Interesting Books

Catalpa

PI Member
Just started De Valera in America: The Rebel President and the Making of Irish Independence by Dave Hannigan

Rattling good yarn about Dev in the Land of the Free and how he played it for all it was worth for Ireland's Cause

Heraclitus

PI Member
Masters of the planet: the search for our human origins by Ian Tattersall is an excellent read.

Fifty thousand years ago - merely a blip in evolutionary time - our Homo sapiens ancestors were competing for existence with several other human species, just as their precursors had done for millions of years. Yet something about our species distinguished it from the pack, and ultimately led to its survival while the rest became extinct. Just what was it that allowed Homo sapiens to become masters of the planet? Ian Tattersall, curator emeritus at the American Museum of Natural History, takes us deep into the fossil record to uncover what made humans so special. Surveying a vast field from initial bipedality to language and intelligence, Tattersall argues that Homo sapiens acquired a winning combination of traits that was not the result of long-term evolutionary refinement. Instead, the final result emerged quickly, shocking our world and changing it forever.

Schloß Rodriganda - Karl May

You ever read him, Tadhg? Not exactly high-brow literature, but I heard he used to be read all the time by boys in Germany, so I thought I would give it a go, and I have some mystic attraction to castles.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
PI Member
Schloß Rodriganda - Karl May

You ever read him, Tadhg? Not exactly high-brow literature, but I heard he used to be read all the time by boys in Germany, so I thought I would give it a go, and I have some mystic attraction to castles.
Not that particular work, but I've read his Western stuff, which is pretty good, considering he hadn't set foot in the States when he wrote them.

I believe he's singularly responsible for the immense amount of German interest in the Wild West.

Top Bottom