Hurricane Warning for Ireland and the UK Sunday 15th / Monday 16th!

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Donator
Premium Account
Threads

Looks like we are going to get hit dead on, seems Sunday night and early Monday morning could see chaos around the country.

Hurricane/Storm Ophelia

Templar

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Getting worried about strong gusts perhaps the east coast wont get it too bad. Going to secure my Beehives which are my main concern.

Last edited:

TheKing

King of Fine Gael
Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Didnt know about this till I read this thread, why isnt the government warning us?
I would imagine they are waiting for clearer models to show just how bad it will be. Id expect some sort of official warning tomorrow night if it is as bad as it seems.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Didnt know about this till I read this thread, why isnt the government warning us?
People are probably still nervous about forecasting storms after the opprobrium heaped on Michael Fish where he reassured the public that there was nothing to worry about the day before the worst storm in 300 years wreaked devastation across southern England back in 1987.

By the way a number of years after that I worked with a guy who was working as a forecaster in the Met Office at that time who explained what happened.
Back then they used to rely on Ships travelling across the Atlantic radioing in their position and the weather conditions they were experiencing to predict the weather and it was a report radioed in by a Russian ship that it turned out was 100 miles south of where it it said it was that resulted in the Met Office predicting the Storm would pass across France rather than England.

Threads
Status red wind warning in place for west coast on Monday

A status red weather warning has been issued for a number of counties on the west coast for Monday.

The remains of Hurricane Ophelia is expected to bring mean wind speeds in excess of 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h to counties Mayo, Galway, Clare, Kerry and Cork.
A status orange warning is in place for the rest of the country, with mean wind speeds of between 65 and 80km/h expected, and gusts of between 110 and 130km/h.
Winds may not be as strong in inland areas.

Both warnings come into effect from 9am on Monday morning.

Met Éireann have warned of potential structural damage and flooding as a result of the storm.

However, they say there is still a high degree of uncertainty regarding the exact track and evolution of the storm.

Status red wind warning ahead of Atlantic storm

time to batten up those hatches.

Threads
I always get a little embarrassed when Americans are in situ with Irish "hurricane" discussions and all the moanin' we do .

An Irish "hurricane" is nothin' more than a stiff breeze and a bit of a splash compared to the antics the weather gets up to in America.

Even our snows hardly last more than a week and it hasn't really snowed much in the last few years at all. Imagine being a Canadian?

We're the country that moans the most about the weather yet we probably have the most 'balanced' climate on earth.

As this is a nightly thing I'll probably sleep through it and be none the wiser. In fact, I doubt I'll even have cause to cancel by late night round-the-block power-walk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom