Information on genetics in the Republic of Ireland?

Arlene foster, for example, looks like someone from the west of Donegal or Mayo.

Quite a few Unionists are phenotypically more Irish than the average inhabitant of the Pale.

Arlene foster, for example, looks like someone from the west of Donegal or Mayo.

Quite a few Unionists are phenotypically more Irish than the average inhabitant of the Pale.
Controversial but definitely true.
I'm not an expert but the west of Scotland and Ulster would be far more closely related genetically than any other parts of Ireland

the average Dub looks more like someone from a provincial British city than someone than they do someone from Donegal

That would make sense though no?
Traditionally the Dubs would have been the most mixed, with Norse, English over successive waves, Welsh, Scottish and so on
It's certainly true in my case.
While I'm for the most part a Gael, I also have Scottish, Italian, English and Danish ancestry.
And I doubt I'm unique in that regard.

On the other hand, rural peoples tend to have less admixture.
Every successive wave of immigration tends to settle in the cities.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
I'd say I could spot any Irish people - including Protestants from the north. There is something common to all Irish people, despite the differences. I'd say that's the Celtic blood and the Gaelic language. Even if some of the Ulster Protestants never spoke Gaelic, they were constantly around people who did - even in Scotland. Mind you, that leaves the question of could I spot a Scottish person in a crowd? Not sure about that. Probably if they had red hair and wearing a kilt...
Some of the Anglo-Irish or those with strong Anglo-Irish strains you probably wouldn't be able to spot. I remember being when someone in England told me she was from Ireland but she was in fact from here. I can spot people from Ulster in Scotland, don't ask me how but I can.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine

Actually Arlene Foster is ethnically more or less Irish Gaelic though the family have tried to hide it- I suspect that maybe why she goes out of her way to "prove" her "True Blue" colours. I suspect something similar is going on with Michael McIvor on the other side of the "Peace Wall".

Some of the Anglo-Irish or those with strong Anglo-Irish strains you probably wouldn't be able to spot. I remember being when someone in England told me she was from Ireland but she was in fact from here. I can spot people from Ulster in Scotland, don't ask me how but I can.
A sizeable chunk of the Anglo Irish are descended from soldier settlers from Wales and the West of England.

And then you have the likes of the Barons of Inchiquin and the Guinness family who are of Gaelic extraction.

In Rural Ireland (people don't like to admit this) there would have been quite a lot of interbreeding and this goes back very early to the beginnings of the Clan system to fairly recently to the early 20th century.
People marrying their 3rd 4th or 5th cousins was not at all uncommon.
It's still the case in the some Gaelic areas like Gweedore

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
A sizeable chunk of the Anglo Irish are descended from soldier settlers from Wales and the West of England.

And then you have the likes of the Barons of Inchiquin and the Guinness family who are of Gaelic extraction.
Actually it is strange that the Anglo-Irish group which are the most likable and most integrated are the descendants of New Model Army soldiers who settled here. Though they produce atavistic flair ups such as Mercurial on Politics.ie. I think you are confusing there the Anglo-Irish with the "Old English". Two different groups with two different histories.

In Rural Ireland (people don't like to admit this) there would have been quite a lot of interbreeding and this goes back very early to the beginnings of the Clan system to fairly recently to the early 20th century.
People marrying their 3rd 4th or 5th cousins was not at all uncommon.
It's still the case in the some Gaelic areas like Gweedore
I think it's the same in every sparsely populated area the world over.

It actually has its advantages.
Marrying first and second cousins over successive generations can help increase the concentration of good genes.

It's why the Ashkenazi Jews have the highest average IQ of any group.
But they're also prone to recessive genetic disorders like Tay sachs.

Last edited:
Actually it is strange that the Anglo-Irish group which are the most likable and most integrated are the descendants of New Model Army soldiers who settled here. Though they produce atavistic flair ups such as Mercurial on Politics.ie. I think you are confusing there the Anglo-Irish with the "Old English". Two different groups with two different histories.
No, the Anglo Irish.

The "Old English" were subsumed into the native Catholic population.
If you have "Fitz" in your surname, it's usually an indication of Norman (Old English) ancestry.

Celt.ucc.ie
For anyone that's interested this link is an absolute treasure trove of Irish historical documents.
It has everything from the Annals to Clann histories to satirical poems written by the ollamhs.
There are descriptions and travel writings of Ireland by foreigners both English and continental (some going back to the 15th century)
It's an amazing resource but takes a lot of time to go through

Actually Arlene Foster is ethnically more or less Irish Gaelic though the family have tried to hide it- I suspect that maybe why she goes out of her way to "prove" her "True Blue" colours. I suspect something similar is going on with Michael McIvor on the other side of the "Peace Wall".
That's interesting I never would have guessed due to her surname.
I remember years ago reading that Ken Maginnis was telling Martin McGuinness that he was of a higher status within the Clan or was more 'pure' or something like that and Martin was not amused to say the least.