if yeats had written a novel what would it have been like

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
Not Yeats, but Joyce had a go at writing novels. I started reading Portrait of the Artist. To be honest, life is too short to waste more time seeing that through to the end. I can only but imagine what tripe in contained within Ulysses. Joyce, not half the novelist that Walter Macken was.

The Tuath .

PI Member
Not Yeats, but Joyce had a go at writing novels. I started reading Portrait of the Artist. To be honest, life is too short to waste more time seeing that through to the end. I can only but imagine what tripe in contained within Ulysses. Joyce, not half the novelist that Walter Macken was.
His short novels are quite good in fairness , I haven't attempted Ulysses or Finnegans Wake .

Zosimus

PI Member
If Yeats had written a novel it would probably have been of a theosophical bent, somewhat like the work of Meyrink.

Something I'd like to remark on is that Yeats is with the exception of Pessoa the only writer I know of who went deep into practice of the occult without ever losing his sense of beauty. Most fin-de-siècle occultists have a mark or 'smell' to their work that is disconcerting at best and repulsive at worst (think of Austin Osman Spare). Yeats and Pessoa are the only writers from that milieu not to have an unpleasant 'séance smell' lingering over their art.

page61

PI Member
I love Walter Macken ,A fantastic writer, I marvel of the feeling he envokes in his books. I just re read ,seek ye fair landsMacken was a storyteller, Joyce was something else. I thought Dubliners was a great piece of writing, Finnegans wake . I could see how Ulysses could put people off. Joyce is to writing what Picasso was to art.

Yeats might have surprised us.. He could have written a romantic novel or an occult one . he was into both deeply.

Top Bottom