• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

IBEC calls for review of Covid Payments as Leo says Businesses struggle to hire worker's

Cassandra Syndrome

PI Member
IBEC calls for review of Covid Payments as Leo says Businesses struggle to hire worker's

I would argue that if people are earning more on Covid Payments then questions need to be asked why are Irish Businesses paying such terrible wages in the first place?

Are people really that hard up working that they prefer the Covid Payment or is this yet more kite flying to build support to drop the payment when it expires on June 8th.

Taoiseach says some businesses finding it difficult to fill jobs as they reopen

Some businesses are finding it difficult to fill jobs as they attempt to resume trading.

Ibec is calling for the Covid-19 unemployment payment, which is worth 350 euro per week, to be reviewed as a matter of urgency.

Almost 4 in 10 people claiming the payment were earning less than 300 euro per week before the outbreak.

BSA

PI Member
Contrary to the nonsense spouted by the Irish Regime for the last twenty years.
Ireland is a low wage economy for most people and the biggest competitor to a lot of 'employment' is our welfare system...most low wage jobs in a high cost country like Ireland is subsistence employment..not all that dissimilar to welfare.

That's why the borders are open..somewhere in the world there must be people who'll be grateful for Irish minimum rate jobs..

We just haven't found them yet..we'll keep bringing them in until we do.

missy

PI Member
Ireland is a low wage economy for most people
Sorry to cut you short, but no it's not.
It's seriously not. So much so that it's in the top 5.

Ireland is one of the highest minimum wage paying countries in the world.
I think you're conflating low paid with poor affordability.
The high cost of living is the government's fault (look at how they add to the cost of building homes).
You can't fault business for paying one of the highest minimum wages in the world.

Superhans

Staff member
Administrator
Donator
Sorry to cut you short, but no it's not.
It's seriously not.

Ireland is one of the highest minimum wage paying countries in the world.
I think you're conflating low paid with poor affordability.
The high cost of living is the government's fault (look at how they add to the cost of building homes).
You can't fault business for paying one of the highest minimum wages in the world.
We break 1 low paid full time job into multiple part time jobs. Whilst the rate of pay may be good the number of hours worked are low.

Dublin 4

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
All those Filipino Nurses doing the Jobs that the Polish, Latvian, Italian Swedish German, Potugese, Greek, French Irish won't do...

datsunireland

PI Member
We break 1 low paid full time job into multiple part time jobs. Whilst the rate of pay may be good the number of hours worked are low.
Most SV supermarket operate those conditions. They get lot's of local kudos for employing scores of people but only typically 4 hr days - no rest breaks given. Max profit. Fuckall use for anyone trying to buy a house.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Poster of the Year
Ireland is a low wage economy for most people and the biggest competitor to a lot of 'employment' is our welfare system...most low wage jobs in a high cost country like Ireland is subsistence employment..not all that dissimilar to welfare.

That's why the borders are open..somewhere in the world there must be people who'll be grateful for Irish minimum rate jobs..

We just haven't found them yet..we'll keep bringing them in until we do.

Very true a chara. I was talking to a girl in my local supermarket and I was shocked to learn that the staff hadn't been given any extra money over this crisis - though the whole society would have collapsed without them. She told me that she was taking home 350 euro a week - the same as what she'd have got if she had just stayed home.

Polyco

PI Member
Very true a chara. I was talking to a girl in my local supermarket and I was shocked to learn that the staff hadn't been given any extra money over this crisis - though the whole society would have collapsed without them. She told me that she was taking home 350 euro a week - the same as what she'd have got if she had just stayed home.
I believe that Tesco upped the wages by 10% at the start of the covid event but I don't know whether they are still getting it. The question arises as to what sort of promises were made to the big stores to get them onboard and make them so confident as to pay the extra? Tesco have been penny pinching for years and have quietly shed vast numbers of staff through not replacing natural turnover so I can only assume they will expect some sort of payback. Meanwhile many thousands of smaller businesses suffer or close completely.

Top Bottom