How will you vote on the Blasphemy Referendum?

How will you vote on the Blasphemy Referendum?

• Tá / Yes - to change the Constitution

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Níl / No - To keep the current Constitution

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Cant Vote/Wont Vote

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Spoilt Ballot

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
When it suits them.
What do you mean exactly?

Thinking about it the only people I have come across in Ireland who are in favour of tougher "Hate Speech" laws have been either Ulster Prods who really have it in for their more savage brethren (UK Hate Speech laws thank God don't apply in Northern Ireland) or Jews.

Heraclitus

PI Member
What do you mean exactly?

Thinking about it the only people I have come across in Ireland who are in favour of tougher "Hate Speech" laws have been either Ulster Prods who really have it in for their more savage brethren (UK Hate Speech laws thank God don't apply in Northern Ireland) or Jews.
Exhibit A: our libel laws.

Nicenin

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
That wouldn't surprise me at all. There seems to be about 30% of Irish who still have brains. The rest now have easily malleable shit between their ears.
I think on this issue repealing in principle is correct. Criticising an inalienable concept should not be an offence. But one can remain suspicious about the reasons for this Regime wanting it gone.

Heraclitus

PI Member
I think on this issue repealing in principle is correct but one can remain suspicious about the reasons for the Regime wanting it gone.
Our libel laws should be a far greater concern.

Repealing "Blasphemy", even though the electorate made the right choice IMO, is chickenfeed in comparison.

Truthisfree

PI Member
I think on this issue repealing in principle is correct. Criticising an inalienable concept should not be an offence. But one can remain suspicious about the reasons for this Regime wanting it gone.
I was more suspicious about it being put in place the first time! It has never been used despite was it Stephen Fry who tried his best to be done for it?

I can understand your suspicion though...

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
I was more suspicious about it being put in place the first time! It has never been used despite was it Stephen Fry who tried his best to be done for it?

I can understand your suspicion though...
The Churches said that they didn't want it but instead a clause that would set in stone Religious Liberty, the only Religious group that said they wanted it were the Sunni Muslims. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of writing a blank cheque on the question of Religious Liberty while groups such as Takferi Jihadists, Scientologists and Chabad exist in this world but there you go. It wasn't Catholics or Protestants who pushed for this- the whole thing was deeply strange.

Truthisfree

PI Member
The Churches said that they didn't want it but instead a clause that would set in stone Religious Liberty, the only Religious group that said they wanted it were the Sunni Muslims. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of writing a blank cheque on the question of Religious Liberty while groups such as Takferi Jihadists, Scientologists and Chabad exist in this world but there you go. It wasn't Catholics or Protestants who pushed for this- the whole thing was deeply strange.
Yes it was Catherine, very strange indeed, Did the Sunni Muslims speak against the referendum? I think Religious liberty could clash with the law and human rights, Scientology being the grey area.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
Yes it was Catherine, very strange indeed, Did the Sunni Muslims speak against the referendum? I think Religious liberty could clash with the law and human rights, Scientology being the grey area.
I am not sure. I would presume that their was stuff said about it in Mosques however I don't personally know any Muslims in Ireland.

If I had believed that there was any chance of the referendum not being passed I would have voted against it for a variety of reasons even though ideally I would like see blasphemy banned- however enforcing such in the country that we live in would be far too messy and one has to at least attempt to be realistic.

Truthisfree

PI Member
I am not sure. I would presume that their was stuff said about it in Mosques however I don't personally know any Muslims in Ireland.

If I had believed that there was any chance of the referendum not being passed I would have voted against it for a variety of reasons even though ideally I would like see blasphemy banned- however enforcing such in the country that we live in would be far too messy and one has to at least attempt to be realistic.
I do know some Muslims here, will ask next time I see them. Impossible to enforce exactly. You're down the rabbit hole when you try to create laws around belief systems.

Una

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account

Bad dog

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
O’Gorman added that the government "must still ensure" that religions are protected from forms of discrimination.

"This referendum outcome does not make people's freedom of religion or belief less protected," he said.
"The Government must still ensure that everyone can manifest and practice their religion without discrimination or threat.

"We also need to have robust prohibition of inciting hatred on religious and other grounds, in law and practice."

Says dick face.

Here comes hate crime. Any depiction of the worlds best know paedophile in a negative sense will be seen as inciting hatred on religious grounds. The muzzies in Ireland were said to to oppose the removal, a false flag in my opinion to sway voters to vote for its removal on the grounds that the muzzies opposed it.

Reactions: Una
Top Bottom