spectrum we have those with extremely high intelligence quotient that are just the same.

In short- Intelligence Quotient will simply make you worry needlessly or else provide you with a false sense of achievement.

Last edited:

The focus on intelligence quotient is detrimental to the education of the young in a) Providing the people who do well in the test a false sense of achievement & b) Dissuading the people who do not from reading literature & philosophy. First of all someone's value is determined by various factors the most important being an understanding of the various fields of literature & philosophy regardless of intelligence quotient. Even in the situation in which some one does not live up to his potential early in life they should still pursue reading in general regardless of intelligence quotient. Often it is simply the case that these people never bothered to pick up homer or the presocratics in their teens. On the other side of the spectrum we have those with extremely high intelligence quotient that are just the same.

In short- Intelligence Quotient will simply make you worry needlessly or else provide you with a false sense of achievement.
Another very pompous pronouncement about IQ.
Interesting that the poster strongly advocating reading readily admits to not bothering to actually read the thread before responding! :rolleyes:

At least I can say that I draw on some solid direct and indirect experience in discussing this matter having successfully passed a supervised MENSA test and met and chatted to many "gifted" high IQ individuals at meetings over the years

Well IQ tests certainly do measure something!
It's all about taking some new information and using it quickly to solve problems per unit time.
Anyone can solve these problems given enough time. But high IQ folks just manage to do it so much faster.
Tests are repeatable and would seem to measure a general speed of thinking in several dimensions, both logical and creative.

This very general facility can be applied in any direction you care to apply it to, be it reading philosophy, studying abstract mathematics or just working out your grocery bill, or neurotically analysing your social interactions to the point of madness.

Why is there such a strong prejudice against people who are brighter than average?

I would suggest an inferiority complex on the part of those who are less "gifted"!

They needn't worry. It's often as much a curse as a gift. Society is not designed for people whose IQs are several standard deviations from the norm so their social lives are often problematic and they are prone to becoming quite alienated. That is why societies such as MENSA exist. As a social club for these misfits who do not really belong.

If you have an IQ of 70 you are considered "special needs" but if you have an IQ over 150 your special needs are not catered for in any way, even though you are nearly twice as far from the norm as the 70 IQ person. Something to ponder.

I would say be thankful if your IQ is around the 120-125 mark. It's considered a sweet spot.
That's smarter than most but not smart enough to be problematic.

Last edited:
Interesting that the poster strongly advocating reading readily admits to not bothering to actually read the thread before responding!
I suggest that reading bound books be open to everyone. The idea of someone going without an understanding of literature & philosophy is quite ridiculous. Likewise it is irrelevant whether you have unlimited potential or not if you never put it to use. Simply having a strong brain without using it- as in belonging to someone who is slothful- is useless.

The Equaliser

Staff member
I don't wish to break up such a highbrow thread with my brash, uncouth and generally fucking stupid bigoted sweeping statements, however, it would be rude not to. Most Jews I have met are shrewd fuckers and I have yet to meet one who is a down and out dosser. They have fingers in most pies, even though they only number approximately 400,000 in UK plc. From this they know how to circumnavigate any law they don't wish to observe or avoid any practice in which they don't want to participate in. Whether or not they have an IQ to be a member of MENSA or a level to that of imbecility is of fuck all consequence. They are not short of money and they know this will also do the talking when required.
Then you look at the moslem goat herding populace. Nigh on 4 million of the fuckers and they don't carry the weight of the Jews. Maybe the gene pool is somewhat limited, the cousin fucking may be a contributory factor. They are not over represented in banking or the judiciary like Jews, so their power is less marked, hence why there is quiet, but nonetheless considerable sympathy among their ranks for terrorist actions.

I don't like any Dolly Parton fan and the older I get the more insular, cantankerous, pig shit ignorant, bilious and fucking thick I am becoming.

IQ is a signal as to how prepped you are to find a function in an amoral technocratic society. I tend to distrust people who are masters in that mileui. And I think it's odd people obsess over it so.

I know several high IQ people who are the most obnoxious, unwise snowflakes I know. I'm sure there are shier people with high IQs who are steadier people. But it's still kinda startling.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member

Well there is intelligence and than there is wisdom which I would define as the ability to actually use the intelligence that you have been given. Very often you come across people who are indeed quite intelligent but are also very unwise.

Myles O'Reilly

Donator
Premium Account
IQ is a signal as to how prepped you are to find a function in an amoral technocratic society. I tend to distrust people who are masters in that mileui. And I think it's odd people obsess over it so. I know several high IQ people who are the most obnoxious, unwise snowflakes I know. I'm sure there are shier people with high IQs who are steadier people. But it's still kinda startling.
That is true Potato Head but it can hardly be a coincidence that the ethinc groups with the lowest IQ (Africans, Aborigines) were living in mud huts when higher IQ peoples had built modern societies.

While I never bought into it instead holding to the general Catholic position that intelligence is neither here nor there when it comes to moral worth there does exist with Protestantism (as well as Eastern forms of Christianity) a cult of "Holy Stupidity", basically the belief that the thicker someone is the more likely they are to be a good person, so when I first read "A People that shall dwell Alone" by Kevin MacDonald a thing that really disturbed me was discovering that in Rabbinic Judaism lack of intelligence is associated with evil and it's Religious texts were often extremely cruel about the not that bright. I have noticed though that lately a lot of "Conservatives" here have also adopted the belief that IQ is linked into the moral worth of the person. Having thought about this issue what I think is that lower IQ people when they are good generally speaking are much more straight forwardly good and likewise when they are evil they are much more uninhibitedly so.
Good thread topic. My IQ might a little bit above average bu my focus and memory are poor sometimes. I remember what I consider important and not much else. Well, that's not exactly true, I suppose I remember stuff well enough to get by.

My aunt Joelle, who just passed away at the age of 64 on 1/22/18 used to say: "The more you know, the worse off you are" - I think that's kinda true concerning the reality of this fallen and perverted world.

Top Bottom